Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you think you only changed your attitude after you changed your behaviour?

• 12-06-2015 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭

What I mean is did you change your attitude to animals after you became vegetarian or vegan? I think it was Nick Cooney from mercy for animals that did some research on this (was trying to find it but can't source it right now) and concluded you only change your attitude after you change your behaviour. I'd tend to relate to this. Ok there has to be some level of empathy or whatever you want to call it there to begin with to make you change your behaviour at all, but when you do change your behaviour you tend to see animals in a different light, or do you? Do you relate?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

--LOS-- wrote: »
    What I mean is did you change your attitude to animals after you became vegetarian or vegan? I think it was Nick Cooney from mercy for animals that did some research on this (was trying to find it but can't source it right now) and concluded you only change your attitude after you change your behaviour. I'd tend to relate to this. Ok there has to be some level of empathy or whatever you want to call it there to begin with to make you change your behaviour at all, but when you do change your behaviour you tend to see animals in a different light, or do you? Do you relate?

I went vegetarian when I was 15 because of how I felt about animal rights. By the time I was 26 I had changed my mind and started eating meat again. My girlfriend still doesn't eat meat but I haven't heard her mention any issue regarding animal rights in many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Level 5 Vegan

Emm didn't really know anything about animal rights or even really where meat came from while I was vegetarian, just never thought about it. You could almost say I didn't have an attitude surrounding it. I just didn't eat meat so that's why I didn't eat meat and that's all I knew :p

I have a friend who's been vegan for about three years now and I remember talking to him and he was saying how he hates the V word coming up in discussion when he's about, eating out with others etc. and now he's totally the opposite, wears shirts that say vegan on them and basks in the looks he gets, vegan bumper sticker, sharing vegan food all day on Instagram, goes to loads of protests. So yeah I definitely notice people become more 'vegan' overtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭actua11

Very interesting point you've raised here :)

I would say that there has been a progressive change since going veggie. What I found interesting was not just in terms of animal rights or activism, but a total change in my relationship with them.

The best example of this I can think of is with things like spiders or other bees and bugs. I used to get a little creeped out by them but all that has gone away since I made the switch, as I've changed from seeing them less as 'things' and more as living creatures.

I guess it may have something to do with a cycle of becoming more surrounded by veggie books, media, groups and the general 'scene', therefore becoming more concerned and interested about animal well being. And, as I get more interested I'm motivated to read up more and become more involved, and so the cycle repeats itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I stopped eating meat long before the internet age, I was about 11 or 12 when I stopped eating beef or pork - I hated anything like that for a few years before that but it was obviously hard to stop eating that, as a child. I think I always had that connection between cows, pigs, lambs, dogs and the dead animal on the plate. I stopped eating chicken maybe a year later, I guess that poultry is a step removed from the aforementioned animals. I would have unknowingly consumed gelatine for a while after that, since there was literally zero information out there at the time.

So I suppose, to answer the question, I dunno :confused::P

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭NeutralHandle

No, not personally. I generally felt a bit guilty about eating animals, and hypocritical about any feelings of empathy towards them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement