Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mw3 - Tips and tricks thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

perk set up-use blind eye pro*,assasin pro**because of the amount of aerial support thats up.

you have to take into account the retardedness of your team mates not making an effort to shoot aerial support down.

*,**DISCLAIMER...please dont camp using these perks.Thanks:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

I would recommend this video to anyone who wants to understand the mechanics of the game better, for newcomers and vets if they do not already know it.

It is a bit technical, but it is informative on how weapon damage is calculated.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Im loving the xm25 as a secondary. Fast to use, lots of damage and real easy to blow up people hiding behind cars

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Jack Bracken

Let's talk shotties.

When you fire a shotgun round, it fires x amount of pellets (not sure on the technical term, tbh), damage is calculated by the number of pellets to hit your enemy multiplied by the damage multiplier (which varies from model of gun, area hit and distance) for each pellet. Using extended mags with a shotgun increases the number of pellets by 50%, so each shot can potentially do 150% normal damage. No idea why this is the case, but it is.

Range seems more useful than damage to me, increases the maximum effective range of a shotgun, and increases the distance before damage drop off.

The USAS 12 seems to be glitched for Xbox, giving double sprint distance (and freeing up extreme conditioning from the first perk tier). I'd recommend SoH considering this and its clip size.

Steady aim will tighten up the pellet cluster a bit when hip-firing, which means more pellets hitting and more damage, if you hip-fire a lot.

All I can think of for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭baldymac

CORaven wrote: »
    I would recommend this video to anyone who wants to understand the mechanics of the game better, for newcomers and vets if they do not already know it.

It is a bit technical, but it is informative on how weapon damage is calculated.

yes ths vid looks good in theory but what about actually game play

i.e connection and lag etc, so how can you get a hit marker from 10 feet with a sniper?

• Advertisement

Haven't watched the video, but it depends on where you hit them. Snipers have no damage drop off over distance, so the reason you can get a hit marker without killing them from 10 feet is the same reason it can happen from 100 feet. It depends entirely on the location of the hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Domination
    Primary: Silenced AR/SMG Some pointstreaks are easier to take down than with a launcher. I destroyed an Osprey Gunship with a suppressed P90 after wasting two stinger missiles on it yesterday.
    Secondary: Stinger
    Blind Eye Pro and Hardline pro
    Care pack, predator & heli

It's ridiculous how often you cycle through your point streaks with this set up. Went 42-2 in a game in hard hat. Ok, it's not youtube material but a seriously good score for someone like me. Taking down air support, capping flags, 2 assists count as kills....muuhaha. Everytime you see an enemy strafe run you are almost certain to get your helicopter.

Also works ok in tdm. Was playing with 3 guys from my clan after and they honestly thought someone else had the pad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

baldymac wrote: »
    yes ths vid looks good in theory but what about actually game play

i.e connection and lag etc, so how can you get a hit marker from 10 feet with a sniper?

As Jack said, both the range of at which a sniper rifle hits makes no difference, and that it is the location of the hit on the enemies body that influence damage.
    There are numerous reasons for getting hit markers, but if you are sure you did not hit an aircraft/sentry or and armoured foe, there are two main reasons.
    Using a silencer on a sniper does reduce the damage it deals at all ranges.
    Secondly, you may have hit them in the foot. It does not matter what you see on your screen, it matters what the host sees. If your console sends out info that you fire a shot from you coordinate towards another, by the time it gets to the host, you may be not quite on target.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,425 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

40 kills on pistols to get Master standard and 10K points, not so easy on core games but play hardcore kill confirmed and you'll easily get them, slow at first but go akimbo when u unlock it and you'll fly through the rest!

Didn't realise the pistol kills were so low, should be able to get a few of them done in an hour or two! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭badgerhowlin

have Crap connection well thats an understatement.

