Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

So as some of you may be aware I was restoring my C64 but I'm having a problem with my tape drive and/or CIA chip

In the meantime I had bought a manky dreamcast for 30 pounds on eBay and I've taken it apart, cleaned it and retrobrighted it.

It came up very well by using BBlonde peroxide (you can get it in boots) and a cheap UV light from Amazon (in a cardboard box with tinfoil).

Here's some before and after pics (click pic for full size):

IMG-20181226-132604.jpg IMG-20181226-115249.jpg IMG-20181230-185412.jpg IMG-20181230-185417.jpg IMG-20181230-185408.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,391 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

edit - feck, wrong thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭trout

Good people of Arcade & Retro forum ... I need your help & wisdom please.

I have a supergun, cabled up for PS/2 controllers, which I use to flute around with some fairly old jamma boards ... Tekken, Soul Edge, Pit Fighter. Old skool.

I'd like to move on and try to get a single joystick & 4 / 6 buttons setup instead; as I have a midi cabinet with cut outs for 1 player.

I see there's a huge variety of joystick & buttons kits, with a huge range of prices ... but I don't have the wisdom or experience to know what to go for.

Like, is a 100 euro kit really that much better than a 40 euro kit?

I'm guessing the kits I see on Amazon and mainstream sites can vary in quality ... I don't want to spend silly money on something spurious.

I'm looking for something responsive, robust and simple to fit.

I *think* I need the following
    • jamma+ harness / loom to connect the buttons & joystick to the supergun
    • joystick & fixing plate to fit to the midi cabinet cutout
    • a set of buttons & fixings, again to fit to the midi cabinet cutout
    • maybe some cable routing, ties etc.?

I don't want LED buttons or anything garish ... just plain ol' sturdy buttons.

If it helps, the short travel stick & buttons from arcade machines like R Type, UN Squadron are the ones I like. Short travel and a sturdy "feel" to the stick, and buttons you can pound on.

Any recommendations on what to get, where best to buy them?

I'd spend up to 100 euro, and prefer to get something shipped from Europe.

thanks, in advance!

Master of the Universe

What kind of joysticks do you like? A lot of the cheaper kits use generic Chinese sticks. If you're into good arcade sticks these can feel like crap. Tbh it's worth splashing out on your sticks/buttons and getting seimitsu or sanwa parts.

In the grand scheme of things they're not that pricey, last seimitsu stick I bought were about 25 each I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Seeing as it is already wired for Playstation controllers, why not a pair of the black and yellow Namco PS arcade sticks? They are pretty great tbh.
    SSONPSACCHORCON01_l.jpg

• Advertisement

The cabinet already has cutouts, so I was hoping to use a kit, and not an arcade stick, if that makes sense?

I'll take a look at Senwa stuff so ... from reading around, they seem pretty respectable?

Any local / UK suppliers people would recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

I use these guys for spares parts, very good selection of parts available.

https://www.arcadeworlduk.com/

I'm pretty sure you're using one of my superguns, if that's the case then wiring up new controls is fairly handy. The Player DB15 inputs use the 'standard' Neogeo pinout, so you wire up each control to the correct pin and use a common gnd (just make sure not to press any of the controls when you power up the supergun or it might think another type of controller is connected)

db15_laugh.PNG

Yeah ... one of your superguns, from 5 years ago :)

I don't suppose you still have the manual for that?

I'll take a look at that site ... thanks!

Acshully ... looking at that diagram, could I use the +5V for the LED type buttons?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

trout wrote: »
    Acshully ... looking at that diagram, could I use the +5V for the LED type buttons?

Yep, the +5V could be used to drive LEDs alright, you can get the manual from here

• Advertisement

I like the look of these

https://www.arcadeworlduk.com/products/Sanwa-JLF-TP-8S-SK-Ball-Top-Joystick.html

https://www.arcadeworlduk.com/products/sanwa-obsf-30rg-snap-in-arcade-button.html

Or maybe this one as a kit ...

https://www.arcadeworlduk.com/products/il-arcade-joystick-concave-buttons-arcade-controller-kit.html

I'm leaning towards the Sanwa stuff, based on their blurb about durability and "aggressive gameplay" for Street Fighter and the likes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I like the look of these

https://www.arcadeworlduk.com/products/Sanwa-JLF-TP-8S-SK-Ball-Top-Joystick.html

https://www.arcadeworlduk.com/products/sanwa-obsf-30rg-snap-in-arcade-button.html

Or maybe this one as a kit ...

https://www.arcadeworlduk.com/products/il-arcade-joystick-concave-buttons-arcade-controller-kit.html

I'm leaning towards the Sanwa stuff, based on their blurb about durability and "aggressive gameplay" for Street Fighter and the likes

+1 for arcadeworld.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The old Game Gear was in the living room the other day, must have been packed away somewhere. From what I remember it doesn't turn on.

What could I check to fix it/what parts might it need? Also what mods should be done to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,464 ✭✭✭Inviere

sugarman wrote: »
    Full cap kit, little over a fiver on eBay.

Usually easy enough to do. I've done a few though that had lost whole solder pads due to electrolytic fluid damage from bad caps. Then you've to find alternative sold points/run bypass wires etc.
    Theres really only 2 mods worth while doing, an LED backlight instead of the lamp.. which imo still looks the same, bit increases battery life considerably OR fit a new McWill LCD which are top notch.. but also around €100 and tricky enough to fit.

Don't bother with the LCD backlight mod, it can be a bit of a headache getting an even lightspread, and you tend to get spotlight effects on the screen. The replacement screen mod is the way to go.

Master of the Universe

Was it my Gamegear where the audio board had completely crumbled due to a leak? I remember there was some mad damage on it anyway. Still works a treat now. :)

You really were cap man there for a while, wheren't you? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,464 ✭✭✭Inviere

o1s1n wrote: »
    Was it my Gamegear where the audio board had completely crumbled due to a leak? I remember there was some mad damage on it anyway. Still works a treat now. :)

You really were cap man there for a while, wheren't you? :D

Coulda' been yours alright, required a trace bypass from memory! Those GameGear caps were bloody awful things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

sugarman wrote: »
    That turned out well, what UV light did you use and for how long?

Meant to do mine and few other bits and pieces last summer in the good weather but never got around to it :rolleyes:
    Sorry @sugarman - hadn't noticed your question till now !

I used this one from Amazon.
    Basically 2 half days (I don't like leaving it on overnight)

Every day is a school day

Today I learned that the cutouts on my cabinet are 24mm, and the buttons I ordered from Arcade World are, you guessed it ... 30mm.

So ... anyone need 8 x 30mm buttons? I'd send them back, but it's hardly worth the postage.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭Doge

Every day is a school day

Today I learned that the cutouts on my cabinet are 24mm, and the buttons I ordered from Arcade World are, you guessed it ... 30mm.

So ... anyone need 8 x 30mm buttons? I'd send them back, but it's hardly worth the postage.

:rolleyes:

If no one else wants them I'd be happy to take them. I did get some from BGOllie recently though so don't want to be selfish.

It was mostly switches so I could do with some buttons.

8 of these bad boys ... I needed 6, and thought 2 spares would be a good idea

https://www.arcadeworlduk.com/products/Sanwa-OBSF-30-Arcade-Button.html

Sanwa_OBSF_30_Red__77937.1437493237.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on

I paid by credit card, as part of a larger order ... and it's my own stupid fault for ordering the wrong size :)

• Advertisement

Someone else can have them if they like if you're still offering. I forgot that its strictly concave buttons im after for my cab.

I'll stick up a post in the marketplace so ...

I'll stick up a post in the marketplace so ...

Sorry for wasting your time. I have similar Sanwas in my icade core and they're very light on the fingers. Someone will be delighted with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭centa

I would like them if no one else is inline for them. I am building a new 8 button fightstick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭BGOllie

Was recently donated a CPS1 system (A+B boards) A board wasn't booting so it was uncertain that the custom was intact. Managed to get it back running (had a couple of bad sockets and a bad PAL) . Came up with missing red color but no graphic issue. Replace one IC and the board was running perfect after that :

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Good man, going to watch that one with interest. You are doing Gods work on those boards :D

well it's a lucky strike really. most ICs other than that custom are replaceable and easy to find really

53806375_10157119337233276_115166425601015808_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.xx&oh=511c68c14ed0d3cb9b867712abaf1784&oe=5D16F49A

Finished bringing this Kung Fu Master back to life. Had Issues on all 3 boards of the stack.
    Bottom board : board stack wasn't booting (fujitsu ls112 in the clock circuit wasn't driving the signal to the board) .
    Middle board: Sound issues, one of the ay 3-8910 was having trouble on one output and distorted the sounds. 1 ram was gone
    Top board : all 3 eproms were fried. One of the custom ICs on the top board (thanks caius for the custom replacement ) had floating outputs and 5 fujitsu ICs (two ls00, ls04 and two ls32) had failed .

last 3 boards all had fujitsu TTLs that had failed . they're notorious for dying in batches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Fixed a Naomi 2 board. It was just showing a black screen, no sound but lights were on.

One of the gpu fans was not working/spinning so replaced them both from a German supplier (not cheap) as they are special fans needing a speed pulse signal on a 3rd pin.

Removed supercap (no leaks found)

Installed a new universal bios.

Tweaked the voltages on the sun PSU. 3.3 and 5 were off by a large amount.

It still wasn't working at this point.

The problem turned out to be an issue with the speed/pulse pin for one of the GPU fans. There is a resistor on the back of the board labelled R527S and there was no continuity from this to the speed pulse pin on the small chip at the back of the fan. Once this was fixed up it started working again.

Also replaced the case fan and the sun PSU fan as the originals were loud and filthy.

476430.jpg

476431.jpg

Ordered a netdimm and baseball control panel to celebrate :D

Advertisement