Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knightsgate, Rush

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 robtr89

The vents that came in the house dont do anything to prevent the cold air coming in/ hot air leaving (run your hand over it and you'll just feel cold air bellowing in). We purchased some of the vent units which you can open and close. It didnt seem economical to have the hot air being generated simply flowing out the vents provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭TedsRevengeP

robtr89 wrote: »
    The vents that came in the house dont do anything to prevent the cold air coming in/ hot air leaving (run your hand over it and you'll just feel cold air bellowing in). We purchased some of the vent units which you can open and close. It didnt seem economical to have the hot air being generated simply flowing out the vents provided.

We were thinking the same, we can feel the cold air. Are they not there for a safety reson though? So closing them is a hazard? Or am I wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

robtr89 wrote: »

The idea of vents is to let some air in as houses are so well insulated these days. If they didnt have them with air circulating in from the outside you would get condensation build up and mould.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 aurawindsurfing

Can you retrofit those vents? Anyone who we could contact for consultation maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 TF91

Hi All,

I'm after buying a house on the Avenue, and going for the resnag on Wednesday. It all looks good, only minor cosmetic issues. Has anyone noticed anything more serious to be on the lookout for? Also, any idea if the main gate will be open to us?

Also, I had been looking back through this for the name of a snagger, but they removed the details. So if anyone is looking for one in the future, I had <SNIP> (you can google the site). He's on the Glenveagh list also, was extremely helpful and thorough, and walked me through everything in detail. Highly recommend him if you don't have one :)

Looking forward to moving in!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

as per forum charter, recommendations by PM only please.

Every house /apartment needs ventilation otherwise mould can occur. Usually special heat exchange vents are needed to prevent this heat loss.

Dan

Hi Dan,

I noticed there is an excess of ceiling vents in the rooms. I wonder if anyone can confirm if there is a Mechanical Ventilation Heat Recovery system in place? I could not see the exchanger anywhere in the house.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Laurendon wrote: »
    Councillor Robert O’Donoghue just came back with this:

So, I have a motion to the Council for next weeks operations meeting to get a timeline for when broadband will be brought up to standard. I will revert to you on this when they get back to me.

That this Council contact Eir in relation to the lack of braodband service available to the residents of the new Knightsgate Estate, Rush and ask that they provide an indicative timeline for when the estate will be connected and up to standard.

And it should be noted that regardless of the requests made by residents to this service provider, all correspondence has been ignored

Don't suppose he followed up with you confirming that the issue was raised at the meeting?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Bindiya

Hi,

Can anyone please suggest how to manage the heating settings? We followed the instructions from the builder and realized that we have already used 200 units in 11 days which is alarming.

Thanks,
    Bindi

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭OctoberMammy

Don't suppose he followed up with you confirming that the issue was raised at the meeting?

I've followed up with O'Donoghue twice asking the same question, and he's now blanking me. Typical politician paying lip service. I'm starting to get really pissed off about the broadband situation at this point.

• Advertisement

Bindiya wrote: »
    Hi,

Can anyone please suggest how to manage the heating settings? We followed the instructions from the builder and realized that we have already used 200 units in 11 days which is alarming.

Thanks,
    Bindi

We were told to set it at the temp we want, and leave it there. So at the min with colder weather we're leaving it around 22 to 23 generally.

What did they tell you to do?

I have verified that there is central extraction fan for all the vents in the house. There is no heat exchanger tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Bindiya

We were told to set it at the temp we want, and leave it there. So at the min with colder weather we're leaving it around 22 to 23 generally.

What did they tell you to do?

We were told the same thing and bcoz of cold weather we are also leaving it at 20 or 22. But this meter reading for 11 days is very high. Is it the same case for everyone?

Thanks

Yes I was looking at the same, however I probably try it out for some time and see how the house feels. I would say that comparing to my current one it will be like in a sauna &#55357;&#56832;

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

People need to realise that your meter reading will be slightly higher than what you are used to because your electricity is doing everything. But you now have no gas or oil bill so you should be saving overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Dommi1

We are using the box room as a nursary. It is always freezing cold in there. I could feel air from the outside blowing in (felt as though a window was open). I took off the vent cover just to see and it is just a open hole to the outside. Is this how it should be? The room is way too cold to use for a baby. Has anyone found a solution for this?

I have temporeraly blocked it off and immidiately the room was warm.

I would imagine that box room (side room) will be always colder as it has 3 walls and roof so essentially it is like a semi detached house.

I think blocking vents could couse more problems then benefits long term to be honest. I was told that there are different types of passive / active retrofitted vents that we could look at. I did not get the details yet tough.

What people from 1 phase can tell about the warmth of the houses in general? Are you happy? Would you improve/change anything?

Thanks!

I would imagine that box room (side room) will be always colder as it has 3 walls and roof so essentially it is like a semi detached house.

I think blocking vents could couse more problems then benefits long term to be honest. I was told that there are different types of passive / active retrofitted vents that we could look at. I did not get the details yet tough.

What people from 1 phase can tell about the warmth of the houses in general? Are you happy? Would you improve/change anything?

Thanks!

We have a baby in our box room. Some nights it seemed cold but we blocked/taped over about two-thirds of the vents (leaving the top 3 or so open) and it has made a huge improvement we think.

Overall the houses are warm enough for us adults for sure. But if you put your hand to a vent in any room you can feel cold air, so if the heating bill comes and its huge, then we'll have to do something.

I think overall though while it's been cold, there's only been a few really freezing nights, and only one morning so far I've had to de frost the ice on the car. That of course could be down to being close to the sea, salt in the air etc., but maybe there are colder nights that'll be a bigger issue.

We generally keep the heating between 22 and 23.5 or so, and adjust around that as we go. We haven't had to have it up to 25. The kicthen is probably the coldest room (mornings especially), due to the huge windows I guess. But it's manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 EMcKvr

Hi All, thanks for the info regarding the heating system. How are you finding the levels of hot water, what has been the best way to set it up so it's hot in the morning for a shower?

There are heat recovery vents available that will reduce heat loss but they are €300ish each and require power so not really ideal.

We are due to close this week, hopefully they will get the road finished and the estate tidied up in time! Anyone else due to close this week?

Went up to see the house over the weekend, noticed damage to the back door that wasn't picked up on the snag, do you think the builder will repair with no issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Laurendon

Any one any more joy with WIFI ? We've heard nothing back from anyone we reached out to !

• Advertisement

Found this good read about how we should run our systems: https://passivehouseplus.ie/magazine/feature/the-ph-guide-to-air-source-heat-pumps

@Laurendon - pm me I'm on site more less every day I can show you my setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 solvendy

This question has probably been asked multiple times but are all houses broadbandless or is it just a select few? Surely the estates surrounding Knightsgate have internet so the network cable must be there???

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭OctoberMammy

No one in the estate has broadband because Eir haven't connected the lines and won't give anyone an update on when they plan to do so.

Cllr. Robert O'Donoghue got back to me last week confirming that the motion had (finally) been raised at Fingal Co. Co.'s December meeting. Open Eir advised that "work is ongoing at the site. The sub-duct work is assigned with the cable and splice to follow. Currently Open Eir do not have a forecast date on when the service will be available."

The whole thing is a joke. Three months now of hotspotting off my phone for internet. The Broadband Officer at Fingal Co. Co. is apparently keeping in touch with Open Eir on the matter. I'd urge residents to email him to stress how urgent the matter is (especially for those of us who work at home) and how unacceptable this delay is, and he can in turn put pressure on Eir. His email is digitalfingal@fingal.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Have emailed him there now, hopefully they can try and put some pressure on OpenEir

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭403 Forbidden

Hi All! being following this thread as I have intrest in the 4 bed houses that are up for sale...

Can anyone answer the following?

Are any of the rooms cabled for Ethernet?

Waiting for the agengy to open up on Thursday to see when we can visit the showhouse! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭tkrysiak

Hi All! being following this thread as I have intrest in the 4 bed houses that are up for sale...

Waiting for the agengy to open up on Thursday to see when we can visit the showhouse! :)

Sorry, no Ethernet in any rooms. I have looked into it myself and it is not that big of an expense but it can be a bit of a messy job.

Bigger issue is that the estate is not even connected by Eir so we are stuck with mobile internet.

Finally, (just so you know) Rush is a black hole when talking of internet. Pretty much like Skerries, exchanges are old, there is no fiber and SIRO is not available either - even though it is to the South, and it is to the North of us ;-)

tldr: Even if/when we get connected by Eir, we will have the same speeds as mobile internet just with more stability (hopefully)
    Unfortunately, a number of us here are working from home and every single one faces the same issue...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

How fast do you need? While there is no Siro or true fibre in Rush speeds are fine for the vast majority of people who have it.

Hey @flowrider04

I can confirm that actually 4 beds are wired for ethernet from the main eircom box. When you get to the house you will not see them as they are blanked off.

There is one cable from eircom box to the living room, then one between kitchen and living room and also one between first floor bedroom and living room.

That is it. It is not much but better then nothing.

Hope this helps!

By the way, when do they plan to open showhouse again?

Hey @flowrider04

I can confirm that actually 4 beds are wired for ethernet from the main eircom box. When you get to the house you will not see them as they are blanked off.

There is one cable from eircom box to the living room, then one between kitchen and living room and also one between first floor bedroom and living room.

That is it. It is not much but better then nothing.

Hope this helps!

By the way, when do they plan to open showhouse again?

That's great! its a start!

No idea on the showhouse - hoping for Saturday ( will know more on Thursday)

• Advertisement

tkrysiak wrote: »
    Sorry, no Ethernet in any rooms. I have looked into it myself and it is not that big of an expense but it can be a bit of a messy job.

Bigger issue is that the estate is not even connected by Eir so we are stuck with mobile internet.

Finally, (just so you know) Rush is a black hole when talking of internet. Pretty much like Skerries, exchanges are old, there is no fiber and SIRO is not available either - even though it is to the South, and it is to the North of us ;-)

tldr: Even if/when we get connected by Eir, we will have the same speeds as mobile internet just with more stability (hopefully)
    Unfortunately, a number of us here are working from home and every single one faces the same issue...

I find it interesting that SEA BROOK has Virgin Media! So there is hope!

Advertisement