Primary : P90 with Red dot sight\extanded mags and rapid fire
    Secondary: Stinger

2 attachments

Perk 1: Sleight of Hand/Extreme Conditioning
    Perk 2: Assassin
    Perk 3: Dead Silence

Killstreaks: 4 care package / 5 pred / 7 chopper

Can get a good deal of kills with this set up

Average 7-10 kills 6-12 deaths. on **** connection
    Average 17-20 kills 6-12 deaths on good connection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Thought this was one of the best guides to really play the game(taken off another site)
    PHYSICAL TACTICS

1. Always have the FMG9 akimbo as your secondary: 8 times out of ten the FMG9's will win the close range engagement. Dropshotting with them makes sure you will almost NEVER lose an close range fight. Also, make sure you have these equipped when clearing out houses....like in carbon.

2. If you get shot first, drop immediately: If somebody shoots you first theres a good chance you're goind to see the kill cam. Dropping will throw their aim off for a second so you can get off your shots first.....this is the technique of dropshotting.

3. Hip fire frequently: When your close to somebody make sure you're already firing while you're going to ADS.

4. The Type 95 red dot sight is your friend

5. Equip silencers but don't equip assassin: If you're shooting you do not want to be seen on the radar because you will not be focused, but you should be good enough that if you're just walking around you can be alert enough to successfully engage anybody that finds you.

6. Always have the stalker perk equipped: see tip 12

7. Go to youtube and learn how to dropshot.

8. Do not run much, this leaves you vunerable.

9. ADS around corners instead of rushing around corners.

10. Disable controller vibration: It will help your aim and focus when your getting fired on.

11. The Silenced ACR is your friend.

12. When you aim strafe with the enemy instead of stopping: The enemy will have a harder time aiming at you.

13. As soon as you see an enemy and you know you have a shot....do not hesitate in the slightest and just unload. (You can also use this tip when making love with ur gf....oh wait....this is a MW3 board...uhh nvm. lol ^_^)

----MINDSET TIPS

1. Don't get too serious about this game, you must realize that this is only a game.
    Does this game really matter in the real world? Does it really matter if you get killed in the imaginary world of MW3 multiplayer?...I think not.

2. Do not care when somebody kills you: It's only working to make you a better player.

3. MW3 was made for entertainment....and that all it should do for you. Have fun while playing. The only emotion that should be getting usage is your happiness.

4. Do not rage quit.

5. Do not get mad at somebody elses tactics.

http://uk.gamespot.com/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3/forum/a-former-noobs-true-guide-on-how-to-play-mw3-61424573

Some sneaky tactics, but if you're getting raped feck it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

1238157980_scanners_-_head_explosion.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 18,968 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I'm still waiting on Mindset hint No.2 to kick in :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

^^Defensive type95 user, I know the type. Bores the hell out of me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Meatwad wrote: »
    Some sneaky tactics, but if you're getting raped feck it.

Not so much "sneaky" more like "lowest common denominator".

It makes me laugh when you see the menatlity of people using the most over powered primary and over powered secondary..."its only a game" or "its just for fun" "they are in game to be used", I'd say if IW included a frikin one hit kill gattling gun these people would use that too with the same mentality.

I dont blame these scrubs, they cant compete.... they NEED to use these broken guns to get kills. I blame IW for not effectivly patching these / incuding them in the first place.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

hightower1 wrote: »
    Not so much "sneaky" more like "lowest common denominator".

It makes me laugh when you see the menatlity of people using the most over powered primary and over powered secondary..."its only a game" or "its just for fun" "they are in game to be used", I'd say if IW included a frikin one hit kill gattling gun these people would use that too with the same mentality.

I dont blame these scrubs, they cant compete.... they NEED to use these broken guns to get kills. I blame IW for not effectivly patching these / incuding them in the first place.
    This is not aimed at you man, just the way of thinking of many COD players in general.

I honestly do not get this mentality from COD players??? You don't get the same levels of hate when you choose Barcelona in FIFA or Sagat in Steet Fighter 4. You might get a little ribbing for picking top characters/teams but not the level of aggro you get here.

The Type95 is the top gun and the FMG is the top secondary. So you're a noob if you use these? Maybe if you use them in every map regardless of their size, it might be an error but for the right maps, you'd be mad not to run with them.

This mentality of "I'm better than you because I refuse to use a certain gun" is hilarious tbh. So going 8-19 with an ACR is better than going 32-4 with a Type 95? No, it is not.

