Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Gonzo wrote: »
    tonights GFS is a definite downgrade on earlier, between the 18th and 23rd of January. We still get some cold, but appears to be nothing more than a cold zonal Atlantic cold front where winds back into the north for a short time, but the systems keep moving north-west to south-east. Looks cold rain/sleety at best with perhaps snow on high ground.

Let's see what tomorrow brings. I still reckon it will be final days of January/February before the blocking really gets going as is shown in the very long range models.

The parallel on the other hand shows brief snow potential this coming Wednesday into Thursday. -9 uppers.

gfs-1-132.png?18

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

esposito wrote: »
    This angers me greatly. Virgin media turning into the daily express and other cheap tabloids? Pathetic! Way too early to be talking about this. Any sniff they get of snow and they go to town on it.

No more than boards does! ;)

Wild night out here; snug and cosy in here. Wind howl and rain rhythm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

^^ Boo, never get anything good from the west at my location on the east coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

This mornings run.

Snow into the Northwest by Wednesday. Or heavy wintery showers. That low could slip a little further south?

25iw292.png

A brief mild spell or cool spell again up to Saturday before the onslaught of something better...….

14bi1zq.png

More heavy Snow showers coming in off the Atlantic in a very cold north west flow. Beefy snow showers.

23keqzs.png

29boj21.png

aele9c.png

A cold theme throughout the rest of the run.

2wghgxt.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

You posted the same chart three times in that post :P

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

sryanbruen wrote: »
    You posted the same chart three times in that post :P

Was out last night on the beer...…….:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Mortelaro wrote: »
    The direction of flow is north to south generally for the foreseeable with lows in the mix,some of which will slide,ergo engaging with the cold air feed,battle ground Ireland, what's not to like?

Glosea amongst others is showing the direction of flow from the northeast a lot of the time going forward, which is logical and ties in with all the anomaly charts,what's not to like about that?

There's not going to be uninterrupted cold,there will be milder interludes as lows interact a bit further north
    Land sakes you'd want some moderation
    Mother nature's looking out for you
    You don't want the entire human race killed off
    Lastly,will you enjoy the ride For heaven's sake
    :D

Patronising much?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I am beginning to believe.

For once I am totally and fully equipped and prepared for whatever weather hits.. Will need turf soon but my neighbour the ferryman will sell me more....with a spare gas bottle, and abundant food... although being coastal we get little snow they told me that in 2010 they had to shovel the snow out of the ferry...

This time I WILL build a snowman! No camera sadly,,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looks fairly messy from next Wednesday with cold and mild days. Wednesday and into Thursday looks cold, with perhaps a mix of rain, sleet and possibly wet snow in places.

Friday looks mild again with mild Atlantic south westerly's taking over briefly followed by more cold conditions from the north-west later on Saturday.

Ireland looks very knife-edge for the following 6 to 7 days, on the very edge of the colder plunges which would deliver wintry showers for much of the time and snow during the coldest of the plunges, Mild Atlantic air never looks too far away, just off our west and south-west coasts for much of the run. This is of course in FI and all it would take is a little shift and Ireland will either be comfortably within the colder zones or left out in the milder sectors.

There doesn't appear to be much blocking up to 26th of January, I would be much more confident if this blocking was showing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

16th January last year it was an interesting ride home that night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Just by way of a commentary
    I've said several times this month that FI is FI regardless of the strat
    Its still FI
    The last week of January starts Jan 24 which by my reckoning is 12 days away
    February even further
    I think it was joanna Donnelly what said a day 10 ECM chart ain't worth the crayons it's wrote with ,(hi Joanna ;))
    I agree
    You can imagine what I think of GFS FI,that hasn't changed either
    Day 12 is deep FI
    I've also given the opinion at the opening of the month that I'd expect increasingly colder solutions to start arriving in models and they are in response to the strat effect and other things
    All that is happening
    We've a decent handle on the next 5 days and a quarter handle on the 2 or 3 after that
    The only thing we can say beyond that is the likelihood of cold to very cold at times is very high and speculate
    AT Times
    There is a point worth noting on sliding Atlantic lows
    Their warm side clashing with colder air is likely to give very heavy rain somewhere
    At some point that could be snow somewhere
    You just don't know yet but do you know what,my Spidey senses are telling me the white stuff won't be shy in the coming 30 days plus when 'gravity' is dropping that air down from the north
    Which point from the north ?
    Well northwest certainly initially but there's every chance depending on the synoptic of the week that north,northeast and east will arrive too if you get me,so buckle down? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

• Registered Users Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭pad199207

Still very much on the fence of any significant cold for Ireland this month. Trend is ofcourse for a cooler end to the month, but significant cold under serious doubt.

Really need to see the upgrades in the short to medium term.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Holy cow. That would make Emma look like a gentle breeze.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM showing a large area of LP coming off Greenland at +240 hrs on the Oz with a big push of cold air out in front of it , will be interesting to see if it goes the same way as the GFS ,the 12Z coming out soon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

There is currently a great deal of uncertainty about what happens after next weekend.

The GFS Ensemble run up to January 27th for my hometown of Dunshaughlin in County Meath, shows general agreement of milder than average conditions lasting up to late Tuesday with very low amounts of rainfall.

For Wednesday the models show spikes in precipitation and a drop in overall temperature, but nothing terribly cold.

