Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone Know of Any Good Sega Mega Drive Clones?

• 17-12-2018 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭

I originally said I'd wait on the official "classic" system next year but, in the meantime, is there anything I could get now that isn't horrible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭Inviere

Sega Megadrive II isn't bad.....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

NES & SNES Classics can both be modded to play Megadrive stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Can you not just buy an actual mega drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Can you not just buy an actual mega drive?

I have a Mega Drive (4 to be exact) but I want one that has an HDMI output.

There's one coming out called the Mega SG. I can hold off if I can't find a decent one between now and its release

• Registered Users Posts: 14,430 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Best to wait until the Mega SG as using a decent OSSC/cable setup and going the RGB bypass method is probably the only 'top drawer' way of getting the Megadrive on modern screens without the usual compromises and even then, it's not perfect.
    Lot of trouble to go to (only bothered doing the bypass on one of mine), but almost all of the clones are nasty TBH, and if the Mega SG approaches the level of the Super NT it'd be well worth waiting for.

• Advertisement

Now that I think of it, the mister fpga plays Megadrive stuff.

Now that I think of it, the mister fpga plays Megadrive stuff.

Tempting, but it's not very aesthetically pleasing - an ugly bastard, if you will :pac:

Tempting, but it's not very aesthetically pleasing - an ugly bastard, if you will :pac:

Ugly alright but with a growing list of cores it just gets better and better :D

McDermotX wrote: »
    Best to wait until the Mega SG as using a decent OSSC/cable setup and going the RGB bypass method is probably the only 'top drawer' way of getting the Megadrive on modern screens without the usual compromises and even then, it's not perfect.
    Lot of trouble to go to (only bothered doing the bypass on one of mine), but almost all of the clones are nasty TBH, and if the Mega SG approaches the level of the Super NT it'd be well worth waiting for.

I might hold out.

(Ahhhh look at that, my 2,000th post :D:D:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

MegaRetroN? Cheaper than the Retron5 and does Mega Drive and Genesis outputting to HDMI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

sugarman is spot on, that 'Sega' case has everything to get you started, including a proper, 'soft reset/soft off' button for the Pi, to allow it to shutdown properly and not corrupt the OS on the MicroSD.

If you have some original Sega controllers (SJ-6000 only) lying around and want to convert them to wireless (Bluetooth), 8bitDo sell a mod kit to do just that.

https://shop.8bitdo.com/products/mod-kit-for-md-controller

Here's ETA Prime's YouTube review of the Mega Pi case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

I'd go for real mega drive 1 and just buy one of these which has decent picture quality.

Could use it for other scart based systems also:

Ex-Pro AV-Pro Scart and HDMI Converter to HDMI Output with Upscaler https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ABOB1NU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_SVWgCbTCC8H98

No scanlines though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I've a megadrive 1 case (dead board) with a raspberry pi inside and usb ports /av/power and audio hooked up if you ever fancy a trade for something.

Advertisement