Anone going 8 -19 with an ACR should probably be playing FIFA anyway.:P

I agree though if it's in the game I don't have a major problem with people using it. Already said I didn't think the guns needed nerfing despite being a bit op - certainly not game breaking.

Glitching/cheating/lag switches on the other hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Only minute difference between ACR and T95 anyway.

Those tips are filthy tbh

AdamD wrote: »
    Only minute difference between ACR and T95 anyway.

Those tips are filthy tbh

Ok - let's look at the hints given...
    PHYSICAL TACTICS

1. Always have the FMG9 akimbo as your secondary: 8 times out of ten the FMG9's will win the close range engagement. Dropshotting with them makes sure you will almost NEVER lose an close range fight. Also, make sure you have these equipped when clearing out houses....like in carbon. Boring but true.

2. If you get shot first, drop immediately: If somebody shoots you first theres a good chance you're goind to see the kill cam. Dropping will throw their aim off for a second so you can get off your shots first.....this is the technique of dropshotting. fact! I try drop shotting if I'm quick enough. Don't see a problem with this.

3. Hip fire frequently: When your close to somebody make sure you're already firing while you're going to ADS. Legitimate again

4. The Type 95 red dot sight is your friend - Overpowered some may say but the amount of times I get killed by this weapon are negligable.

5. Equip silencers but don't equip assassin: If you're shooting you do not want to be seen on the radar because you will not be focused, but you should be good enough that if you're just walking around you can be alert enough to successfully engage anybody that finds you. Asking people "not" to use Assassin is considered "filthy"? :confused:

6. Always have the stalker perk equipped: see tip 12 - You're giving up sit-rep, dead silence and others. What's the problem with that?

7. Go to youtube and learn how to dropshot. See above

8. Do not run much, this leaves you vunerable - again- Fact and common sense

9. ADS around corners instead of rushing around corners. See 8 above

10. Disable controller vibration: It will help your aim and focus when your getting fired on. - I've already done this

11. The Silenced ACR is your friend. - Accurate weapon but weak, so balances out

12. When you aim strafe with the enemy instead of stopping: The enemy will have a harder time aiming at you. - Again, common sense

13. As soon as you see an enemy and you know you have a shot....do not hesitate in the slightest and just unload. (You can also use this tip when making love with ur gf....oh wait....this is a MW3 board...uhh nvm. lol ^_^) -

Its recommending using Fm9s, (I used the akimbo glocks in MW2 which were pretty much the same as far as I'm concerned)
    the Type 95 (Famas in MW2)
    and the ACR (same as MW2)

Its recommending strafing while firing and dropshotting.

Its also recommending NOT using Assassin?

Tbh mate, I think you're a WUM, but I'm not sure?!?

• Advertisement

No idea what a ****ing WUM is but the guy is telling people to not run, and to pre-aim corners.

O, and use akimbos. Yeah cool.

No idea what a ****ing WUM is but the guy is telling people to not run, and to pre-aim corners.

Wind up merchant.
    It's also a small town in Cameroon apparently but I assume he meant the frst one.

A WUM is a wind up merchant, as in saying things for reaction.

Someone else complained that people aren't afraid to die (because of support killsteaks) and therefore it diminishes the quality of the play. He's saying try not to die. He is not saying "camp" but rather don't be an idiot and leggit around a corner without sticking your head out first. It makes a shedload of sense.

At this rate, why not give out to people for using cover, or making sure their magazine is fully reloaded, or check your corners?

As for akimbos, yeah - its annoying dying in a one-on-one, but he's giving hints to people who need hints to be as good as almighty players like yourself.

If he had of advised people to lie down, with ADS at the door at all times, then he'd be worthy of your distain. That would be "filthy" tactics.

Frankly, I find there are plenty of things which I find annoying in this game, but his hints are not registering on my list to be honest...

everlast75 wrote: »
    A WUM is a wind up merchant, as in saying things for reaction.

Someone else complained that people aren't afraid to die (because of support killsteaks) and therefore it diminishes the quality of the play. He's saying try not to die. He is not saying "camp" but rather don't be an idiot and leggit around a corner without sticking your head out first. It makes a shedload of sense.