The models suggest temperatures returning back to normal values late Thursday and into Friday as well as early Saturday.

After that they mostly show a small to medium drop in temperature between 20th and 23rd of January, followed by great uncertainty after that.

From the 23rd to 27th of January the ensemble is showing wide variations in temperature outcomes, some colder outcomes but also several very mild outcomes that want to bring the mild Atlantic back.

The only thing that looks consistent from the middle of next week, is that unsettled conditions and precipitation will be dominant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

The GFS Para just produced an amazing run. Miles off in FI though.

gfsnh-0-384_muc0.png

tempresult_yuk2.gif

gfs-1-372_pyb3.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭highdef

The latest GFS(P) run is sheer amazement! If we got anywhere near what it's showing, we'd be buried for days, at least. Nice to look at though :P

tempresult_tjv2.gif

And apologies, I just realised I posted this in the wrong thread. Should've been in the FI thread....my bad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭pad199207

What?
    Only yesterday, we were all being invited over to your gaff for the start :D

@ Gonzo,Shur isn't that ALL FI
    Point here being,tiny nuances in weather we can't guess on make big differences :)

Did I say that? :D lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

highdef wrote: »
    The latest GFS(P) run is sheer amazement! If we got anywhere near what it's showing, we'd be buried for days, at least. Nice to look at though :P

tempresult_tjv2.gif

And apologies, I just realised I posted this in the wrong thread. Should've been in the FI thread....my bad!

30-40 cm for me, I'll take it, how much?

I am fully aware it's nonsense but nice to imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Pretty significant differences in the models at 96 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

This chart from the ECM shows how the UK can be in the freezer while Ireland misses out, incase people are getting very hyped about reports on netweather and the likes. So just be weary about the forecasts you hear for UK cold.

6045ACD9-E06D-4673-B455-02B2FBC045C0.png.ddd4d8515db9bf478b9d465285d55bec.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Cork Airport's top 10 dullest months on record (not just December):

1. Dec 1991; 17.9 hrs
    2. Dec 1977; 19.8 hrs
    3. Dec 1987; 20.5 hrs
    4. Feb 1985; 21.9 hrs
    5. Nov 1983; 23.9 hrs
    6. Jan 1992; 24.0 hrs
    7. Dec 2015; 24.3 hrs
    8. Nov 1968; 25.3 hrs
    9. Jan 1966; 26.5 hrs
    10. Jan 1968; 27.4 hrs

In the past 27 days (Dec 10th to Jan 4th), Cork Airport has recorded 16.2 hrs of sunshine (including 19 dull days and 14 consecutive dull days up to January 4th) which is just below that of December 1991 as shown above.

Data comes from Met Éireann.

I`m curious as to how much sunshine has been recorded at Cork Airport since last weekend. There have been a few sunny spells in my area (about 30 km from there) over the last 5 or 6 days so I assume there has been some there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

The direction of flow is north to south generally for the foreseeable with lows in the mix,some of which will slide,ergo engaging with the cold air feed,battle ground Ireland, what's not to like?

Glosea amongst others is showing the direction of flow from the northeast a lot of the time going forward, which is logical and ties in with all the anomaly charts,what's not to like about that?

There's not going to be uninterrupted cold,there will be milder interludes as lows interact a bit further north
    Land sakes you'd want some moderation
    Mother nature's looking out for you
    You don't want the entire human race killed off
    Lastly,will you enjoy the ride For heaven's sake :D

Wow, you don't half jump to conclusions. Who said I wasn't enjoying the ride? I was simply commenting on one chart (knowing well that one chart in FI does not a winter make) Booing one chart and cheering another is enjoying the ride as far as I'm concerned!

PS Incidentally the chart I was commenting on was edited out.

PPS How do you know I don't want the human race killed off?:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

ECM says no at day nine, ten, for whatever that's worth. Getting model weary at this stage waiting for 'trends' and agreement between them. I remain unconvinced and sceptical of any significant cold spell upcoming between now and the end of January. I can't rule out February, for cold snaps, I can offer nothing theoretical or scientific except the feeling that if the wind is in the west still by then, the daffodils will be making headway. We've seen zero snow this winter, and hardly any frost, it just smacks of being one of those forgettable seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭esposito

ECM says no at day nine, ten, for whatever that's worth. Getting model weary at this stage waiting for 'trends' and agreement between them. I remain unconvinced and sceptical of any significant cold spell upcoming between now and the end of January. I can't rule out February, for cold snaps, I can offer nothing theoretical or scientific except the feeling that if the wind is in the west still by then, the daffodils will be making headway. We've seen zero snow this winter, and hardly any frost, it just smacks of being one of those forgettable seasons.

Fully agree with you. Getting weary and sceptical myself. I just have this bad feeling that we’re going to be unlucky this winter. Even a nights frost seems to be hard to get. *Sad face*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

esposito wrote: »
    Fully agree with you. Getting weary and sceptical myself. I just have this bad feeling that we’re going to be unlucky this winter. Even a nights frost seems to be hard to get. *Sad face*

I don't recall any year where there was Snow on the beaches of both Athens and Bray in the same season.

Linky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

TBH you guys should have became wary of these charts back in the end of May and beginning of June when I can remember the possibility of snow showing not far out into FI.
    FI is beginning to look like getting to the end of a rainbow.

Advertisement