Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-Life: Alyx (formerly: Half Life 3 is coming??)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,648 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Not HL3 or even Ep3 lads, can we keep this thread for HL3 related stuff only please? :P :P :P

We'll turn the thread back over to you when HL3 is announced. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,962 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

pixelburp wrote: »
    ...(like, I presume it's a total no-go for any parents of small children, given it's an inherently isolating technology)...

Spot on. Any gaming I get to do is at night when my daughter goes to bed. I sit as close to the baby monitor as is possible and have a Google Hub Max showing a video feed of her cot so it's completely out for me.

Spot on. Any gaming I get to do is at night when my daughter goes to bed. I sit as close to the baby monitor as is possible and have a Google Hub Max showing a video feed of her cot so it's completely out for me.

Has she got a medical problem or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Not to worry, Your daughter will probably be able to play the game by the time it gets released :pac::p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Give it another go at some stage. Not for everyone but tech gets better. I certainly don't think it's a gimmick even if I use mine less than I thought I would. It just requires more effort than regular gaming.

As I said already, I don't think VR is a gimmick outside of the gaming realm: I've seen some awesome uses of it in education & surgery for instance. But I think you've hit on another element that might limit the scope of VR in the gaming world: effort. I suspect the tech might struggle to hit full mainstream by the nature of it requiring more effort and commitment just to play an hour or two; plus can't see OHs or parents being stoked about their partner effectively isolating themselves off.
    It might simply remain niche for hardcore gamers, similar to USB steering wheels, joysticks and other peripherals of yore.

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    Has she got a medical problem or something?

No, I consider it good parenting to keep an eye on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,460 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Exactly why I haven't bought the PSVR. I tried it once at a con and absolutely loved it but 5 senses isn't enough with a toddler sometimes, i can't afford to lose sight and sound. I could try it for small bits but not worth the investment for something i can't put on whenever i want. One day though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

You know nothing but the name of the game and are talking about spanking a grand on a headset.

The hype this shlt is going to get is going to be comical. I have VR and will play it but I'm not getting a hard on over it.

I'm fairly confident it will be a substantial game considering how long Valve have been working on the project and the fact that early indications are that this will be a prequel to Half Life 2.

I doubt it's going to be some sort of Lost Coast type VR tech demo. We'll see I guess.

To be honest I've been humming and hawing about getting a VR headset for ages now but there hasn't been a game yet that has really done it for me. This could very well do it. I'm optimistic considering how ground breaking Valve have tended to be with their games down through the years.

I'm far from confident that VR will take off among the masses. However as a gamer it's something I want to give a chance and at least experience the medium for myself.

I think you can load video into Elite Dangerous. Would be pretty funny flying around and the baby monitor video is on the screen in the cockpit. There's also video passthrough on some headsets but I wouldn't trust that for a toddler.

pixelburp, my experience of VR has been the opposite in terms of people locking themselves into their own world's. It's always on the TV and if me, my ex, or my brother were playing, we're always watching, taking turns, and talking during it. It bizarrely becomes more of a social thing even if only one person is playing.

And then there's Keep Talking or Everyone explodes which requires teamwork between the person wearing and the people on the book. Also playable without VR. Excellent game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Absolutely
    Wish they wouldn't make us wait until Thursday. Like the cat was out of the bag yesterday and today they confirmed it themselves! why wait :pac:

• Advertisement

No, I consider it good parenting to keep an eye on her.

So I presume you and a hypothetical partner sleep in shifts, so someone is always awake to monitor her?

I have two children. One has just entered college and the other has exited. They were put them to bed and that's it. Furthermore, I have evidence from four generations worth of detailed family historical data wherein not a single child expired, or came to other noteworthy harm between being put to bed and waking, so personally, I don't think the monitoring regime you employ amounts to good parenting. But do carry on, I don't wish to stop you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Wish they wouldn't make us wait until Thursday. Like the cat was out of the bag yesterday and today they confirmed it themselves! why wait :pac:

:p:p You have waited since 2007 for the next HL game, surely you can wait another day or two :D:D:D

cnocbui wrote: »
    So I presume you and a hypothetical partner sleep in shifts, so someone is always awake to monitor her?

