Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MMA Beginners Advice

• 08-04-2013 10:43pm
    Site Banned Posts: 79 ✭✭

How easy/hard is it to get into this sport. I am very fit. Looking to gain a bit more poundage but can handle myself well

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Dave 101

Bulky Boy wrote: »
    How easy/hard is it to get into this sport. I am very fit. Looking to gain a bit more poundage but can handle myself well

join a club and ask the coach about competing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Very easy if you're in an area with a club nearby. Just give them a ring and go to their next class for beginners. The MMA forum might be your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Also, its called mixed martial arts. Cage fighting is a sort of frown upon as a name for the sport due to the media presented it in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

1. 1st off I've never seen 2 cages fighting!

B. If you're looking to gain weight do weights and eat more, if you want to learn to fight with skill get to your nearest MMA club

What area are you based so we can advise what's available to you?

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DavidPhelan

cowzerp wrote: »
    1. 1st off I've never seen 2 cages fighting!

B. If you're looking to gain weight do weights and eat more, if you want to learn to fight with skill get to your nearest MMA club

What area are you based so we can advise what's available to you?

Sorry but had to say it; After 1 comes 2. B usually follows A. Numbers and letters are hard!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

Hate it when people call it "cage fighting."

You wouldn't call boxing "ring fighting" or Judo "Mat fighting."

As for the op's question, google MMA clubs in your area and go check it out.

Sorry but had to say it; After 1 comes 2. B usually follows A. Numbers and letters are hard!:D

Irony seems lost on you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Thread title changed/
    Thread moved to MMA

• Site Banned Posts: 79 ✭✭Bulky Boy

Can you make much money doing it ?

Oh dear
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056919197

Not unless youre prepared to make great sacrifice to make it to the top.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 G Spark

...but can handle myself well

You don't seem to realise the amount of hard work & dedication to training in the technical aspects of MMA it takes to even get to fight as an amateur?

What do you think qualifies you as being able to "handle yourself well"?

Sorry to sound like I'm interviewing you for a job, but I'm genuinely curious as it seems you're fairly ignorant (I mean that in the least offensive way possible) to the sport of MMA. Sound.

G Spark wrote: »
    You don't seem to realise the amount of hard work & dedication to training in the technical aspects of MMA it takes to even get to fight as an amateur?

What do you think qualifies you as being able to "handle yourself well"?

Sorry to sound like I'm interviewing you for a job, but I'm genuinely curious as it seems you're fairly ignorant (I mean that in the least offensive way possible) to the sport of MMA. Sound.

I can handle myself in a self defence manner naturally without training. I have pummelled a number of lads wii deserved it with ease on a more than 1 on 1 situation where I was te one outnumbered

I can handle myself in a self defence manner naturally without training. I have pummelled a number of lads wii deserved it with ease on a more than 1 on 1 situation where I was te one outnumbered

And on that note I'm out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭_oveless_

Just to go off track slightly but I always find it ironic that most mma fans always say they hate the term "cage fighting", and yet nearly every promotion uses the word "cage" in the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

_oveless_ wrote: »
    Just to go off track slightly but I always find it ironic that most mma fans always say they hate the term "cage fighting", and yet nearly every promotion uses the word "cage" in the title.

Enclosed Fighting Area Heroes doesn't have quite the same ring to it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Two Competitors Fighting in an Enclosed Matted Mesh Fenced Arena or TCFEMMFA for short...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

RoboRat wrote: »
    Two Competitors Fighting in an Enclosed Matted Mesh Fenced Arena or TCFEMMFA for short...

Perfect.
    I like the way it rolls off the tongue.

That's what she said last night... badooom tish

Im here all week...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

RoboRat wrote: »
    That's what she said last night... badooom tish

Im here all week...

I'll get your coat......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

One thing MMA teaches you is humbleness - you quickly learn that no matter how big or strong or hard or capable you think you are, there's always someone else who could knock seven bells out of you without breaking a sweat.

• Advertisement

_oveless_ wrote: »

Cages can't fight, It's a stupid term-It is done in a cage so mentioning cage to get people to have a clue what it is we do is sometimes needed, I'm off to do some ring Boxing-Laters!

Cages can't fight, It's a stupid term-It is done in a cage so mentioning cage to get people to have a clue what it is we do is sometimes needed, I'm off to do some ring Boxing-Laters!

Meet the next womens boxing champ....

girl-stacking-boxes-218x300.jpg

One thing MMA teaches you is humbleness - you quickly learn that no matter how big or strong or hard or capable you think you are, there's always someone else who could knock seven bells out of you without breaking a sweat.

You need confidence I succeed when engaging in combat with anyone

You need confidence to succeed when engaging in combat with anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

You need confidence to succeed when engaging in combat with anyone

True, but confidence isn't worth a damn without ability.

You might be confident, but go for a roll / spar with Conor McGregor, Norman Parke, Cathal Pendred, Chris Fields or any amount of high-level guys and you find out that it's a different ball-game.

I'm not slating you, all I'm saying is that claiming to have beaten up a few arseholes on the street means absolutely nothing in an MMA gym.

True, but confidence isn't worth a damn without ability.

You might be confident, but go for a roll / spar with Conor McGregor, Norman Parke, Cathal Pendred, Chris Fields or any amount of high-level guys and you find out that it's a different ball-game.

I'm not slating you, all I'm saying is that claiming to have beaten up a few arseholes on the street means absolutely nothing in an MMA gym.

That's why I am getting started on training diet and getting inked

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Dave 101

That's why I am getting started on training diet and getting inked

Getting inked increases your game by 50% instantly....

Your having a laugh really so I don't think anybody woll respond to anymore if ur posts

Taking tattoo pain means you can taking fighting pain when required

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Get your missus to beat you around the place with a two by four for a bit instead, it's cheaper and you won't have to take time off traning while it heals like you do with tattoos. All the pain, all the gain

• Advertisement

Nobody mentioned the mandatory Mohawk? Seriously, since I got mine, my game has increased ten fold.

Plus DO NOT forget to wear Tapout T-shirts everywhere, people WILL BE SCARED. I recently wore mine out clubbing and I went up to a 6 foot 5 Polish lad who was with his hottie missus and I just got dug into her. He knew straight away that I was NOT to be messed with, he even bought me a drink and offered to drive us home and promised to wait in the car until I was done.

Best of luck with the training, in no time you will be the man that men fear and women lust after.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement