Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Pixel 3a €249 on Vodafone (In Stock!)

Comments

says scratch resistance same here

Gorilla possibly/ probably better for drops but not quantified

https://www.androidauthority.com/gorilla-glass-comparison-886866/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

has better shock resistance. Both are fantastic in each regard, but Dragontrail is more likely to break if a phone is dropped.

Dropped my phone last week had cheap 1 eur glass protector...it saved the screen !

• glasso wrote: »
    says scratch resistance same here

Gorilla possibly/ probably better for drops but not quantified

https://www.androidauthority.com/gor...arison-886866/

It suggests they all share a Mohs hardness of 7, they are merely rounding up. Looking at it more simply, they both have a different Vickers hardness value according to my links above (638 vs 673). If JerryRigEverything had used picks instead of e.g. 6.6, 6.7 hardness etc. he would see the minor difference between the two materials. And likewise the Gorilla Glass is slightly more shock resistant for similar reasons.

Anyway they are both very minor differences and nothing the general consumer should be concerned about. :)

It suggests they all share a Mohs hardness of 7, they are merely rounding up. Looking at it more simply, they both have a different Vickers hardness value according to my links above (638 vs 673). If JerryRigEverything had used picks instead of e.g. 6.6, 6.7 hardness etc. he would see the minor difference between the two materials. And likewise the Gorilla Glass is slightly more shock resistant for similar reasons.

Anyway they are both very minor differences and nothing the general consumer should be concerned about. :)

agreed - it's not as if just because it's not branded Gorilla glass that it's sh1t! (or for that matter that Gorilla glass is the be all and end all)

the choice of protection for phones should depend on how careful you are in general with them.

if you have a history of frequently dropping phones / general muppetry in terms of clumsiness then go the whole hog!

I just use a case that covers the back and the front screen is naked as the day it was born in China.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Still not back in stock on VF site. I wonder will it at all.

Anybody see any deals around for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭wingnut

Are these locked when you get them? I bought one off Google in a few months back, my 1 yo dropped it and its cracked the screen.

Google are charging €158 for a repair, so I wonder am I better off waiting to get a new one from VF. I was hoping it would last to 4a release but God Damnit!

• wingnut wrote: »
    Are these locked when you get them? I bought one off Google in a few months back, my 1 yo dropped it and its cracked the screen.

Google are charging €158 for a repair, so I wonder am I better off waiting to get a new one from VF. I was hoping it would last to 4a release but God Damnit!

Nope. :)

Anyone get a screen replacement direct from Google of these, a lot of people here with broken screens just wondering?

Choosing between replacing the screen or just getting the Moto G7 Power on amazon for the same money. Worried about the camera quality drop though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Anyone know if the XL is unlocked ?

Anyone know if the XL is unlocked ?

none of the google phones are sold locked

• Advertisement

wingnut wrote: »

that's the problem with OLED screens - they are always more expensive to replace.

although if you only broke the glass and the screen is still working you could try this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Google-Pixel-3a-Front-Glass-Screen-Replacement-Repair-Kit-Black/233239878910?hash=item364e2e1cfe:g:ARIAAOSwpJReAP1o

and check a youtube guide

if you need the actual screen

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311.R4.TR5.TRC1.A0.H0.Xpixel+3a+screen+.TRS0&_nkw=pixel+3a+screen+replacement&_sacat=0

glasso wrote: »
    that's the problem with OLED screens - they are always more expensive to replace.

although if you only broke the glass and the screen is still working you could try this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Google-Pixel-3a-Front-Glass-Screen-Replacement-Repair-Kit-Black/233239878910?hash=item364e2e1cfe:g:ARIAAOSwpJReAP1o

and check a youtube guide

if you need the actual screen

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311.R4.TR5.TRC1.A0.H0.Xpixel+3a+screen+.TRS0&_nkw=pixel+3a+screen+replacement&_sacat=0

I've replaced glass before but it never feels like oem

Well Vodafone don't have them in stock so it's 12£ Vs €158

I'm sure you could suffer non OEM glass until the 4a comes out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Where's the best place to get this seeing as it doesn't look like it will be back in stock with VF?

Or could anyone recommend a similar phone (good camera a priority) at a similar price point?

Where's the best place to get this seeing as it doesn't look like it will be back in stock with VF?

Or could anyone recommend a similar phone (good camera a priority) at a similar price point?

buy one from one of the punters trying to turn a profit from the ones that they bought from Vodafone

all will be unlocked as all pixel phones come unlocked.

https://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_pixel+3a/price_150/

or else once you are ok with a smaller 5 inch (vs 5.5) screen eglobal are doing a great price of €240 on the full flagship pixel 2. (more powerful cpu and fully waterproof)

https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/catalogsearch/result/?cat=&q=pixel+2

Google has 50 off at the moment-349

that's like the standard price now really.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Coming up as 399 for me on the Irish store, is the 50 off somewhere else?

Coming up as 399 for me on the Irish store, is the 50 off somewhere else?

Expired probably

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

Appeared available for about 30 minutes earlier, out of stock again:(

• Advertisement

I logged in seven minutes after recieving the notification it was back in stock and it was gone. Either there was only a handful for sale or lots of people were able to log in and buy within 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Black phone back in stock now. I was just able to place an order without error.

Dang mine just got back from screen repair. Good service from Google, they picked it up Thursday last sent it to Poland, replaced the screen and had it back to me today. (Three working day turnaround). Came back in a new retail box with cloth and sim tool and a "hello again" slip.

I still would have bought the vodafone one had it been in stock if anything for a fresh battery. The screen replacement is top notch you would never know it wasn't original.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭long_b

Black phone back in stock now. I was just able to place an order without error.

Cheers OP.
    Smashed the screen on my S7 so hopefully order gets processed OK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 LionelHutz32

Are Eir still the best/quickest way now to get a free SIM in order to avail of the €100 off for this phone?

I noticed below on their site mentions a €20 top-up, do you need to top-up first in order to get the SIM now? ..

Order your SIM
    eir prepay is now giving you No Limits Data. This means you are free to use your data however you want, along with Unlimited Calls or Texts for just €20 top up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭long_b

Are Eir still the best/quickest way now to get a free SIM in order to avail of the €100 off for this phone?

I noticed below on their site mentions a €20 top-up, do you need to top-up first in order to get the SIM now? ..

Order your SIM
    eir prepay is now giving you No Limits Data. This means you are free to use your data however you want, along with Unlimited Calls or Texts for just €20 top up.
    If you're going for this handset I'd pop out to a bricks and mortar shop and pay the tenner for a SIM.
    Stock is unikely to last IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Order your SIM

Does the €100 off mean that this phone is sold for €179 rather than €279? Or is the 279 price including the €100 discount?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Does the €100 off mean that this phone is sold for €179 rather than €279? Or is the 279 price including the €100 discount?

€179 if you port your number

Still available....looks like they have loads in stock this time !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Order your SIM

I used an Eir sim and didnt have to top up. Phone is wiht An Post now and on the way

Advertisement