Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Using router along with Vodafone Gigabox

• 24-01-2020 8:37am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭

After years using Sky I recently switched to Vodafone and I'm now using their Gigabox and so far I'm very disappointed.

It's screwed up my network and if I stream content across my LAN from NAS via wifi or purely ethernet I end up with buffering issues and its really annoying me at this stage. Prior to changing the router I had no such issues with sky.

I've not seen any settings on the Gigabox that will allow me to improve things at this stage so I'm thinking I'll connect thr Gigabox to a router and leave a router handle the wifi/ethernet.

Only problem is its been years since I've done this type of setup with a modem and router (previously with NTL in 2006), can anyone suggest a decent router to work with the Gigabox that ideally has 4 ethernet ports.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

Why would you need to keep Gigabox at the first place?
    Couldn't you just replace it altogether?

Cabaal wrote: »
    After years using Sky I recently switched to Vodafone and I'm now using their Gigabox and so far I'm very disappointed.

It's screwed up my network and if I stream content across my LAN from NAS via wifi or purely ethernet I end up with buffering issues and its really annoying me at this stage. Prior to changing the router I had no such issues with sky.

I've not seen any settings on the Gigabox that will allow me to improve things at this stage so I'm thinking I'll connect thr Gigabox to a router and leave a router handle the wifi/ethernet.

Only problem is its been years since I've done this type of setup with a modem and router (previously with NTL in 2006), can anyone suggest a decent router to work with the Gigabox that ideally has 4 ethernet ports.

I'm streaming 4k video over the gigabox's LAN from NAS to my TV with no issues. Are you sure it is the gigabox?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

alec76 wrote: »
    Why would you need to keep Gigabox at the first place?
    Couldn't you just replace it altogether?

I wasn't aware I could with Vodafones setup, how can I setup a normal router for use with Vodafone what are the settings?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ronoc wrote: »
    I'm streaming 4k video over the gigabox's LAN from NAS to my TV with no issues. Are you sure it is the gigabox?

It's the only thing that has changed and its streaming /buffering issues to multi devices on the network as well since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Do you have Vodafone TV Cabaal?

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Do you have Vodafone TV Cabaal?

Nope, don't have their voip offering either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭gar

Nope, don't have their voip offering either

I recently replaced the Gigabox router with my own.
    No issues now. Put in a Netgear nighthawk x4s

What kind of a broadband do you have (vdsl ,FTTH )?

What kind of a broadband do you have (vdsl ,FTTH )?

Vdsl I think,
    it used existing setup used by sky. Only upto 100mb not gigabit

Alright , so you can't replace Gigabox altogether , you still need vdsl modem , I've thought you are ftth.

• Advertisement

Alright , so you can't replace Gigabox altogether , you still need vdsl modem , I've thought you are ftth.

Am I right in assuming i can change the gigabox to bridge mode and just connect iot to the likes of the this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Archer-A7-Wireless-Combined-Supports/dp/B00416PTDW/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=router&qid=1580110811&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&sr=8-10

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Tabby McTat

Am I right in assuming i can change the gigabox to bridge mode and just connect iot to the likes of the this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Archer-A7-Wireless-Combined-Supports/dp/B00416PTDW/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=router&qid=1580110811&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&sr=8-10

Hi Cabaal. Just wondering how you got on here. I'm having similar issues with the VF Gigabox. Download speeds are as expected at 70/80 Mbps but the connection drops on a regular basis. Likewise previously with Sky and never had any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rostalof

barrac wrote: »
    Hi Cabaal. Just wondering how you got on here. I'm having similar issues with the VF Gigabox. Download speeds are as expected at 70/80 Mbps but the connection drops on a regular basis. Likewise previously with Sky and never had any issues.

Same here, previously with EIR, had no issues. Now this crappy gigabox drops the connection every few minutes, not conducive to working from home. I setup the old EIR router a few weeks back, broadband was fine, but after setting it up I realised I couldn't add the connection details for our landline which is part of the VF package. The landline is equally as unreliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭sheroman01

rostalof wrote: »
    Same here, previously with EIR, had no issues. Now this crappy gigabox drops the connection every few minutes, not conducive to working from home. I setup the old EIR router a few weeks back, broadband was fine, but after setting it up I realised I couldn't add the connection details for our landline which is part of the VF package. The landline is equally as unreliable.

