Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather in the Media: TV, TABLOIDS etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

weather watch bbc news 10.30am today

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

gerrybhoy wrote: »

That's not scaremongering....that's making promises that won't be delivered!

Meteorologists and oceanographers warn plunging ocean temperatures in the Atlantic are at the root of the crisis.

It seems the "crisis" is already upon us.....I really liked this picture which apparently illustrates "plunging ocean temperatures"

t124r8K.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

It seems the "crisis" is already upon us.....I really liked this picture which apparently illustrates "plunging ocean temperatures"

t124r8K.jpg

Indeed. When I see that image I just think 'plunging temps and food shortages'

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Every year the Express makes the same two predictions - 3 months of winter ice and snow, and a scorchio and/or drought summer. Every year the same people complain me included ! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

sparrowcar wrote: »

Yep, apparently some swan from Siberia arrived in England triggering this panic! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Totofan99

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Hooter23

The ice age is coming now according to The Express:P

After reading this you realise no one has a clue and their just waiting to see what will happen:pac:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/weather/612369/SHOCK-CLAIM-World-is-on-brink-of-50-year-ICE-AGE-and-BRITAIN-will-bear-the-brunt

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

El Niño Paints the World's Driest Place with Color ( Chile’s Atacama desert ).

AwV4fbz.jpg?1

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/11/151103-atacama-desert-flower-bloom-el-nino/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Hurricane Kate remnants to hit UK after Storm Abigail?
    Storm Abigail is taking all the headlines in the UK but across the Atlantic another storm is making the news. Tropical Storm Kate has been upgraded to a Hurricane – and its remains could affect the UK weather too!

Kate formed in the central Bahamas and has since tracked northeast, currently located a safe distance from the east coast of the US. 

Latest observations show sustained winds of 75mph and even higher gusts but Kate is expected lose strength on Thursday.

Kate, which will then become an ex-hurricane, is forecast to track northeast across the Atlantic, passing to the northwest of the UK later this weekend. 

Due to the strong jet stream set-up we’re experiencing at the moment, the UK will see rain associated with ex-Hurricane Kate way before the low pressure arrives later on Sunday.

Saturday looks like a washout for many with strong winds in central and southern parts of the UK. Then, as the low-pressure approaches, the most unsettled conditions look like being in the northwest.

It’s still too early to predict exact rainfall and wind speeds but we could see up to 65mph gusts for ex-hurricane Kate. One thing we can say for sure is that the UK will see plenty more unsettled weather in the coming days! 

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/uk/news/articles/uk-weather/hurricane-kate-remnants-to-hit-uk-after-storm-abigail/59611/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,008 ✭✭✭mikeecho

• Registered Users Posts: 6,857 ✭✭✭prunudo

To quote Eamon Dunphy 'the guys a spoofer'

Didn't realize The Mirror and Examiner were the same, both articles are word for word.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

mikeecho wrote:
    And

It amazes me the amount of people that believe this crap. I gave up at the headline

• Registered Users Posts: 5,008 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    It amazes me the amount of people that believe this crap. I gave up at the headline

Last year I saw a collage, that showed the front pages of the Daily Mail, and every year they were predicting the coldest/snowiest! Winter in 20/50 years.

I had a look but I couldn't find it

jvan wrote: »
    To quote Eamon Dunphy 'the guys a spoofer'

Didn't realize The Mirror and Examiner were the same, both articles are word for word.

It was in the Journal.ie or one of those online "papers" yesterday; I guess they both just lifted it.

Happens all the time....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

When wind storms hit Dublin, the noise is bad enough as it is, but if you live in central Manchester, there's a building which likes to sing along:

:eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

bnt wrote: »
    When wind storms hit Dublin, the noise is bad enough as it is, but if you live in central Manchester, there's a building which likes to sing along:

:eek:

There was a bridge like that in Limerick once but they managed to stop it singing....somehow :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

There was a bridge like that in Limerick once but they managed to stop it singing....somehow :)

We were talking about that bridge tonight - the whistling bridge. My husband lived in Limerick when he graduated from college as an architect for a year. He said they fixed it by filling the hollow posts

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

We were talking about that bridge tonight - the whistling bridge. My husband lived in Limerick when he graduated from college as an architect for a year. He said they fixed it by filling the hollow posts

Sorry - filling the posts with concrete

Sorry - filling the posts with concrete

Ah memories!

I remember being down working on the docks one stormy night in the early 90s having heard about the bridge and being very disappointed to be told it didn't whistle anymore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Should be worth a look:

Britain's Wildest Weather 2015 - Channel 4, Sunday 13th Dec, 7:30-9:00pm

'115mph winds, enormous waves, tornadoes, lightning strikes - seen through the eyes of the people who faced it'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

It was in the Journal.ie or one of those online "papers" yesterday; I guess they both just lifted it.

Happens all the time....

Every year, the papers are writing the same old rubbish. Fair enough: this November was one of the worst Novembers ever when it came to rain and late October and December so far are not any better. There has been 6 weeks of unsettled, miserable weather. BUT the papers no doubt will have everything from a December 2010-style prolonged spell of snow to a Christmas Eve 1997 or 12 February 2014 style hurricane force windstorm planned for the next few months. The fact that these awful events do happen and could happen does not mean however anyone can predict what will happen.

In a month's time, there may well be snow. Or there may be springlike weather. Proper forecasters say they cannot predict beyond 10 days. Remember 2010 and someone saying that the snow would go on St Stephen's day and would come back with a vengeance in early 2011. We are still waiting for it! I remember in October 2011, they saying winter 2011/2012 was going to be worse than 2010 and they have been saying this ever since. Most of what is predicted never happens and the bad weather events that do come are seldom predicted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Britain to be hit by BLOOD RAIN: Sahara dust cloud heading for UK today as bookies slash odds on the hottest Christmas EVER!!!!!
    Daily Mail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

is this going to effect us, or just the UK, its already fairly mild .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Every year, the papers are writing the same old rubbish. Fair enough: this November was one of the worst Novembers ever when it came to rain and late October and December so far are not any better. There has been 6 weeks of unsettled, miserable weather. BUT the papers no doubt will have everything from a December 2010-style prolonged spell of snow to a Christmas Eve 1997 or 12 February 2014 style hurricane force windstorm planned for the next few months. The fact that these awful events do happen and could happen does not mean however anyone can predict what will happen.

In a month's time, there may well be snow. Or there may be springlike weather. Proper forecasters say they cannot predict beyond 10 days. Remember 2010 and someone saying that the snow would go on St Stephen's day and would come back with a vengeance in early 2011. We are still waiting for it! I remember in October 2011, they saying winter 2011/2012 was going to be worse than 2010 and they have been saying this ever since. Most of what is predicted never happens and the bad weather events that do come are seldom predicted.

In fairness I think it did hit the UK again the following year or two, it just stopped at the coast of Wales. Didn't the North and Cavan get huge amounts then as well. Seem to remember stories of thousands of sheep and cattle lost to the snow. So 'they' were right in the grand scheme of things, just not right for a few counties in a country that's the first port of call for the warm gulf stream and jetstream.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It's forecast to be 20c in NewYork and the US east coast today.
    Weather forecasters point to El Nino
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35162919

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Inside the Met Office - A Look Behind the Scenes of the Met Office Weather Forecasting HQ
    Starting on More4 tonight at 1:15am

Advertisement