Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    About half way thru...a bit slow to start, but really enjoying “Nightboat to
    Tangier”now.

I have to say I didn't enjoy that at all.
    I found the storyline slow and uninteresting and I was annoyed I wasted my time finishing it.

Has anyone read "Elenoir Elephant is completely fine" I couldn't put it down.

I'm not sure if it falls into the chick lit category I usually read murders / thrillers.
    Loosely, it's about a socially awkward woman that's the office nerd.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

The Girl in the Spider's Web

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭appledrop

ellejay wrote: »

I'm not sure if it falls into the chick lit category I usually read murders / thrillers.

One of the best books I read last year. It was a real surprise. Its amazing how she portrays the mind of someone with a mental illness. Outstanding.

I wouldn't class it as chick lit. I thought it might be + nearly passed it by. Glad I didn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

ellejay wrote: »

Fantastic book!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

honeybear wrote: »
    Fantastic book!

I finished it a few months ago, I thought it was great up until about half way through when it ust got really cheesy, overly dramatic and stopped making sense.
    Like why did no one care or act surprised that this one verbally abused herself once a week believing it was her dead mother speaking to her over the phone, the revelation came so randomly and suddenly without explanation
    She even 'heard' her mother randomly breaking into a Scottish accent in these imaginary phone calls
    - like why?
    I also hated how she was so messed up until suddenly she meets a man who accepts her and her life all falls into place. She starts dressing in a mainstream style, goes to a few social events and has about 3 counselling sessions and she's cured.

Also, the random epiphany during the gig of the man she was literally stalking, had been stroking his front door just days earlier - was so out of context for the character, she went from being completely irrational and in need of intervention to a normal, well balanced girl all in the space of a week because she met a nice man.

Im just annoyed that I wasted my time on it as it started out so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Myself and Richo (my dog and best friend) took a hike up Howth this evening and sat at the summit (near the Bog of Frogs) and read a few pages from this little beauty

493064.jpg

I keep it in my backpack protected with a waterproof cover and take it out when I need some time away from life's arseholes :)

I kept the depth of field pretty tight here, hence the blurring but that's looking north over Portmarnock/Velvet Strand

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Myself and Richo (my dog and best friend) took a hike up Howth this evening and sat at the summit (near the Bog of Frogs) and read a few pages from this little beauty

493064.jpg

I keep it in my backpack protected with a waterproof cover and take it out when I need some time away from life's arseholes :)

I kept the depth of field pretty tight here, hence the blurring but that's looking north over Portmarnock/Velvet Strand

I had the pleasure of seeing him in The Point/3 arena (or whatever it’s called these days) a few years back, best gig I was ever at....absolutely brilliant, and gent with it.

I’ll put that on my list,

appledrop wrote: »
    One of the best books I read last year. It was a real surprise. Its amazing how she portrays the mind of someone with a mental illness. Outstanding.

I wouldn't class it as chick lit. I thought it might be + nearly passed it by. Glad I didn't!

Would you have a recommendation of something similar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    I had the pleasure of seeing him in The Point/3 arena (or whatever it’s called these days) a few years back, best gig I was ever at....absolutely brilliant, and gent with it.

I’ll put that on my list,

I just think its a beautiful book to carry in my day sack for times when I just want to sit and take in life, read a page or two, take a breath and just be at peace.

Worth having IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Reading The Common Freedom of the People, a biography of the 17th-century figure John Lilburne, probably best known as one of the leaders of the 'Leveller' movement during the British Civil Wars. He was constantly getting into trouble, but many of his positions, including the idea of the right to remain silent, as well as the right not to self-incriminate, have been very influential in subsequent centuries. It's partly a read for work, partly for pleasure.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I started Gotta Get Theroux This by Louis Theroux. I can't help but hear his voice when I'm reading it :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Fantasy novel called the poppy wars. Excellent read.
    Latest pullman one now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

bluewolf wrote: »
    Fantasy novel called the poppy wars. Excellent read.
    Latest pullman one now

Halfway through the Poppy Wars atm, it's an interesting read.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

Just a few chapters into Jo Nesbo's The Thirst.

Very promising thriller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Im reading 2 books currently, alternately of course, one a novel, the other a more academic non-fiction book.

Non-fiction: Five Irish Women - the second republic 1960-2016, by Emer Nolan.
    I just started it and it's quite fascinating, it sets Edna O'Brian, Sinead O'Connor, Bernadette McAliskey, Nuala O'Faolin and Anne Enright into the social, cultural and political context of their time and place. It's not a portrait of their lives and works as such, more a reflection about what they represent in a certain era and atmosphere of Irish history.
    The book is insanely expensive to buy, but it's available in libraries (gosh, I love Irish libraries).

Novel:The Beekeeper of Aleppo, by Christy Lefteri.
    A beautifully written novel about the plight of Syrian refugees, their lives at home and how it was destroyed, their dehumanisation while trying to escape death and their despair and hope to survive.
    The writer used to work in a Greek refugee camp and knows what she is writing about. But still she is not moralising. She created a touching, humane story that keeps you gripped and on a deep level hopeful that us Western people could see these people as desperate human beings, not a mass of unwanted foreigners. Highly recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Banco by Henri Chatriere

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Bruised, never broken, Phil Coulter's autobiography.
    Promising so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Banco by Henri Chatriere

The follow up to Papillon, read it years ago. Let us know what you think when you are finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I am on Bill Bryson's 'A Walk in the Woods'

Dan.

• Advertisement

I loved A Walk In The Woods, I like Brysons easy going style.

I'm reading Anne Rice 'Interview With A Vampire'. I've never read it, or intended to read it, but a copy fell into my hands while I was waiting for an appointment and it drew me in. A good yarn, well told.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Candie wrote: »
    I'm reading Anne Rice 'Interview With A Vampire'. I've never read it, or intended to read it, but a copy fell into my hands while I was waiting for an appointment and it drew me in. A good yarn, well told.

I was OBSESSED with that book when I was younger. The entire original trilogy, in fact. Great movie too, in spite of Tom Cruise.

I'm another one currently reading The Secret Commonwealth. It's taking me forever, though, I started a new job last week which is unbelievably busy and demanding and I'm actually just too tired to read most evenings by the time I get to bed. Never thought I'd hear myself say that.

I didn't even know it was part of a trilogy, but I'll definitely read the others.

A colleague told me I have to read The Mayfair Witches by the same author if I enjoyed IWTV, I never heard of it but I might give it a go as well. It's the right time of year for it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

The Jockey Club by Roger Mortimer (1959)

"Lord George Bentick lost 26,000 pounds over the 1826 St Leger.
    His father, who loved racing and loathed betting, gave him a moral lecture and an estate in Ayrshire, which it was hoped would keep him away from the racecourse.
    In case he should ever find himself a little bit short of money, his brothers, Lord Titchfield and Lord Henry Bentinck, went with him to Drummond's Bank and guaranteed him in the sum of 300,000 pounds, to be drawn on any time he pleased."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Candie wrote: »
    I didn't even know it was part of a trilogy, but I'll definitely read the others.

It's part of a whole series now (The Vampire Chronicles) but the original trilogy was IWTV, The Vampire Lestat and Queen of the Damned.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Love all of Bryson's stuff. He's an absolute master at writing non-fiction. That's hardly a surprise, considering that he is so popular, but his skill as a writer is often taken for granted.

He has a new one out at the moment The Body: A Guide For The Occupants.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Arghus wrote: »
    He has a new one out at the moment The Body: A Guide For The Occupants.

Picked it up today. That's my weekend sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Liked the movie, book is on my list !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Donna Tartt the goldfinch..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,862 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The Testaments is so good, why did it have to be so short though it wont last me a weekend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement