Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edinburgh Marathon 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Did it last year and left it a lot later than this to decide so good for you. Weren't you on some of the Dublin Race Series threads? If so you're hopefully running regularly and I assume you have a training plan worked out. If not, see Hal Higdon. I didn't use his plans for Edinburgh but did for Dublin this year (Novice 2) and found it excellent.

First thing was to book on time - we missed the normal deadline and ended up costing us €100 each. If you have friends or rellies in the UK, it's cheaper for UK entrants.

Next was a place to stay - there were 6 of us travelling and we found this place to stay in and it was great. Only a few mins walk from Murrayfield village, regular buses into the city, yet it was like being in the country.

Next thing - I'd recommend the international breakfast run. Great fun and a nice leg loosener the day before. Went on a bus tour of Edinburgh the day after and it was lovely. The city was in shreds due to the construction of a new tram system when we were there - and I expect it will be next year too. But still a nice place.

For race day itself we got a taxi in to the city (can't remember how much). We were there in plenty of time (arrived for the half for my brother & his wife). It was a VERY warm day - warmer than I'd run in before. Route goes out and back along the coast, looping through a private estate at the turn. Hardly any hills but I'd recommend you get with a running buddy (even if it's a stranger) because it's a long road looking at runners miles ahead of you if you're on your own (especially if you're struggling like I was). I was honestly sorry I hadn't an iPod (in complete contrast to Dublin) because a lot of the route is sparsely populated so the support thins out quite a bit. In the populated areas, the support was fantastic - top class. Snacks, jellies, drinks, fruit, ice pops, etc. - the best of all were the numerous water showers (garden hoses) provided along the way. The people were brilliant. When we got to the end, after relaxing (the meeting points were quite discreetly marked, by the way) there is quite a long walk to the railway station for the shuttle buses back to the city. We happened upon the bus that went back to Murrayfield and jumped (slight exaggeration) on that. So I'd recommend that instead of paying extra for the shuttle bus pass.

Finally I'd recommend flying Aer Lingus rather than Ryanair. Not that I have anything against Ryanair but Aer Lingus use air bridges to the planes, rather than walking down steps and back up steps to the Ryanair planes. You'll be glad you did.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zooming

What a brilliant post!!!!
    Thank you so so much for all the info, you are a star. I have booked my place in the marathon, and have also booked flights with the dreaded EASYJET as we are flying from Belfast. Im looking around now for accommodation and have found a couple of guest houses that are more reasonable than the big hotels.
    Yes I did the Dublin half in September, and followed Hal Higdon, and I intend to follow his Novice 1 marathon programme which begins in the new year, until then Im still running 3 times a week.
    Many thanks again for your post.
    Are you running it yourself?

No problem - not going again this year. Planning for some home marathons instead. Enjoy it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Dilbert75 wrote: »

Finally I'd recommend flying Aer Lingus rather than Ryanair. Not that I have anything against Ryanair but Aer Lingus use air bridges to the planes, rather than walking down steps and back up steps to the Ryanair planes. You'll be glad you did.:D

Great piece of advice Dilbert. I ran this last year and got a Ryanair flight the next day. It was a sight seeing all the half crippled people, crawling down the stairs. +1 on all the points you made, exactly how I would have summed up the experience too.

Unfortunately due to my other halfs work commitments we have to head back on the &.30pm flight after the marathon... It should be interesting seeing me get up out of my seat after the flight! Lol!!

• Advertisement

Is there NO ONE else doing this marathon??? :eek:

zooming wrote: »
    Is there NO ONE else doing this marathon??? :eek:

Ah there'll be a few! How's the training coming along?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sulli

Hi, I am doing it also!! Did a half marathon in 1.44 in march since then i have done nada!! Got injured playing football and being going out too much!!! Have my sisters wedding this wknd but after that am hoping to do 1 15k run, followed by 2 21k runs and hopefully one 31k run and pray to the gods I actually finish!!! Haven't been able to follow a plan because I play gaa 3 times a wk!! It's going to hurt!!!

Good luck with that. By conventional standards that's not a strong base for a full marathon. That's not to say you won't succeed but you'll probably find it tough enough.

ha! cheers for that! Yeah i reckon it will be very tough but sure no pain no gain! Just doing it to tick the box. Once i come in under 5 hours i will be happy! after this weekend giving up the booze and will just train and eat well! the only thing that might stand to me is i have done Gaelforce West last yr. i know its completely different race but at least i know what its like to be out on my legs for 5 and a half hours!!!!
    also i see that mp3 players and the likes are banned...you reckon you could get away with it?

• Advertisement

Im training away, following HH novice 1 plan, my goal is to bloody finish!!! Initially 5 hours was my goal but im thinking it be closer to 5 and a half...

So did 15 miles last friday in 2hrs 25mins. Have two matches this wk so no running but will do 15 again mxt wk...followed by 20 miles the following two wks!! And walk the rest on the day of marathon!!!"

so did my first 20 miler the weekend...did it in 3 hrs 15 but was absolutely broken after it...could barely walk! this a decent time? have a match now tonight and try and fit in at least 30 miles this week!

Advertisement