Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anthem

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

nix wrote: »
    You shouldnt, how many times EA gotta burn people for them to learn a lesson? :p
    Seeing how many picked up the Fallout subscription I'd estimate it at eternity+1 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭EoinHef

You shouldnt, how many times EA gotta burn people for them to learn a lesson? :p

Or maybe some of us understand the hype gets some people some times and can understand it?

Never made a miatake in your life?

Must be hard to breath all the way up there on that high horse:P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

EoinHef wrote: »
    Or maybe some of us understand the hype gets some people some times and can understand it?

Never made a miatake in your life?

Must be hard to breath all the way up there on that high horse:P

High horse? ah c'mon! theres making a mistake, and then theres repeating the exact same mistake over and over.. :rolleyes:

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

I think it has a chance of finding a respectable player base if done right. Those who liked the game but fell off due to lack of content (like myself) will definitely come back, and I think a fair few will be tempted to check it out outta pure curiosity given what a high profile disaster it turned out to be.

That's if any of what Schreier is saying is true of course, though as much as I cannot stand the guy he is usually fairly reliable

High horse? ah c'mon! theres making a mistake, and then theres repeating the exact same mistake over and over.. :rolleyes:

Your makin a rather large assumption here,just because someone bought anthem doesnt mean they pre order every EA game.

Id wager nearly everyone on here has bought a game they were disspointed in at some point. I know i have,it happens.

I guess to me theres no point in scoffing at people for getting caught out.

On another note id be up for giving the game another try. Its not a million miles away from being quite good imo. They do have quite a bit to sort out though so hopefully they get the time,resources and have the talent to do just that.

I would have reservations givin EA's involvement though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Why the fk must online gaming be about the team you support? That having paid for any game has to be a mistake worthy of scorn. The simple fact is if you didn't buy it, you don't have a FKN oppinion in it. You simply have an oppinion of someone else's oppinion (youtbuber, online reivewer etc.). To think that this type of oppinion/squared is more valuable than someone who paid for it and played that damn thing is just utter nuts.
    High horse? You literally don't actually have any to begin with. The game's failings are as they are, that is no reflection on the people who bought it (and those who played it through fledgling (at the time) sub services).

Sorry but the idea of someone who has never played a game looking down on the oppinions of anyone who has? Ludicrous.

I would have reservations givin EA's involvement though.

Exactly, EA deliver broken/unfinished messes. its widely known, yet people still preorder blindly and then get pissed on release. This is going on for over a decade now with EA and people still make the mistake. So its because of this, I don't feel bad for people who clearly ignore the warning signs.

Now those just dipping their toes into gaming, sure.. /sadface :(
    Id wager nearly everyone on here has bought a game they were disspointed in at some point. I know i have,it happens.

Sure, game companies release the odd miss, EA however constantly do it and people some how seem surprised? I'm sure if you look back through this thread you will likely see me posting prior to release that this will be a hot mess.

Even if Anthem was a hit, they wouldnt be helping to nurture the Anthem community for long if at all, they would just be focusing on making Anthem 2, which for the type of game it is, is terrible. :rolleyes:

Apex legends is the only thing ive seen EA handle well in AAAAGES, and thats because they're letting Respawn make pretty much all decisions.

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    Why the fk must online gaming be about the team you support? That having paid for any game has to be a mistake worthy of scorn. The simple fact is if you didn't buy it, you don't have a FKN oppinion in it. You simply have an oppinion of someone else's oppinion (youtbuber, online reivewer etc.). To think that this type of oppinion/squared is more valuable than someone who paid for it and played that damn thing is just utter nuts.
    High horse? You literally don't actually have any to begin with. The game's failings are as they are, that is no reflection on the people who bought it (and those who played it through fledgling (at the time) sub services).

Sorry but the idea of someone who has never played a game looking down on the oppinions of anyone who has? Ludicrous.

giphy.gif

Thing is the reason Anthem was a disappointment stemmed from Bioware themselves, pretty much had nothing to do with EA. Its been well documented at this stage that EA involvement was limited, and in fact the biggest impact they had was insisting on flying being reintroduced to the game which ended up being one of the games biggest strengths.

Do EA make a lot of missteps? Sure, but they aren't to blame for the Anthem debacle.

I also don't think anyone who played Anthem has asked anyone to "feel bad" for them. What people find ridiculous is this air of superiority and arrogance from people who took pleasure in seeing the game fail and almost seemed to love the fact that some people gave Anthem a chance and got burned. Its absolutely pathetic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

goon_magee wrote: »
    Thing is the reason Anthem was a disappointment stemmed from Bioware themselves, pretty much had nothing to do with EA. Its been well documented at this stage that EA involvement was limited, and in fact the biggest impact they had was insisting on flying being reintroduced to the game which ended up being one of the games biggest strengths.

