Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

littlewoods.ie = RIP OFF ARTISTS!!!!!!

• 29-07-2009 12:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭

Hi all

i have been a customer of littlewoods for about a year- i have spent a lot of money with them.

A month ago i ordered an item which came to me shabby and broken(it was a chain) This was not from delivery as was sent to be by courier so it had obviously been packaged broken. I went mad. i contacted them and told them i was returning the item, and to close my account that i was never dealing with them again. i paid over 100euro for that item and was a birthday gift for my sister and they send it to me broken.

Now a month later after countless emails they "claim" they never recieved the item (however i sent it back by reg post and have tracked the item and it HAS arrived at the address i sent it to(the return label they sent me)

Then they claim that they cant send me back my money for the item as they dont do that and will credit to my acc(which is now closed) I threatned them with the small claims court and then they said they will send a cheque but would take a week to process. That was 2 weeks ago and ive gotten nothing.

ive emailed and called them and they are NOW saying they need 21 days from my call to process it

where can i go from here because im not taking their crap any longer?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 103 Verified rep MovieExtras.ie: Derek

fill in the small claims form, it costs about €6. You have a case, so they will probably settle very quickly.

I had a prob for seven months with a Dell laptop which needed to be repaired three times, I finally looked for my money back. Received letters, emails and phone calls from them saying that they would replace it, but would NOT refund me as they only refund if you have an issue 14 days after purchase!

Sent in the form from the Small Claims Court, hey presto, within two weeks received a very apologetic letter and details of how they will refund me!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I feel your pain http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055610887, they're a joke. My mams been a customer since day one, when Littlewoods took over Family Album and even before that she was a customer to Family Album for years.

First off - I take it you've talked to the highest person available through the phone? If not get onto them, I've found that the person who answer the customer service do everything for you not to talk to the manager, etc...

Second - Report it http://www.consumerassociation.ie/rights_complain.html

Third - Send a letter of complaint to the company itself

Fourth - Whatever expenses you've had postage, etc... photocopy and post to Littlewoods Ireland, Cape House, Westend Office Park, Blanchardstown, Dublin 15.

That 21 days process is muck they're using on you, didn't happen to me. Best of luck btw and keep us updated, once my case is settled I personally won't ever deal with them again and will urge my mam (who bought my watch *see my link* as a Christmas pressie for me last year) to close the account, and well they'll be losing plenty of profit from my household.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭discostick12

I had so many problems with Littlewoods in the space of a year!
    Everything I order out of there is either late on delievery (I was left waiting a month on one thing), stuff been broken on delievery, and charging me too much. I decided I had enough and closed my account.

You should defo take them to the small claims court and make an example out of them it might teach them how to treat their costumers better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I threatned them with the small claims court
    where can i go from here because im not taking their crap any longer?

You already know what to do, mate. Hope you get your refund, dude.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

If you want to avoid the SCC, you could print off a all your email communications with them, send it with a short letter telling them to return your money immediately, by registered post and addressed to the complaints department (if they have one). Be cheeky, charge them an administration fee for the time you've wasted on it. Mention Joe Duffy, NCA, etc too. Give them a week to respond, and then go SCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,897 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

I went mad. i contacted them and told them i was returning the item, and to close my account that i was never dealing with them again.

Considering you were a customer of theirs for a year without any problems (that you mention in your post) I think you grossly overreacted to the situation.

Littlewoods are nothing more than a distribution company and the chain probably came from the supplier in that condition.

I think I'm right in saying that they have the option of the 3 "R"'s in this case (replace, repair or refund) but that's for them to decide and not you to demand.

To go "mad" and close your account over something so trivial is way over the top.

And talk about a misleading thread title.....how exactly does, what you perceive, as bad customer service equal a "rip off"?

Catalogue companies may very well be a rip off, but not for the reasons you have stated.

keefg wrote: »
    I think I'm right in saying that they have the option of the 3 "R"'s in this case (replace, repair or refund) but that's for them to decide and not you to demand.

No, it's for them to offer, and the customer to accept, they can't force any one option in particular on the customer. From what I read, they didn't offer any of them anyway, they offered to credit her account, which is not the same thing, and the account was closed anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭buzzymam

to go "mad" and close your account over something so trivial is way over the top.

I disagree with you on this. They have shown crappy customer service, distribute faulty goods and respond with i;m sorry total bs on the 21 days front.