Exact same here! Was with Eir - connection never dropped. Two months with Vodafone and as other posters say, speeds appear great (70/80) but connection always drops and there is a lag on nearly every page - especially on my iphone (cache was deleted, made no difference). Hopefully there is some fix for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Tabby McTat

I wonder is this an issue with the Router itself. I'd be willing to look at a new router or a mesh system if it would fix things.

I wonder is this an issue with the Router itself. I'd be willing to look at a new router or a mesh system if it would fix things.

Possibly. We were using Eir router beforehand. Noticed some drops but not as much. Certainly worse in the last two weeks. Vodafone have confirmed via Twitter PM that they can see my internet is on and off and have reported it, so let's see where it goes from here...

This is definitely an issue with the crap 'Gigabox' router. As I said, no problems with EIR previously. Then I setup the EIR router with the Vodafone connections details, perfect connection and no connection drops for hours. Umfortunately I couldn't get the phone setup working with the EIR router so had to go back to intermittent broadband and phone on the Gigash!te router instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 emilrasyad

I replaced VFE huawei modem router more than a year ago with Linksys x6200 VDSL https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01A9EW46Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and never had issue with connection drops or modem hang. Settings for VDSL are available if you google around or you can PM me if you need one.

emilrasyad wrote: »
    I replaced VFE huawei modem router more than a year ago with Linksys x6200 VDSL https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01A9EW46Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and never had issue with connection drops or modem hang. Settings for VDSL are available if you google around or you can PM me if you need one.
    The phone\voip settings? Do you have them?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 emilrasyad

The phone\voip settings? Do you have them?

I'm still on vdsl so my phone is still using splitter.

Perhaps you can check the voip line status profile when using the vodafone modem router.

• Advertisement

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Possibly. We were using Eir router beforehand. Noticed some drops but not as much. Certainly worse in the last two weeks. Vodafone have confirmed via Twitter PM that they can see my internet is on and off and have reported it, so let's see where it goes from here...

Ok, problem solved. Got the previous generation Vodafone Huawei router, the H659. Plugged it in, connected the phone and it's working fine. Speed test shows speeds of around 20mbps which is the same as the crappy router. If it stays like this for the week, that Gigabox doorstop is going in the bin.

Ok, problem solved. Got the previous generation Vodafone Huawei router, the H659. Plugged it in, connected the phone and it's working fine. Speed test shows speeds of around 20mbps which is the same as the crappy router. If it stays like this for the week, that Gigabox doorstop is going in the bin.

Thanks for the update - that's great to hear. Our internet has been dropping a frustrating amount of times since we got it. A few reboots help it temporarily but still terrible. Think I'll try a different router!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 equal_moon

@Cabaal did you manage to use your own router/modem instead of the VF Gigabox? Or tother with it?

Our rural house is getting connected via NBI and there are quite a few providers we can choose from and I want one where I can use my own device for things like Pi-hole or just stronger WiFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Glaceon

On NBI you won't need the Gigabox at all. You'll just need a router that supports VLAN tagging.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 equal_moon

Great! Thanks. I called and then used the Vodafone online chat. Both times they said I must use their Gigabox. Those were sales people and wouldn't expect they'd know or just don't want to be bothered with stuff like this...

They won't support you using a third party router but once you configure it correctly it'll work. If you intend to get their phone service you'll need to keep the Gigabox though, at least just for the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭65535

I use a Fritz Box with VLAN Tagging for Vodafone via FTTH

For VoIP I am using IrishVoip.com

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Gimme Stitches

I just got Vodafone installed today via NBI rollout.

I have bought a Unifi dream machine pro and want to use that instead of the Gigabox supplied from Vodafone. Can I just connect it up and it will work out of the box or what configuration will need to be done? Not familiar with the VLAN tagging.

You’ll need to configure the VLAN ID on the Unifi but I’ve never used one so wouldn’t be familiar with where it is. You’ll also need to set up the WAN connection as PPPoE with Vodafone’s details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Gimme Stitches

What does the VLAN ID need to be configured too?

Advertisement