Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Upgrade Windows 7 to 10 for free (still works)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

mrtom wrote: »
    Ah, if only this was the case! My W7 wont update; Error: 0x8007001f-0x20006
    I attempted to upgrade my Sony Viao pcg-71911m to W 10.
    Late in the process after downloading & processing, it flagged error :

w 10 upgrade failed
    0x8007001f-0x20006
    the installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during REPLICATE_OC operation

I have followed all the steps in guide:
    https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-update-keeps-failing-0x8007001f-0x20006

Ran the Win online update repair tool, SFC etc etc

So my research tells me this error related to update issue in my case is an ehco of a deeper malaise.

The attch show upgrade error & my smugged Win sticker.
    As my key retrival tools produce a mismatch with the sticker this is becoming the perfect storm !
    intriguing stuff altogether

The Win7 OEM key built in to the firmware of your (or indeed anyone’s) device will never match the key on the CoA sticker.

This is a peculiarity of older Windows activation methods such as that used in 7.
    Key in the firmware is a generic key for the brand of your device, Dell, HP, Acer, etc. and version that has been supplied for said device, whether Win7 Home, Pro, Ultimate.
    Key on the CoA is unique to your device, but it is not used from the factory. It is only supplied as a legal requirement.
    In Windows 7, OEM Windows devices (i.e. big name brands like Dell, not home built PCs made by buying individual components yourself, as many of us also do) use the generic key from the firmware (BIOS) of the device, which is validated against an OEM.xrm-ms certificate that is part of the Windows system files installed from a Windows 7 OEM install dvd.

Windows 7 OEM dvds for the various OEM brands contain the certificates needed for that brand. A Dell disc, for example, will install on, again for example, a HP computer, but it will not give you an activated system, because the Dell cert and the HP firmware key won’t match.

If you currently have a Windows 7 install that is activated and working (I mean working other than refusing to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows Update) then I would recommend that you also Google about the following. I have tried to explain as best I can, but hopefully it points you on the right track to research what I speak of before doing it, just to reassure yourself and learn what’s involved.
    (This I should point out is completely legit method, not piracy in any way. You will be using Microsoft tools to do this, and you are entitled to this licence if you have a legit Windows 7.)

Get Microsoft Windows 10 media creation tool. A small app to download, this will allow you to get an install ISO of Win10 that you can burn to a DVD and use. Or you can if you know how use a USB key. (Learn about an app called Rufus if you want to use a USB. You’ll need it to make an install USB)
    If you currently have Win7 home basic or home premium, then get Win 10 home ISO. If you have Win7 Professional or Ultimate then get Win10 Pro.

On a Windows 10 install disc there is a file that may be used to generate an activation file from your valid Win7 install which can then be used to permanently activate a corresponding, cleanly installed Win10 install on the same machine, without any need to go through the upgrading from Windows 7 rigmarole.

The file is named “gatherosstate.exe” and it is contained in the sources folder of any Windows 10 install disc.
    Windows 10 activation is different to Windows 7, the branding of your machine won’t matter here, this is a generic method.
    If you copy this file to a folder on your pc, (anywhere on the hard drive, but make sure it is the only file in the folder). Run the file and it will create a XML file “GenuineTicket.xml”, which you should save to some place safe like on a memory stick, as you’ll need to use it later to activate 10. (Clean install will wipe the hard drive/SSD of your computer.)

The rest of the instructions I will just copy/paste from another site
    This can also circumvents the "Something happened, Windows 10 installation has failed" error while upgrading. :)

Preconditions:
    You have Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.x activated successfully (retail or OEM licensing only). This doesn't apply to volume licenses such as KMS or MAK.
    Download the Windows 10 ISO that's suitable for the upgrade path i.e. Windows 7 Ultimate or Pro will upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.

Instructions:
    Optional: Validate your copy of Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.x
    Install all necessary drivers e.g. ethernet & wireless card
    Open your Windows 10 ISO and extract gatherosstate.exe from the sources folder to your desktop
    Run gatherosstate.exe and wait for the GenuineTicket.xml file to be created
    Copy the GenuineTicket.xml to a USB thumb drive or something
    Boot to your Windows 10 USB or DVD and perform a fresh install
    Disable your internet connection
    Copy GenuineTicket.xml to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\ClipSVC\GenuineTicket\ and then reboot
    Connect online and you should be activated

If you ever perform a clean install in the future simply select "I don't have a product key" and then when you connect online Windows will activate itself.