I have two children. One has just entered college and the other has exited. They were put them to bed and that's it. Furthermore, I have evidence from four generations worth of detailed family historical data wherein not a single child expired, or came to other noteworthy harm between being put to bed and waking, so personally, I don't think the monitoring regime you employ amounts to good parenting. But do carry on, I don't wish to stop you.

I take the tone of your reply to be rather cheeky my friend. There's no need for that. I haven't criticised you or any other parent in any way. You asked me a straightforward question, I gave you a straightforward answer. Parenting doesn't have a one size fits all solution. We all can only do our best and where I can, I like to be aware how my little lady is doing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,073 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’s absolutely the case that some people can’t use VR. Like any accessibility issue, it’s a real shame and not one easily resolved. Completely understand any frustration therefore when games are VR-only.

It’s definitely also the case that when games are properly, fully designed for VR that can’t translate easily. The use of depth, motion and gestures can be essential to what a good VR game tries to achieve. Games like Moss or Astrobot would be severely lesser with the unique features of VR.

It’s a shame, but I reckon those two positions aren’t always going to be reconcilable :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

Delighted there's a new HL but sadly the VR aspect rules me out. I've nothing against VR but I don't have the set up. Sucks to miss out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I guess there is always the possibility that a non-VR PC version could be released down the line. One half of me thinks surely Valve have given this serious thought considering how small the VR market actually is. Then the other half of me is thinking that Valve are looking to make a statement about the future of VR and will keep it solely to that platform.

Absolutely
    Hmm. How long will the game be?
    A fully fledged game or because it's vr not actually be that long...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,187 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

yg8GoaS.jpg

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,292 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

waits 12 years for half life 3

VR Game

Shoot me now

• Advertisement

Absolutely
    Some more news coming out. Obviously not confirmed, but lets be honest, most likely on the button:

- Set between events of Half Life 1 and 2 as previously rumored.
    - Gravity gun will be back, but... it wont be a gun. Shall be gravity gloves and you will be able to use Value's knuckles controller to control.
    - First game using Source 2 engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

But DOTA 2 currently runs on the source 2 engine...

Absolutely
    tuxy wrote: »
    But DOTA 2 currently runs on the source 2 engine...

I got lied to :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

i thought for years if valve want to promote VR just release a half life game on it .
    I think its kind of rude how the game is called half life Alyx ,not half life 3.
    Maybe in 10 years time there will be a pc game called half life 3 ,
    that doe,s not require a vr headset.
    So we may never get a real sequel to half life 2.
    i wonder will portal 3 be released on vr too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Set between HL1 and HL2 = save your money and watch a summary on YouTube...

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Thargor wrote: »

I mean this is a really interesting part of the story though, how we went from resonance cascade into alien/combine 1984 dystopia.

It's always frustrated me not knowing more about this (though given the platform I will be watching it anyway lol)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,767 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Wait until they just give up on it, reboot the franchise and call the next one Half Life.

I'll have my popcorn ready.

And Kleenex for my own tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Wait until they just give up on it, reboot the franchise and call the next one Half Life.

I'll have my popcorn ready.

And Kleenex for my own tears.
    Nah, it'll be a prequel first...

Xen: A Half-Life Story.

I think a prequel is great. So much of the story between Half Life 1 and Half Life 2 remains unfilled. Seven day war, how the combine managed to exert their control and the growth of the resistance movement for example. We also know that the G-Man played a big role in rescuing Alyx from Black Mesa so his background could be explored in more depth too.

Don't get me wrong, I still want to see the conclusion of Half Life 2 / Half Life 3. But there would be some ****storm if that was a VR exclusive. I don't think that would be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,460 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Plus this will give sales to HL 1 & 2 a nice boost.

Advertisement