Do EA make a lot of missteps? Sure, but they aren't to blame for the Anthem debacle.

I also don't think anyone who played Anthem has asked anyone to "feel bad" for them. What people find ridiculous is this air of superiority and arrogance from people who took pleasure in seeing the game fail and almost seemed to love the fact that some people gave Anthem a chance and got burned. Its absolutely pathetic.

I don't think that EA can wash their hands so easily. They're the ones that mandated the frostbite engine for all of their games, a decision that's crippled studios. Bioware then had to compete with other EA studios for support for frostbite, but because their projected sales where dwarfed by the Battlefields and the FIFAs, they were bottom of the pile when it came to fixing/helping them.

The only EA studio that doesn't have to suffer the Frostbite engine is Respawn, and they've produced some of the best games of the generation, with Fallen Jedi looking like another hit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Jumping back in (origin Premier for Star Wars) so may as well have a look see.

Loved the shootee flyee part, hated the other parts.

but man the shootee flyee part was sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,765 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I see it's in EA Access now, might finally give it a try and see what the flying fuss was about. Will be playing it Solo, so that probably won't help as these games are not designed for solo players, as much as they claim it can be done. But will give it a go anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Only actually started playing it this week, its combat is still simply awesome.

Pros since last playing in May:
    Time trials are fun.
    More missions in the open world.
    More things to do not a lot tho.
    Melee and something else added
    Got some legendaries without really trying.
    if you match with similiar everyone is on point trying to kill whatever it is, no communication so guess we all ninjas.

Cons
    Still a bit boring when not in mission.
    Excessive loading screens still there.
    Not many playing at my level (gm1 lil bit of Gm2)I am either a flying god with new players or being kerb stomped. Not much in between.
    No new enemies that I have seen, still the same ones.
    I have no clue what ranger build I should have and seem to the only ranger in any given matchmaking (might be a hint there)
    i rage quit the newish water level as i had no idea where to go or what to do and ended out on my own fighting an army whilst the others were somewhere else, winning I guess.
    Still no in game text chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Picked this up in CeX for a tenner yesterday if anyone still plays on PS4.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Still no in game text chat.

That boggles the mind for me, especially on pc. Lets make it as hard as possible to have a social environment in a cop-op online shooter.

Forgot this was on EA Access, worth a shot for a solo player? Didn't like Destiny if that makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

See post 1006 above - pretty accurate. There's about 15 hours of fun game play in the missions... Albeit a bit repetitive. Unlocking each of the characters and then messing around with them. The game play, gun play and character movement are epic.

It's not so bad... Just gets a bit boring after that

Cool, when I'm stuck for something to play, I'll give it a burn. Thanks!

I got around 100 hours or so out of it before I burned out. It wasn't so much that I wanted to be done with the game, rather the lack of meaningful content being added and the uncertainty of the game just made it difficult to justify putting any further time into it.

Those first 100 hours were a blast though, and to date I genuinely hope the rumours around the huge overhaul that is supposedly coming are true because I would love a reason to jump back in and engage with the core gameplay and superb combat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,198 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

is this game worth picking up now for xbox one x?

• Advertisement

is this game worth picking up now for xbox one x?

Depends on price, but basically yes. read last two or three pages on this thread.

Game is cheap as chips now usually, so worth a blast as there is a decent bit of enjoyable content to blast through, especially relative to the price the game usually is these days. Some decent posts about the state of the game above should give you some good insight as to what to expect.

Optimus said a few posts up that he picked a copy of the game up for a tenner in CEX I think, so worst comes to worst just grab a copy from there.

Think i got 70hrs in before the fatigue set in,probably played 5hrs more than i should have aswell,not a single legendary in that time,was farming strongholds at GM 2 mostly with the odd run of GM 3,not one bloody legendary:p

The loot was well and truely terrible at that time. At its current price point the game is well worth a go if you like the sound of flying round like iron man raining death from above,which is very enjoyable,it just doesnt have much more to it than that though

This is annoying. Can't be that hard to bring us forward.

Honestly, I thought they fixed that one in one of the very many bug fix releases... clearly not.

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Honestly, I thought they fixed that one in one of the very many bug fix releases... clearly not.

From what I can gather it's been fixed for strongholds but can happen everywhere else.

https://uk.ign.com/articles/anthem-getting-major-overhaul-bioware-confirms

Delighted to read this. There is something there worth salvaging. The gameplay is absoultely fantastic, so if they can get the game around it right then I'm all for it.

At this point it think it would be the only thing to get me back playing,glad to see EA/Bio are at least going to try and work on the game rather than just abandoning it.

Hopefully they can make a success of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Is the christmas events still up? they had allot of the fans still playing a bit worried about that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement