Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Snow/Ice warning: 26 / 27 / 28 Jan 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Location?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

Location?

Somewhere around Achille Island I believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I can see 40 km up the road from my house.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

There will be a lot more pink later in the night particular across Connaught and West Ulster. :cool:

Perhaps, temperatures will probably drop a bit but slowly by the looks of it. Looking mostly confined to high ground in the W, NW, N

ECM showing the 850 hPa level getting colder during the night, probably best chance from showers around then.

N4Rqv6J.png?1

eW0Bnx6.jpg

h8RAxw7.png

YezY7sQ.png

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It is soft snow.
    Lovely soft snow...

And I have reported the last two posts and am asking they be deleted.

• Advertisement

Would ya not have let the poor divil in?

Was just going to when it hit! He will be in the shed...

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Pix?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Mod note If you have nothing nice to say then it’s best to say nothing at all .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Graces7 wrote: »
    It is soft snow.
    Lovely soft snow...

And I have reported the last two posts and am asking they be deleted.

It could be soft hail
    That is flakey hail that looks very like snow but isn't
    Having said that,I have seen snow in a shower from a northwesterly in Arklow
    Very low dewpoint at the time iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'm highly offended.

I'm the only muppet on this forum

:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I think that may have been soft hail and not snow. Temperature/dewpoints in the west are nowhere near right for snow.

Belmullet +5/+2
    Mace Head +5/+2
    Newport +2/+2
    Knock +2/+1
    Athenry +3/+1.

I think that may have been soft hail and not snow. Temperature/dewpoints in the west are nowhere near right for snow.

Belmullet +5/+2
    Mace Head +5/+2
    Newport +2/+2
    Knock +2/+1
    Athenry +3/+1.

Snow... MEN!I know snow when I see it. OK? OK! REALLY! s
    Will quit the thread and the forum if this goes on. Deeply offensive. Every time.

Belmullet +5/+2
    Mace Head +5/+2
    Newport +2/+2
    Knock +2/+1
    Athenry +3/+1.

Those dew points should be heading south after midnight. A better chance of getting snow to lower levels later in the night.

12-101UK.GIF?26-18

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Sleet in Galway City.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Rougies

Belmullet +5/+2
    Mace Head +5/+2
    Newport +2/+2
    Knock +2/+1
    Athenry +3/+1.

It's plausible it was snow. A heavy shower passed over Achill Island around 23:00, and going by the crappy radar coverage in the area it was probably heavier and larger than it looks on radar. Probably enough oomph in it to bring temps low enough for temporary snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

It's still 4 degrees in east Galway. That's not cold enough for snow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

Snow in County Antrim
    DCD3526-A-5-A4-C-4415-98-C5-05-A88-D8-CF645.jpg

Andrew00 wrote: »
    It's still 4 degrees in east Galway. That's not cold enough for snow

It is actually

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Graces7 wrote: »
    OK that is IT. What is wrong with you all tonight?

These things happen. Was so enjoying it all. Now it is ruined with all the nastiness and all.

No more. Going home.

Mod Note: Graces7 you have made your point, moderators have noted and acted , use the report button , if you want to discuss this further please use PM , we need to get this thread back on track now and keep it on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Mortelaro wrote: »
    It is actually

Not when corresponding dewpoints are running at a stable 2.0c!

New Moon

• Advertisement

Tomorrow's feature is the best chance for eastern and southern counties for some snow in the evening. Marginal but keep the fingers and toes crossed.

fax24s.gif?2

Ninja snow is best snow :cool:

Knock airport, valid up to midday tomorrow.

EIKN AD WRNG 01 VALID 262000/271200 SNOW FBL LESS THAN 1 CM FCST=

Mod Note: Need to stop any comments related to Graces7 reports .

Stay on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

Knock airport, valid up to midday tomorrow.

EIKN AD WRNG 01 VALID 262000/271200 SNOW FBL LESS THAN 1 CM FCST=

The ‘LESS THAN 1 CM FCST’ wording is enough to wipe any hope out of a snow lover.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Not when corresponding dewpoints are running at a stable 2.0c!

To stay within mod instructions, I'll re answer this by saying a down draft of colder air in a heavy shower commonly known as evaporated cooling can be sufficient to temporarily create conditions locally in the shower for snow to reach the ground

I'd fully agree with the point though that soft hail and snow can be in destinguishable

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Got home a few minutes ago to some sleet. I was not really expecting snow from the trough
    tonight, but later on as the colder air comes in behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Have been keeping an eye on nra weather readings during the evening for the fun of it. Nothing encouraging about them regarding snow potential by and large but in the last adjustment that I checked, the air temp at Knock nra site dropped O.4 of a degree in a short period to 1.6c and Charlestown on the N5 dropped something similar to 2c. I see knock airport is 1c as of midnight. Not probably going to change much but maybe a sign of slightly colder air filtering down. But then again could be 3c the next time I look at it!
    Edit. Just checked again. Those readings were at midnight. At 00.20 Knock has dropped to 1.3c and Charlestown to 1.7c. Definitely creeping downwards.

Dew points are falling back now as well. I see 0.6c dp at Claremorris so the snow level is falling now.

Met Eireann aviation chart for 06Z shows the area out west to be occasional rain/sleet showers, locally thundery with hail, isolated snow showers. This covers west Connaught and west Ulster (west of a line Galway-Derry). Elsewhere, isolated rain and hail showers, with isolated snow showers on mountains in the rest of Connaught and Munster.

Freezing level 2000 ft across the country. Trough off the southwest (around 50N 17W) moving ENE at 40 knots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Large hail setting off car alarms, lightning and loud bang of thunder Galway City.

Advertisement