Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

esel wrote: »
    Pretty sure it goes by the name Magners there.
    I thought i saw it advertised on UK TV recently as Bulmers?
    (Yes, i know it's always been Magners, but for some reason i thought that was changing)

• Administrators, Sports Moderators Posts: 21,676 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭smashey

A local paper in Donegal did a bit of research recently and bought the same items in Tesco Letterkenny and Tesco Derry. Even with paying for the items with euro in Derry, they still saved about 25%.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Bulmers does exist in the UK but is not the same as Bulmers here.
    Magners in the UK is what we know as Bulmers here.
    The brand name was already taken over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,760 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Yes Bulmers is available in N.I.

Just bought 8 x 1 pint bottles last week in Asda for £9 which would work out about €11.40. Dont know if it was much of a bargain or not but was just starting the Xmas shopping a bit early. :)

smashey wrote: »
    A local paper in Donegal did a bit of research recently and bought the same items in Tesco Letterkenny and Tesco Derry. Even with paying for the items with euro in Derry, they still saved about 25%.
    There was an RTE show about this recently apparently. It was one of those early afternoon programs. Anyhow they bought so many items in Tescos and Dunnes in Dublin (Tescos were cheaper) and then went to Asda in Strabane where they bought the same items and with paying in Euro it was over €6 cheaper again. The only problem is that I cant recall what the cost of the shopping was in Dublin so cant express the savings as a percentage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Rosielee

Does anyone know what rate Sainsburys are giving to the euro at the moment ?...might take a trip up to Sprucefields soon if its worth it

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭dunser

Hi I was up the north with my Husband last week and we bought loads of Stuff in Dunnes . We got Napppies for about half the price they were in Dunnes here in Navan and the same with Baby Milk it came in about €8 campared to €14 here. Mad savings we are going to go every 2nd or 3rd weekend from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭devil-80

But Bulmers in NI is cider (original and peach taste).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Is it worth shopping in the North on a regular basis if you don't live near the border? I can understand if you're travelling there anyway, or have a huge amount to buy, but for a weekly shop even a 25% discount mightn't be enough where you factor in travel costs, time spent getting there and sitting in queues etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I have been to ASDA in Enniskillen a couple of time lately, and while there is no hassle getting parked, getting round the store is a different story. The aisles are packed very tightly, and the queues at checkouts are horrendous - a 30 minute wait can be expected. Furthermore because there is a jam at the checkouts, it is almost impossible to push a trolley round past the people in the queue. Now I've never shopped in Sainsburys on a Saturday, so I can't say if it is as bad there!

As regards the produce, ASDA is definitely cheaper than down South, but I find there is a much more limited range of stock than in Sainsburys, and personally I would prefer to pay the extra bit for the wider range (but still save) in Sainsbury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

I have been to ASDA in Enniskillen a couple of time lately, and while there is no hassle getting parked, getting round the store is a different story. The aisles are packed very tightly, and the queues at checkouts are horrendous - a 30 minute wait can be expected. Furthermore because there is a jam at the checkouts, it is almost impossible to push a trolley round past the people in the queue. Now I've never shopped in Sainsburys on a Saturday, so I can't say if it is as bad there!

As regards the produce, ASDA is definitely cheaper than down South, but I find there is a much more limited range of stock than in Sainsburys, and personally I would prefer to pay the extra bit for the wider range (but still save) in Sainsbury.

Having shopped in Asda in the UK a few times (last time on our way back from our hols in Wales) I must say that their grub is very nice - fruit juices especially and their meat and bakery products were'nt at all bad for a supermarket. Problem I always find any time shopping in the North or whatever is that you tend to buy different things to normal so it's often hard to compare. I think in Asda the last time we spent £100 but that included chocolates and other stuff for pressies for people who had been looking after the house while we were away.:)

Is it worth shopping in the North on a regular basis if you don't live near the border? I can understand if you're travelling there anyway, or have a huge amount to buy, but for a weekly shop even a 25% discount mightn't be enough where you factor in travel costs, time spent getting there and sitting in queues etc.
    Thats a fair point. The savings could be nearly wiped out with the added cost of travel not to mention the time. But a trip maybe once a month and get lots of items would still be worthwhile IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Going on Monday morning to Newry, Sainsburys. anyone know how it generally is that day of the week ?

Thanks
    CC

• Registered Users Posts: 21,969 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Newry has Lidl, too. Some stuff is dearer (bread for one), but a lot of things are cheaper.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Redpunto

eth0_ wrote: »
    You save a ridiculous amount shopping in Sainsbury's!

I would recommend driving for an extra half hour and going to Sprucefield, it's a bigger Sainsbury's and has a huuuuuuuge car park and there's a M&S close by as well.

Hi there head up to Newry a fair bit but the shelves always look empty, whats the best way to get to sprucefield, is it past banbridge?? Cheers.

Does anyone know where the iceland is in Newry?? Thanks a mil

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭joanas

Iceland is in newry town across the river in a shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Hi all,

I'm from Monaghan, so not too far to go across the border to Newry or Enniskillen. The prices are defintely cheaper but as said it was get a little crowed at times when everyone has the same idea to save money!!!

Anyway, the Asda in Enniskillen (excellent value by the way) is open 24 hours Monday - Friday so escape the mental saturday queues and go up some evening during the week, Now saying that I've been there at peak times on a saturday (around 3-4pm) and we got parked no problem and while there was a great crowd in Asda it wasnt that bad and we only waited 4-5mins at the checkout (there was one shopper in front of us with a trolly as full as ours!!)

