Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DeLonghi ESAM4200S Super Automatic

Options
  • 18-10-2008 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

Hi...

I'm in the market for a super automatic coffee machine for around the 500 euro price point.

I was keenly interested in one of the Saeco Talea machines [snipped].

So I spotted this DeLonghi ESAM4200S from Argos. After reading some reviews it seems like DeLonghi make a decent enough coffee machine.

Any thoughts or experience with this machine?

Thanks

Alan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I'm not a big fan of the bean to cup machines - I like control over the whole process. We have a big Jura one in work, and it produces so-so coffee, but there is nothing you can do to improve it.

Looking at the specs of the machines, they both boast 15 bar pressure, but more pressure is not such a good thing. It's common for people to turn down the pressure on OPV equipped machines to about 9 bar, which is optimum for espresso. Both have the plastic frothing attachments which supposedly make frothing easier, but you'll never get proper microfoam using one of these gadgets.The Delonghi allows you to regulate the temperature which is not really a good thing either, as the water temp is critical to extract the most from your beans.

On the plus side, they're both dual boiler machines, so you don't need to wait until it's up to temp to froth milk. Also they both have burr grinders which will ensure your beans are freshly ground.

Personally, I'd pick up a Manual espresso machine and decent grinder and work on my technique.

This thread has debated it to death: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055393954 and the House of Fraiser Gaggia Classic for £199 is a steal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭AlanD

In the end, I bought this machine. I love it to death. It makes super coffee and the steamer isn't half bad. I'm sure it's not the best there is, but it's the best I've experienced.

Lets hope it works for years to come.

Oh, FYI Argos have dropped the price by 50 euro in their Christmas catalogue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gavdv

I was in the same dilemma as AlanD!
    Decided to purchase one last week as Argos had dropped the price and I had some Nectar points to discount it!

It's a great machine and having looked at the range of Gaggia in House of Fraser - it's better quality!

Comes with a 2yr Guarantee too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭AlanD

Any idea how to make the coffee a little bit hotter out of this machine?

Also, any idea how to make a bigger cup? I have a reasonably average cup size and the largest cup I can make comes to about three quarters of the cup. To make a large cup, I hit the 2-cup function. Not ideal.

Great machine all the same. I love the coffee from it.

Advertisement