If you can’t see the “Program Data” folder after installing 10, go into folder options in the Windows file explorer and tick show hidden files and folders, as it is by default hidden.

Sorryif I made some typos, as I am doing this on an iPad.
    Good luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

duridian wrote: »
    The Win7 OEM key built in to the firmware of your (or indeed anyone’s) device will never match the key on the CoA sticker.

This is a peculiarity of older Windows activation methods such as that used in 7.
    Key in the firmware is a generic key for the brand of your device, Dell, HP, Acer, etc. and version that has been supplied for said device, whether Win7 Home, Pro, Ultimate.
    Key on the CoA is unique to your device, but it is not used from the factory. It is only supplied as a legal requirement.
    In Windows 7, OEM Windows devices (i.e. big name brands like Dell, not home built PCs made by buying individual components yourself, as many of us also do) use the generic key from the firmware (BIOS) of the device, which is validated against an OEM.xrm-ms certificate that is part of the Windows system files installed from a Windows 7 OEM install dvd.

Windows 7 OEM dvds for the various OEM brands contain the certificates needed for that brand. A Dell disc, for example, will install on, again for example, a HP computer, but it will not give you an activated system, because the Dell cert and the HP firmware key won’t match.

If you currently have a Windows 7 install that is activated and working (I mean working other than refusing to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows Update) then I would recommend that you also Google about the following. I have tried to explain as best I can, but hopefully it points you on the right track to research what I speak of before doing it, just to reassure yourself and learn what’s involved.
    (This I should point out is completely legit method, not piracy in any way. You will be using Microsoft tools to do this, and you are entitled to this licence if you have a legit Windows 7.)

Get Microsoft Windows 10 media creation tool. A small app to download, this will allow you to get an install ISO of Win10 that you can burn to a DVD and use. Or you can if you know how use a USB key. (Learn about an app called Rufus if you want to use a USB. You’ll need it to make an install USB)
    If you currently have Win7 home basic or home premium, then get Win 10 home ISO. If you have Win7 Professional or Ultimate then get Win10 Pro.

On a Windows 10 install disc there is a file that may be used to generate an activation file from your valid Win7 install which can then be used to permanently activate a corresponding, cleanly installed Win10 install on the same machine, without any need to go through the upgrading from Windows 7 rigmarole.

The file is named “gatherosstate.exe” and it is contained in the sources folder of any Windows 10 install disc.
    Windows 10 activation is different to Windows 7, the branding of your machine won’t matter here, this is a generic method.
    If you copy this file to a folder on your pc, (anywhere on the hard drive, but make sure it is the only file in the folder). Run the file and it will create a XML file “GenuineTicket.xml”, which you should save to some place safe like on a memory stick, as you’ll need to use it later to activate 10. (Clean install will wipe the hard drive/SSD of your computer.)

If you can’t see the “Program Data” folder after installing 10, go into folder options in the Windows file explorer and tick show hidden files and folders, as it is by default hidden.

That information about creating an activation xml is gold. The amount of times we have had to install windows 7 in order to upgrade to a licensed version on windows 10. This will save lots of time as upgrades take longer even from a fresh windows 7 installation.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

glasso wrote: »
    you can delete is straightaway.

an accumulation of updates over years on the old windows 7 means that the clean install takes up less space than the old one

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-delete-the-windows-old-folder-from-windows-10/

Ah makes sense. Yes most of my SSD for C: was taken up with Windows 7 updates!

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭mrtom

duridian wrote: »

Finally a way forward duridian ;);)

Yes, worked exactly as described !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭St. Lupulin

My laptop won't connect to my TV with a hdmi ever since I upgraded, any ideas?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Cheers.
    The graphics driver is not compatible with Windows 10. Look for an updated driver. What is the graphics card model.
    I wonder if it's an amd dual graphics. I had serious trouble with one a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Cheers.

W10 probably installed a generic driver for your graphics card/ on-board graphics. Go to the manufacturers site and download their graphics driver, that should unlock all its features.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

dingding wrote: »
    Since the upgrade I am missing some files from the desktop. Any idea where I can find them, are the old files retained anywhere for reversing the process. Also I seem to have freed up 10 GB with the upgrade.

Any ideas appriciated.

Sorted, just logged me in as an admin by default. When I logged in as the previous user all was there.

