Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Just saw GDQ started, I'll probably check the YT when it's over but what I wanted to post about really was the Yetee have a really cool tees for it, like Pocky and Rocky and Bubble Bobble
    https://theyetee.com
    A_tanuki_640x640.jpg?v=1546039257

• Registered Users Posts: 8,943 ✭✭✭Doge

A new clip of Streets Of Rage 4 emerged a week ago.

I much prefer the night time scene with flahsing neon lights.
    They would probably have been better off making the Pine Pot sign look remastered though, it looks like they ripped the artwork straight from the original Streets of Rage.
    Maybe they're too worried about making it look to different to the original in case fans rip their heads off. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Rather disappointing that it still has that flash animation look to it :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    Rather disappointing that it still has that flash animation look to it :(

It's what they teach now unfortunately. Mobile games sell well, they have that look about them so people think that look is what people want.

Also much easier to rig a flash puppet rather than animate frame by frame.

There's some good flash animation but there's an awful lot of very lazy stuff getting into some massive shows. I love archer but it's got the laziest animation I've ever seen.

SOR 4 isn't the worst I've seen. But it's hardly Hollow Knight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

The original Manga Entertainment dub is hilariously bad with all the profanity. However! They commissioned a new heavy metal soundtrack for it which makes the show seem far more fast paced - actually a case of it suiting it more than the original soundtrack.

Full UK dub episodes are up on YouTube for anyone who fancies a look. Quality isn't the best as that version has never had a DVD release, still worth a look for the music.

Any of you dudes ever see Akira in a cinema with a decent sound setup? The soundtrack takes on a whole life of its own, it's actually one of the highlights of the film.

Umm, I have Cyber City OEDO as a DVD. Wonder if it was a VHS rip by a die-hard fan as its has 3 audio tracks + subtitles;
    - Japanese with original music
    - English with rockin' music
    - English with original music

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's what they teach now unfortunately. Mobile games sell well, they have that look about them so people think that look is what people want.

Also much easier to rig a flash puppet rather than animate frame by frame.

There's some good flash animation but there's an awful lot of very lazy stuff getting into some massive shows. I love archer but it's got the laziest animation I've ever seen.

SOR 4 isn't the worst I've seen. But it's hardly Hollow Knight.

Archer is literally the pinnacle of that flash style look that I absolutely hate. It just reminds me of Newgrounds 20 years ago. Can't take it seriously.
    KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Umm, I have Cyber City OEDO as a DVD. Wonder if it was a VHS rip by a die-hard fan as its has 3 audio tracks + subtitles;
    - Japanese with original music
    - English with rockin' music
    - English with original music

No way! I'll have to look into that. Would love to rewatch it again without VHS interference lines going through the picture :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Archer is literally the pinnacle of that flash style look that I absolutely hate. It just reminds me of Newgrounds 20 years ago. Can't take it seriously.

Messed up a job interview because of flash animation.

The animators in the game dev studio were telling me how they had to create massive 200 frame animation sheets for each of the characters.

I asked if the animations are in flash why aren't they just importing them into the game code as its all just action script.

Cue main coder trying to make me look like an amateur for the next 45 minutes as he had been found to be a hack :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Is ten years old retro now?
    Because that's when this pic was posted!

uC5HYgt

You'll need to edit that post for the full pantry effect.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

a3navBu_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
    I don't even remember that, that's unreal! :pac:

Master of the Universe

Haha! I completely forgot that existed!

If it were created now, the main tower would be constructed from PVMs.

Master of the Universe

'Why, in in an age of Dead Cells, Shovel Knight and Hyper Light Drifter, did he take a massively nostalgic (and great!) 2D pixel franchise with already gorgeous 2D animation and art and make it look like something made in Adobe Flash over a weekend?'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

uC5HYgt
    If you go by Retronauts rules, it is.

Master of the Universe

Can anyone name a film from 2009 without googling it? I couldn't. :eek:

Not that none were released that year (!) I just have zero frame of reference to 2009 being a year.

Can anyone name a film from 2009 without googling it? I couldn't. :eek:

Not that none were released that year (!) I just have zero frame of reference to 2009 being a year.
    First try was Simpsons movie, 2007
    Then Mirrors, 2008
    Deathly Hallows – Part 1, 2010
    Puss in Boots, 2011
    And then I got it - Up was in 2009

That was fun

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Christ that pic is 10 years old?? :(

Wasn't there another one showing off his gold wallpaper? :pac:

I'm guessing the picture of retr0 dressed up as a schoolgirl is even older then?

Dear lord.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

2009, what a time to be alive, even if the year didn’t exist according to o1s1n!

On a side note, is the Wii 100% compatible with all GameCube games and accessories like the GBA link cable? Obviously minus the gameboy player and other things that plug into the bottom.

2009, what a time to be alive, even if the year didn’t exist according to o1s1n!

On a side note, is the Wii 100% compatible with all GameCube games and accessories like the GBA link cable? Obviously minus the gameboy player and other things that plug into the bottom.
    I dunno did I need something downloaded to play US GC games but it's been years since I had it on. I'm sure someone else knows better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

According to this the Wii with the GC ports is good to go
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GameCube_%E2%80%93_Game_Boy_Advance_link_cable
    The cable is compatible with the GameCube and the original Wii on the console side, and the Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Advance SP, Game Boy Player, and e-Reader on the portable side.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I dunno did I need something downloaded to play US GC games but it's been years since I had it on. I'm sure someone else knows better.

I’ve a Japanese Wii and GC so looking to just have the Wii instead of both for my Japanese games and the Wii can be easily modded too
    According to this the Wii with the GC ports is good to go
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GameCube_%E2%80%93_Game_Boy_Advance_link_cable

Perfect, cheers! Looks like there’s no issues

Been a long time since I messed around with my wii but I think you can use Gecko to run different region GC games.

Or just softmod a Wii.
    But I've a gecko somewhere myself, don't think I've ever used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Some NeoGeo land in Japan, seems cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

Or just softmod a Wii.
    But I've a gecko somewhere myself, don't think I've ever used it.

Yeah just soft mod it, no need for anything else.

Master of the Universe

Some NeoGeo land in Japan, seems cool.

So much tat! Got excited when I saw the AES style game boxes, only to see they were full of more tshirts.

They should at very least had a display cabinet with an AES console and a NGP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

So much tat! Got excited when I saw the AES style game boxes, only to see they were full of more tshirts.

They should at very least had a display cabinet with an AES console and a NGP.

Agreed, it was more a merchandise shop.

So I just tried to get into the George but the hardcore lesbian bouncer denied me. Like excuse me ma’am but who are you to deny me the D?! Just because It’s not your bag doesn’t mean you have to be salty to the male homos.

This has been a drunk Atavan post. Stay sexy y’all. Xoxo.

• Advertisement

Also FYI, Ireland is ****e, come back to Canada with me. We can all rent a gaff and have an amazing time. I won’t even get mad if you have a big game collection.

Advertisement