At this rate, why not give out to people for using cover, or making sure their magazine is fully reloaded, or check your corners?

As for akimbos, yeah - its annoying dying in a one-on-one, but he's giving hints to people who need hints to be as good as almighty players like yourself.

If he had of advised people to lie down, with ADS at the door at all times, then he'd be worthy of your distain. That would be "filthy" tactics.

Frankly, I find there are plenty of things which I find annoying in this game, but his hints are not registering on my list to be honest...
    When has my ability ever come into this? Seems like you're just looking for an argument tbh.

I dislike camping, does that make me a troll?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Spike2010

Camping in this game is brutal, It aint gonna change so we might aswell get use to it. Just played a couple of games there with the lads the last one a guy was sitting in the same place near enough the whole game with an ACR & Heartbeat Sensor. I can't stay on this game long at all too frustrating.

Seems like you dislike camping but actually don't know what it is!?

Camping is staying still! He never advocated that. That is simply my point.

If he advocated heartbeat sensors, claymores to protect your ass while you never took your sights off the door, then I'd be 100% behind you.

Anyhoo, tis the season - let's agree to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

If he advocated heartbeat sensors, claymores to protect your ass while you never took your sights off the door, then I'd be 100% behind you.

Or disagree to agree :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

:( was just gettin my popcorn :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

FutureGuy wrote: »
    The Type95 is the top gun and the FMG is the top secondary. So you're a noob if you use these? Maybe if you use them in every map regardless of their size, it might be an error but for the right maps, you'd be mad not to run with them. .

Its the fact that there is no fighting chance for those in the sights of ether gun. With the example you used (picking barcelona) , imagine if they could score from their own half nearly every time they had the ball??? I think you'd get a LOT of stick for using that team then - and thats the point, in fottie games wether you win or loose the enjoymnt is had in the tactics of getting yourself into a postion of scoring and in an FPS game the joy is in the tactics and ensuing firefights with over powered guns that kill with one squeeze of the trigger and while not being balanced in terms of severly reduced mobility or follow up shots there can be no firefight, no chance for one person to turn the engadgement or not and there in lays the issue - there is no fun to it.

Like wise if you used your exmaple to other game types like racing games you could compare it to a car with a 0-60 time of a second in a racewhere the other cars are all similar to each other in terms of balance but yet all overpowered by this one car that can lap them all. I certainly woulnt want to race against them and would definitly consider anyone choosing it a noob. Its the competition in games that we play and come back for but with such obviously over powerd guns there is no competing, they dominate over every other gun in game and like you said make them nearly always - the only choice. So what should we do, all use the same guns all the time? That would kill the serise and fun of it. COD has been likened to an elaborate game of rock paper scissors but the type95 or fmg has no effective achillies heel making it the anvil in our game of rock paper scissors...i.e... no fun.

Put it this way , if these guns were taken out of regular play and set up as special playlist only weapons , ... would you play that playlist??? I dont think so. You see type 95 users and FMG users love these guns becase they are a crutch, they rely on two things 1. the imbalance of these guns and 2. the want of others to use something else which then leaves them at a disadvantage. With every player using these guns in a playlist it negates nearly all of these adavntages and the lack of skill then becomes an issue again.

I respect players using unusual guns because they are going out of their comfort zone , not relying on broken weapons and upholding the rock paper scissor mechanic. They select guns that are not globally recognized as over powered and giving themselves a disadvantage in come way (reload, power, movement speed etc) in order to expand the gameplay. Type 95 users and fmg users have to opposite attitude which you can see all the time - kills at any means necessary. Notice how the same attitude is adopted by campers and noobtubes in mw2.

Like most things - the joy in COD is not the end result but in the struggle , what the fmg and type 95 take out of the equation is that... the struggle, the firefight, the tacticts. That chance to prove yourself against someone elses wits and intelligence. Without that all your doing is getting pointed and clicked, and in turn pointing and clicking on people. The balance should be that you should have to do more than just point and click.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be putting T95 and the FMGs on the same level. The FMGs beat everything up close without the need to aim. If you miss your first burst with the T95 a decent player will kill you, and you can't spray with it. ACR is only marginally worse anyways.

Advertisement