A great upgrade thanks OP for the heads up and everyone who helped with this query.

Glad to have saved a few souls from being subject to ransomware down the road

Now if only the HSE read Bargain Alerts ;)

Go to your computer manufacturers site, Dell Lenovo etc and get the driver from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Correct me if I am wrong, but installing windows 10 directly (not a win7 to 10 upgrade path) and simply inputting a genuine Win7 OEM key is legal - yes?

I have done this several times with various PCs/Laptops and the win7 keys on the chassis' register just fine with Microsoft.

bunderoon wrote: »
    Correct me if I am wrong, but installing windows 10 directly (not a win7 to 10 upgrade path) and simply inputting a genuine Win7 OEM key is legal - yes?

I have done this several times with various PCs/Laptops and the win7 keys on the chassis' register just fine with Microsoft.

Yes it's perfectly legal, problems arise when the sticker on the computer is rejected by ms as an OEM key.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Go to your computer manufacturers site, Dell Lenovo etc and get the driver from there.

There's no windows 10 version.

I downloaded the windows 7 version and the hdmi works and the laptop is running smoother.

Certain images on websites do not load properly though....like half the jerseys in my fantasy football squad.

There's no windows 10 version.

I downloaded the windows 7 version and the hdmi works and the laptop is running smoother.

Certain images on websites do not load properly though....like half the jerseys in my fantasy football squad.

Is there an 8.1 version? Download it to your desktop, right click it and select compatibility mode, the website loading problem could be a network driver issue.

Is there an 8.1 version? Download it to your desktop, right click it and select compatibility mode, the website loading problem could be a network driver issue.

Windows 8?

https://www.dell.com/support/home/lt/en/ltbsdt1/product-support/product/latitude-e5420/drivers

Give the 8 driver a try, do a straight install first, if that doesn't work try compatibility mode. Did you try updating the driver that you're running now, sometimes you can get lucky.

Sorted, nice one Cobo.

• Advertisement

Sorted, nice one Cobo.

You're welcome, what worked in the end?

You're welcome, what worked in the end?

Installing the Windows 8 version then updating the driver like you said. Although I never actually tried to update it with the windows 7 version, that would have probably worked as well. Updating it didn't do anything when I first started trying to fix it so that threw me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭billyhead

How big is the windows 10 installation file that's downloaded?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

billyhead wrote: »
    about 3.5gb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

If you mean how big is the Windows 10 installer image that is downloaded by Media Creation Tool, then it is I think between 3.5 to 4GB for the 64 bit version.

Or around 3GB if (unlikely) that you need the 32 bit version.
    (Very unlikey that you would want the 32 bit version, as it is really only for machines with very little RAM and storage, like some of the cheap Intel Atom tablets on the market 5 to 7 years ago, which came with 32 bit Windows 8 or 8.1.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭G1032

It's 5.05GB. See attached screenshot from my phone where I downloaded the file to

You'll need around 38GB free on your C: to install as it failed for me until I got to this level.

Of course this could be related to the size of your downloaded updates for Win7/8.
    My Windows.old was 41GB!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Still havent got round to doing this yet (fear of the unknown probably) but I have a couple of questions that someone may be able to help with.

1. Is there any way to know in advance that a desktop PC can handle Windows 10? Im clueless when it comes to tech issues but from reading things in the past would stuff like the processor, graphics, wireless printer etc etc still work?

2. Would I need to back up Windows 7 first and if so how is that done?

I have all my files etc backed up so hopefully will give this upgrade a go in the next day or so.

muffler wrote: »
    Still havent got round to doing this yet (fear of the unknown probably) but I have a couple of questions that someone may be able to help with.

1. Is there any way to know in advance that a desktop PC can handle Windows 10? Im clueless when it comes to tech issues but from reading things in the past would stuff like the processor, graphics, wireless printer etc etc still work?

2. Would I need to back up Windows 7 first and if so how is that done?

I have all my files etc backed up so hopefully will give this upgrade a go in the next day or so.

The upgrade process backs up your Windows 7 automatically, and then rolls back if it fails.

No risk.

Additionally if for any reason Windows 10 is not acting properly you have a month to roll back to your Windows 7 installation which involves just clicking a button.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I tried it on a laptop and it was working fine. Turned it off after using it as normal and now it won't start up!
    Freezes on startup right after the windows logo disappears.

Advertisement