Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Ceepo wrote: »
    Not much benefit to doing push ups full stop.

Stronger chest, arms , core, what's not to like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Ceepo

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Stronger chest, arms , core, what's not to like?

Isolated bilateral movements. Ask yourself, does it transfer in gait, or anything else that you do in a daily basis.

The clip I linked will give you strong chest, arms core and also integrating glute and hamstrings calves, while at the same time bringing in contralateral movement to engage posterior and anterior oblique slings. Which does transfer into every day activities and gait..

Seems an obvious choice to me which to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

But saying "I can do 50 contralateral step presses" isn't going to impress the ladies, think I'll stick with the push ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Is Garmin acting up for anyone else this week? Every run i’ve done this week it’s recommended at least 3 days recovery after each one and my HR is giving crazy readings also.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The two are likely related. Probably a problem with your HR monitor.

If the HR is reading as higher than normal then your recovery time will be higher also.

I haven' seen any problems with mine.

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    The two are likely related. Probably a problem with your HR monitor.

If the HR is reading as higher than normal then your recovery time will be higher also.

I haven' seen any problems with mine.

Built in HR monitor on the watch, any recommendations? Certainly ain’t ill in anyway for the HR to be the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

OOnegative wrote: »
    Is Garmin acting up for anyone else this week? Every run i’ve done this week it’s recommended at least 3 days recovery after each one and my HR is giving crazy readings also.

Is the HRM locking on to your cadence instead of HR?

Is the HRM locking on to your cadence instead of HR?

Sorry P, I wouldn’t have a clue where to check that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Built in HR monitor on the watch, any recommendations? Certainly ain’t ill in anyway for the HR to be the way it is.

I don't know really, do you have an external HR strap you could use for a test?

Other than that it would be a case of maybe restarting/resetting the watch to see if that makes a difference and if that doesn't work then get onto Garmin.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Other than that it would be a case of maybe restarting/resetting the watch to see if that makes a difference.

How do I do a reset A?

• Advertisement

Have a read here first and see if anything looks similar to your situation:

https://support.garmin.com/en-IE/?faq=xQwjQjzUew4BF1GYcusE59

You should also check if there are any software updates available for your watch, which I think is:

Settings/System/Software update.

For a hard reset:

https://www.hardreset.info/devices/garmin/garmin-forerunner-735xt/hardreset-first-method/

The hard reset will put it back into the state it was when you bought it so will lose all your settings and data etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

Sorry P, I wouldn’t have a clue where to check that.

Open up one of the runs in Garmin Connect on your phone. Click on the fourth tab, the one that has all the graphs (looks a bit like a heart rate trace). Then click on the graph for the heart rate and select the "cadence" overlay.

Possibly simpler...is it saying your HR is roughly the same as your cadence on the details tab (looks like a page with writing).

Thanks lads, I was at nothing pursuing the Electronic Engineering degree 22-23 years ago!!

But saying "I can do 50 contralateral step presses" isn't going to impress the ladies, think I'll stick with the push ups.

Id be a little concerned on 2 points

Not sure of what "class" of lady you would attract if something as shallow as your ability to do push ups impresses them.

If you have to rely an your ability to do push ups to impress the ladies,

But who's judging

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Lazare

Ceepo wrote: »
    Id be a little concerned on 2 points

Not sure of what "class" of lady you would attract if something as shallow as your ability to do push ups impresses them.

If you have to rely an your ability to do push ups to impress the ladies,

But who's judging

Hopefully you don't rely on your sense of humour.

Lazare wrote: »
    Hopefully you don't rely on your sense of humour.

Waaayyy passed trying to impress the ladies at this stage..... :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Random running questions:

Who ran 10km for the first time in about 3 years today???? Who??? Who???

Me!!!! 10km!!!! Double digits baby! :pac:

Was there Womble Hill, Mortons Mountain and Old Bawn Death Climb in the same run???

Yes there bloody was!!!!!!

That is all :o:D

Random running questions:

Who ran 10km for the first time in about 3 years today???? Who??? Who???

