Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : 2019 and Winter 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Snow angel

North west sligo here was crazy last night I have never heard of felt anything like it. My brother in laws sheds were hit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Amazing reports from overnight . More to come tonight / tomorrow perhaps but hard to beat last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭squarecircles

2i9153p.png

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

North Clare at 4am was ground shaking and lit up like morning time.

Especially in the village of Corofin, I live on the edge of it.

It was like the thunder and lightning you'd see in the movies.

A really angry thunder storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

First time to see huge bolts of lightning and loud cracks not your usual thin forks

• Advertisement

Just wonder how much electricity would have been in the air to make flashes so bright

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

unreal last night never seen anything like it. at times it was less than counting to 1 and boom then lightning. the poor dog was barking at it and at the same time shivering with fear.
    like storm 10 i would normally try to video it but the immenent destruction of your property does lol give u pause for thought. timeline 3ish to 4 just outside galway city

I woke up at either 3:55 or 4:55 in Galway City(maybe just by chance as I had a few drinks and wake a lot during the night) and the first Thunder I heard 30 seconds later was so loud I doubt it didn't wake everyone around.
    It must have been right over head, closer than it ever was.

Loads of lightening and thunder followed but that first one that came alone was something I'll never forget.
    Reminded me of that video from a few years back where the fireworks factory blew up in China, the one the Americans filmed from the hotel. The explosion that made them run.

Storm approaches

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Reminded me of that video from a few years back where the fireworks factory blew up in China, the one the Americans filmed from the hotel. The explosion that made them run.

This one? https://youtu.be/993wlZ6XFSs?t=17
    Its funny because its exactly what I was thinking of too, even the guys reaction of "NO F***ING WAY!"

I don't think I ever heard thunder that loud before, when it woke me up my first thought was there was an explosion, it took my head a couple seconds to realize it was thunder. Im surprised there wasn't more power outage or damage done

• Advertisement

Can you imagine if this storm hit Dublin it would be headlines ,according to local radio the are hundreds of homes with no power and the ESB said the number is rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Radar sequence (met eireann) for between about 2.30 and 4.00am last night. I didn't get to catch anything image before or after that as was grogged out with sleep. :o

oFYpDZJ.png

I have mentioned this before, but it was a phenomena that occurred last night also, in that the sound of approaching thunder at this time of year seems oddly ominous and eerie. Even when the storm was miles away, the ultra-deep bass of the booms, which lingered for up to a minute, could be 'felt' as much as heard.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I have never been woken by a thunder storm in my life as I'm a heavy sleeper. I've in the past been disappointed for missing a late night electrical storm when other ppl in the house heard it. But last night in Castlebar I woke due to the most tremendous clap of thunder that I though the next door building had collapsed. Never heard anything like it, extraordinary.

just checked the phone box there as no internet. its all scorched near wall soot etc. in side a bit of it is black. an internal surge protector worked but still pretty surreal...

Large areas of Galway City and County have no water following a lightning strike on a pumping station

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

For the record .

SaPzMLa.png

7MWlAnh.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

ZX7R wrote: »
    Could it have been negative lightning???

More likely going on the reports it was the rarer positive lightning.

https://curiosity.com/topics/positive-lightning-is-a-rare-super-deadly-form-of-lightning-curiosity/

Negative, our common as muck stuff produces 300 million volts and 30,000 amps of electricity.
    Positive, a lotto win on February 29th produces a billion volts and 300,000 amps of electricity.

The squall line blowing the negative charges away from the base of the cloud would fit in nicely too.

It seems winter storms produce more positive lightning than negative so it looks like a slam dunk that it was mostly positive lightning strikes that occurred last night.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2018/04/26/the-story-behind-positive-lightning-and-its-negative-side-effects/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

More likely going on the reports it was the rarer positive lightning.

https://curiosity.com/topics/positive-lightning-is-a-rare-super-deadly-form-of-lightning-curiosity/

Negative, our common as muck stuff produces 300 million volts and 30,000 amps of electricity.
    Positive, a lotto win on February 29th produces a billion volts and 300,000 amps of electricity.

The squall line blowing the negative charges away from the base of the cloud would fit in nicely too.

It seems winter storms produce more positive lightning than negative so it looks like a slam dunk that it was mostly positive lightning strikes that occurred last night.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2018/04/26/the-story-behind-positive-lightning-and-its-negative-side-effects/

Great post thanks for the info ,I got mixed up as I thought negative lightning was the rare one

• Registered Users Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

ZX7R wrote: »
    Great post thanks for the info ,I got mixed up as I thought negative lightning was the rare one

I was thinking you had an idea but just got them switched around.

Only for your post I wouldn't have looked up positive lightning. I've heard of it before but your post made me do a quick rehash.

Every day is certainly a school day.

Thanks " Say my name" I think that would explain how bright the lightning was as I never witnessed anything like it, night became daylight and the claps of Thunder the loudest. That would also explain the stars out but lightning overhead.

• Advertisement

i cud load up pictures but barr one glorious day in ll thread where i managed to upload kim jong il train borrowed by fateen. i have not had knack since..

i cud load up pictures but barr one glorious day in ll thread where i managed to upload kim jong il train borrowed by fateen. i have not had knack since..

First time in my life I was afraid to go outside and video the storm even inside I did not do it as I was so sure that we could get hit it was so close.

i have pics of phone plug 2day no idea how to upload.
    but yep i have top notch camera and video hd de survival instinct kicks in lol mother nature can destroy u in a second...our poor dog is trauma 2day hopefully nothing 2nte we are all wrecked..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,078 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

but yep i have top notch camera and video hd de survival instinct kicks in lol mother nature can destroy u in a second...our poor dog is trauma 2day hopefully nothing 2nte we are all wrecked..

What?

JCX BXC wrote: »

What?

lol sorry. my phone plug got hit by lightning i have pics dont know how to upload

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭dmc17

lol sorry. my phone plug got hit by lightning i have pics dont know how to upload

Where are the pics? If on your computer, just need to click the attach file icon (paperclip icon) when composing your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,078 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Ah okay. When you click post or reply, click attach files and it should upload from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Post photos whenever you can, no probs. hope dog is ok. last night was a rough night for both pets …. and us :)

Post photos whenever you can, no probs. hope dog is ok. last night was a rough night for both pets …. and us :)

Our Cat went nuts he jumped into bed with my Son and would not leave him he was shaking like a leaf , slept the night with him after the storm passed

One other thing I'm into amauter radio and have antenna on the chimney, if I know a bad storm is coming I will take them down, last night there were sparks flying between two radios I immediately pulled out all antenna but what amazed me was even the long wire in the garden was arching which shows just how much static was outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Recent lightning near Kells

Advertisement