Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NES clone consoles ?

• 04-01-2019 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

What is a recommended clone NES console these days? I have original cartridges I would like to use. I have a NES mini modded etc and that fine but I want a system I can use my original 20 odd games carts on. I was using a NASA NES clone about 10 years ago which was a clone from the mid 90's and it worked great until I stupidly gave it away for some reason.

Who knows their clones here ?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There's some well made ones out there
    Here's Retrobit's one, supposed to be decent, but just Google a review and you'll get a YouTube video with its pros and cons.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0759CZC1V/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_FaimCbN0PEBQ2

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

The Analogue NT mini would seem to have gotten a lot of favourable write-ups other than to note it's really not cheap (US$449) by comparison to other offerings given that it's not using a software emulator, and instead is using FPGA* at a hardware level.

* Field Programmable Gate Array

Edit: and it currently shows as out-of-stock on their website; looks like they're not sure when they'll get around to doing another run according to this press release from October 2018. So if you want it *now* you'll need to go off to ebay or the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    There's some well made ones out there
    Here's Retrobit's one, supposed to be decent, but just Google a review and you'll get a YouTube video with its pros and cons.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0759CZC1V/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_FaimCbN0PEBQ2

I went ahead and bought this... You cant go wrong for £35 if it works, if it's abit hairy then so be it. I'm sure I'll have some fun out of it :). Thanks for the suggestion!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Nice thing is you can use original NES controllers with it.
    It doesn't do save states or any other fancy stuff, but it will display your NES games on a big screen.
    I might suggest getting one of these
    https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/k3UhIJe

It's an incredibly good multicart, for very little money, as long as you are happy to wait for a month or so for it to arrive!

Advertisement