Me!!!! 10km!!!! Double digits baby! :pac:

Was there Womble Hill, Mortons Mountain and Old Bawn Death Climb in the same run???

Yes there bloody was!!!!!!

That is all :o:D

Brilliant, delighted for you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Brilliant, delighted for you.

It's been a long road Ooneg. I thought those days were gone. When I got up Mortons Mountain I felt like this

Ah feck... Gif didn't work... But this Rocky doing this \o/ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Sussex18

Is the Garmin Forerunner 35 sufficient, for half-marathon and marathon? Just to know time, distance and pace?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Sussex18 wrote: »
    Is the Garmin Forerunner 35 sufficient, for half-marathon and marathon? Just to know time, distance and pace?

Yes, it's perfectly fine for that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

What's a good way* of tackling hills training so you get the benefit from it i.e. it'll pay off in a race (or generally) and you won't have too worry too much?

*As in, is it sufficient to do what Youtube says?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

What's a good way* of tackling hills training so you get the benefit from it i.e. it'll pay off in a race (or generally) and you won't have too worry too much?

What does YouTube say?

Run tall for your glutes and hammys and lift your knees. Don't lean into it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Theres some decent stuff on YouTube among all of the not so good stuff!
    I like this guy.
    https://youtu.be/6OwwCVSeN8o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Random question incoming….

I have the 16 week Asics training plan that I am looking to start in a couple weeks on the run up to Barcelona.

I am trying to work it around my commitments work / family etc and plan it out in the calendar.

I am moving the Long run which seems to be on Sundays (understandable) to midweek on a Tuesday or Wednesday (I want to run home from work on these days), should I be moving everything around to suit this or is it just important I have the next day as a rest day?

I fully understand I may be overthinking this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

BKWDR wrote: »
    Random question incoming….

I have the 16 week Asics training plan that I am looking to start in a couple weeks on the run up to Barcelona.

I am trying to work it around my commitments work / family etc and plan it out in the calendar.

I am moving the Long run which seems to be on Sundays (understandable) to midweek on a Tuesday or Wednesday (I want to run home from work on these days), should I be moving everything around to suit this or is it just important I have the next day as a rest day?

I fully understand I may be overthinking this.

Reading this question reminded me of this article. Ignore the ultra runnning bit... the key point is to get beyond over-dependence on the micro-specifics of a training plan.

Your plan is generic and not specifically made for you by one on one coaching... vary away to you hearts content. Just aim to broadly hit the underlying objectives of the plan. Understand the "whys" rather than the "whats" of the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Enduro wrote: »
    Reading this question reminded me of this article. Ignore the ultra runnning bit... the key point is to get beyond over-dependence on the micro-specifics of a training plan.

Your plan is generic and not specifically made for you by one on one coaching... vary away to you hearts content. Just aim to broadly hit the underlying objectives of the plan. Understand the "whys" rather than the "whats" of the plan.

The article is what I needed to read! Thank you

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Trying to get a handle on heart rate stuff. I use a Garmin 235. It seems one way to go is to measure your resting rate after waking up in the morning. Well, I was woke up at 3am last night and didn't get much sleep after that, so I thought it would be inaccurate try and gauge it on that basis. Broken sleep is fairly typical for me. Is the basic approach - get your RHR, then do something solid to get your max, like a flat out 5k? Another rule of thumb seems to be to use 220 and subtract your age, leaving 183 as max for me (on paper). My details in Garmin Connect are correct - DOB, etc. I think I'm spending too much time in zone 3 at times, but dunno how accurate this either as my HR settings may be off, but as from the stuff above I'm not sure how to fix it. Got the strap right now so it won't fall down any more, hopefully.

• Advertisement

Had similar thoughts around resting heart rate. The morning test thing won't work for me, you're supposed to test after waking naturally. Can't remember the last time I woke naturally. Will probably be another 15 years before I do.

Is it your best/lowest that you're looking for? Would it be possible to get that info by wearing the strap constantly for a couple of days?

Advertisement