So, if you really cant stand the crowds i'd go up some evening or some morning if thats possible.

Definitely savings to be had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Can alcohol be sold 24 hours a day up there or is it like down here where it can be sold after 10pm?

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Can alcohol be sold 24 hours a day up there or is it like down here where it can be sold after 10pm?
    The sale of alcohol follows the relevant licensing laws so no.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

CombatCow wrote: »
    Going on Monday morning to Newry, Sainsburys. anyone know how it generally is that day of the week ?

Thanks
    CC

I went up on a Thursday a few weeks ago and it was grand, plenty of parking (we got up there around 2.30, meant to go earlier but slept in! :o). Queued for a few minutes at checkouts but kind of expect that. I would say Thursday would be a busier day than Monday anyway - going from my experience of working in a supermarket Thursday and Fridays were always the busiest weekdays. Spent an absolute fortune there but I'd only go up every 6 months or so and stockpile booze and dried/tinned goods. We're a good 2 hour drive away so it's not worth doing it on a regular basis and I try to get as much as possible in one trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Im going to head up tuesday morning.On my list bulmers(as i know for ages its magners in uk) clothes,day to day items and may also buy some toys for xmas depending on the price.
    I will possibly head to The Outlet in Banbridge and Newry. I will keep you guys posted on what i get and prices and deals.

On my list bulmers(as i know for ages its magners in uk)
    You will be able to get both.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭mohenley

Hi, Can anyone advise on any cheap chemists in newry area? I think there is a semi chem (went there once) but cannot remember if it was good or not. I want to stock pile on toilitries when I am go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭emc2

mohenley wrote: »
    Hi, Can anyone advise on any cheap chemists in newry area? I think there is a semi chem (went there once) but cannot remember if it was good or not. I want to stock pile on toilitries when I am go.

I was up in tesco in Newry over the weekend and they had a lot of Toiletries specials on, 2 for £2 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

mohenley wrote: »

There's a tiny chemist beside Woolworths in Newry - it was very cheap and had baskets scattered around the shop with special offers ie., McCleans toothpaste 50pence - hair gel (brycream) 75 pence etc. Also Solphadine soluable cost 6.94 cent here for 24 tablets - up there (in any chemist) they cost 4.99stg for 32 tablets.

I went to Sainsburys and got my loyalty card before I went shopping - customer services will give you forms and tell you the "home address" to fill in. I purchased their own brand "alco pop" I think it was 1.49stg for a large bottle - there was no difference in the taste.

I also purchased bold liquid - 2 for 4.50stg., down here it's 4.95 per bottle.

I got to Newry at 8:45a.m. and the only problem I encountered up there was some of the shelves were not fully stocked and I was stuck for 30 minutes waiting to get out of Newry town itself.

All in all I spent 150 euro - I think the bill in Sterling was about 117. Well worth it. Oh and one more thing 12 rolls of Velvet tissues was 3.25stg - compared to 8.99 or so down here....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Yeah Super Drug is opposite wooly's on the main st. I stocked up on loads of own brand paracetamol and ibuprofen tablets, which ranged from 22p - 47p for a pack of 16! in superdrug,boots,semichem and sainsburys.

Anyways, lots of bargains to be had in sainsburys especailly on alcohol and washing powder and soft drinks etc.

This site is really handy, tells you of the current special offers in UK/NI supermarkets at the moment, so it's handy to check before heading up.

http://www.supermarketspecialoffers.com/

*BTW, supervalue on the main street, give 85p to the euro. And dunnes stores have roses/quality street 1Kg tins for €5.40 (approx)

CC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭kilasser

Tipsy Mac wrote: »

All of the asda's, tesco and Sainsburys arround me here in Essex and arround London sell alcohol 24 hours a day (comes in very handy as a student). So I would say the ones in nothern Ireland are the same, as they would come under the same UK 24 hour drink laws as England.

kilasser wrote: »
    All of the asda's, tesco and Sainsburys arround me here in Essex and arround London sell alcohol 24 hours a day (comes in very handy as a student). So I would say the ones in nothern Ireland are the same, as they would come under the same UK 24 hour drink laws as England.
    I have no idea what the story is about the rest of the week but the big stores have to close at 6 PM on Sundays - and thats by law. So the chances are that the licencing laws are different in N.I.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

hi,

If anyone can give me any idea what price the likes of
    corona, tiger, sol and vodka (Any brand) are then i
    would be grateful.
    It's a fair drive from galway just for beer tho with xmas in
    mind it would be a big shop.

Corona is on offer here now 12 for 15eu
    tiger generally 6 330ml btls for 11eu or
    2.69 for one 500ml btl
    sol 6 330ml btls for 10eu
    70cl smirnoff 17.99eu
    Can these price be beaten by much?

• Advertisement

mailburner wrote: »
    hi,

If anyone can give me any idea what price the likes of
    corona, tiger, sol and vodka (Any brand) are then i
    would be grateful.
    It's a fair drive from galway just for beer tho with xmas in
    mind it would be a big shop.

Corona is on offer here now 12 for 15eu
    tiger generally 6 330ml btls for 11eu or
    2.69 for one 500ml btl
    sol 6 330ml btls for 10eu
    70cl smirnoff 17.99eu
    Can these price be beaten by much?
    Not too sure on them all but the smirnoff would come to about €11 - 12 in Strabane.

Advertisement