I was a littlewoods customer for years too until a few months back. Ordered a dress to wear at a wedding i was attending, order was accepted and to my knowledge was being processed, the dress never arrived. When i queried, i was told there was a credit issue on my account - there was not and they acknowledged as much too after the most minimal looking into it. To accept an order, never process it and not have the decency to flick the customer an e mail saying the order was not progressing is in todays retail market unforgivable. I closed my account too, plenty of other retailers i can pay my hard earned money too and who might actually treat their customers with some respect coz littlewoods sure a heck dont. I will never use them again and take every opportunity i come across to warn others off them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭MILF

I find Littlewoods fairly useless to be honest. I ordered a few bits out of it before as they say you can order to try on and if you dont like it, send it back.
    Little did I know that it costs YOU money to send the stuff back!! They say on their tv ads that its free to send your stuff you dont want back but that's the UK policy. I sent back a pair of jeans and a top and it cost me €7.50 to send them back. I was disgusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

To give you an idea of how bad their customer service is:

Almost 5 years ago my mother passed away. She had been a loyal customer of Family Album (now Littlewoods), spending thousands over the years with them. I took it upon myself to call up all the relevant companies to sort out any remaining debts and to close accounts in her name.

This included:

Mobile Phone
    Bank accounts
    Various other accounts of mail order companies and the like.

All companies I called, were deeply sympathetic to my loss and wanted to express their sympathy to the rest of my family too. All in all, considering the circumstances, each company was a pleasure to deal with and offered no trouble to close down accounts.

THEN came the turn of Littlewoods (I think they took over just before the time I had to call). I called up and asked for the Accounts department which was fine, I was connected immediately. After explaining the situation, and requesting the account be closed as I had paid the few euro in arrears I was expecting that to be that. No. They had the gaul to ask for a copy of my Mother's Death Certificate to prove that she was dead, even though no money was owing. I stammered and asked the "lady" to repeat herself as I thought I must have misheard. She repeated that it was company policy and that it was required to close an account. I couldn't believe it. I ended up in tears that someone (a company) could be so heartless. I'm not sure of my exact response but it wasn't pleasant, iterating that if I recieved any more mail from them there would be trouble.

How, I ask you, can any company work like that? Baring in mind that I was able to close multiple other accounts with no need for any proof of death...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Soundman wrote: »
    THEN came the turn of Littlewoods (I think they took over just before the time I had to call). I called up and asked for the Accounts department which was fine, I was connected immediately. After explaining the situation, and requesting the account be closed as I had paid the few euro in arrears I was expecting that to be that. No. They had the gaul to ask for a copy of my Mother's Death Certificate to prove that she was dead, even though no money was owing. I stammered and asked the "lady" to repeat herself as I thought I must have misheard. She repeated that it was company policy and that it was required to close an account. I couldn't believe it. I ended up in tears that someone (a company) could be so heartless. I'm not sure of my exact response but it wasn't pleasant, iterating that if I recieved any more mail from them there would be trouble.

How, I ask you, can any company work like that? Baring in mind that I was able to close multiple other accounts with no need for any proof of death...

I actually don't think that asking for a death cert was unreasonable. Without proof that someone is deceased, what basis is there for a company to close an account? Otherwise I could ring Vodafone etc and get accounts closed just for the hell of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Surely the utility and phone companies would have also asked for a death certificate?

Considering you were just trying to close the Littlewoods account (which had no money owing) it does seem a bit much to ask for a death cert.

Dudara - to ring up and close someones account you'd need their name, address, phone number, DOB and their account number. I doubt it's a regular occurance for people's accounts to be closed maliciously.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

eth0_ wrote: »
    Dudara - to ring up and close someones account you'd need their name, address, phone number, DOB and their account number. I doubt it's a regular occurance for people's accounts to be closed maliciously.

It's probably not a regular occurence, but imagine a family feud or bad breakup where such information is easily available between parties. Closing an account could easily be done. Asking for a birth cert ensures that the request is legit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 cokemon

Hi,

I know these posts are a little old now but I was wondering if any of you had your littlewoods queries fixed in the end?

I've due a refund from Littlewoods for over 6 months now - it's constant - we sent a cheque, we're refunding it to your credit card etc... none of which they actually do. All they've done is sent numerous credit notes for their site and I have no plan to ever spend money with them again. Whenever I call (which has been many, many times) it's the same story of "it'll be re-issued straight away" etc...

Apart from constantly calling them what else are my options, does anyone know, regards getting my refund back from them?

Thanks

Small Claims Court. It will cost €15, but that should do it.

Advertisement