Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards golf society - Thurles GC June 15th 11.00a.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

benny79 wrote: »
    Yes.. thats why its longest drive. Spice it up a bit ;)

Seems a bit crazy that early in a round though? I know its a society outing, but if I was standing on that same hole & it was the 16th, with not much of score going, I'd let rip at that, but I'd rather not dump a ball in the water on the 4th hole & potentially having to chase to get back a score early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭paulos53

Definitely makes the LD more interesting

Still my money will be on a 5 iron off the tee to win it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭benny79

Seems a bit crazy that early in a round though? I know its a society outing, but if I was standing on that same hole & it was the 16th, with not much of score going, I'd let rip at that, but I'd rather not dump a ball in the water on the 4th hole & potentially having to chase to get back a score early on.

Dont go for it then :D ahem... bottler...

Its to give the not so big hitters a chance.

benny79 wrote: »
    Dont go for it then :D ahem... bottler...

:D

I'll happily take that title...if I pick up a prize elsewhere on the day

Bottler, as well as just not being a long enough driver to take it on with any confidence.

Looks to be about a 200yrd carry from the Red Tee Box, so I'll stick my money on Poppy & OffalyMedic (no pressure guys :cool:)

:D

I'll happily take that title...if I pick up a prize elsewhere on the day

Bottler, as well as just not being a long enough driver to take it on with any confidence.

Looks to be about a 200yrd carry from the Red Tee Box, so I'll stick my money on Poppy & OffalyMedic (no pressure guys :cool:)

I'll stick my money on someone hitting a iron off the Tee and being short of the water on the fairway ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭a post punk

I only hit my driver 210 lads so I’ll take it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

I only hit my driver 210 lads so I’ll take it :)

Will be keeping a close eye on you so

Results from today

1st - Office Medic 37pts

2nd - Brian Rossiter 37pts

3rd - Slave1 36pts

NP - Macker1

LD - Pakman

2's

Macker1 x2

Asmo1

Hope you all enjoyed the day.

See you all at the next outing Castleknock Golf Club on 20th July.

Regards

Benny79

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Offaly

Will do a better post later but delighted to get my first boards win today in thurles. Great course, lovely weather and good company could go wrong!

Won't make castleknock as I have a camogie match in Kerry but hope to see everyone again in August

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Offaly

Will do a better post later but delighted to get my first boards win today in thurles. Great course, lovely weather and good company could go wrong!

Won't make castleknock as I have a camogie match in
    Kerry but hope to see everyone again in August

Well done, you kept it together really well. The good holes were really good and the ones you got out of shape (not many) you ground out a score. Solid golf

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Played Coollattin on Thursday and couldn't get onto a fairway off the tee, irons spaying everywhere and short putts 50/50 so had zero expectations.
    Super weather and company with Kilth and Break80 and the funny game that is golf turned around.
    Still prefer the front 9 to the - relatively- plain back 9.
    Thanks again to those organising and hopefully should be okay for Castleknock but will likely miss Carlow...

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭a post punk

Congratulations to Offaly medic for a first win, well deserved for a regular boardsie;)
    Thanks to princess poppy and os_head and captain Benny for the round yesterday. I think poppy had a very steady day just to scratch the last , os _head will see his handicap tumble I’m sure over the summer as he has a great game only for a few errant shots. He hit a few great shots out of the bunkers to tap in putting distance.
    My own day wasn’t all that bad and a big improvement on the last 2 outings. Unfortunately I scratched the first and 3rd which killed my chances of scoring in the 30’s and 1 other hole aswell the 15th I think!
    See ye all in Carlow as I won’t make the next outing.
    PP

Just to reiterate the congratulations to OffalyMedic. She's come close on a number of occasions, so great to see her close one out!

Had an OK round myself, 32 points. 19 out, with a scratch on the nearest he pin hole, 13 back, with a run of too many 1 pointers. Had a mini-dose of the shanks for the 2nd & 3rd holes (well timed when a price was available on the hole, though I don't think I'd have gotten inside Macker's effort too easily)

Thurles was a lovely course. Hadnt played it before. There are some beautiful holes that are really nicely laid out. One crazy green, on the par 3 5th might be my only complaint, though that might be more down to pin position than the actual green.

Had the pleasure of Rainbow Warrior & NewInDublin for company. Two absolute gents. As rainbow said on the 17th...are we here already, time flies in good company!

NewInDublin didn't have his best day. Has serious power & hit some cracking drives (unfortunately a couple were 2nd drives :( ). Also plays some really nice chips that have some serious spin which I wish I could hit. Struggled with the irons & putter, which you cant get away with in Thurles.

Rainbow Warrior played his game down on the first tee box, way more than he should. Hes a man on the way down & I can see why. Was very steady off the tee & found a lot of fairways, and also played a few lovely little bump'n'runs around the green. Was unlucky not to hole a couple of them.

All in all, a great day out again. Wont make Castleknock as I'm away, but looking forward to Carlow, which was a cracker from memories of the last boards outing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

Offaly

Won't make castleknock as I have a camogie match in Kerry but hope to see everyone again in August

Great win and well deserved. First time playing together but the way you hit the ball I'm betting there's more coming. Sure next time I'm drawn against you I might as well go home :p

Course was another great choice and happy to get a respectable score myself to make up for a few stinkers. Good company makes it enjoyable regardless even if Golfgraffix had to shoot off early.

Getting the longest drive with my safe lay-up was the highlight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Rainbow Warrior

It's funny when you recap the day as you look back at your game and of course wish you hadn't done this shot or hadn't done that shot and maybe have got a better score. Then you come up with the positives of how nice the weather was and the most important thing in my book the people you meet. It really was great pleasure to walk around this excellent course with Emmet (spacecoyote) and Jobe (NewInDublin) absolute top class guys!
    I like spacecoyote couldn't even get over the water on the nearest the pin hole but at least we laughed (or were we crying I can't remember now) about it.
    Well done OffalyMedic for the win and well done to my travelling companion Pakman for the longest drive and also for driving to/from Thurles. Thanks Benny as well for the hard work you put in to getting to day sorted out including, as seems the norm now, the weather.
    Can you tell me your secret?
    See you all in Castleknock.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

I played with spacecoyote (Emmit) and Rainbow Warrior (Julian). Excellent company, could not have asked for a better group.

My game never really came together. A cracking drive would be followed by a heavy iron shot, etc, etc. Ended up with 22, a very poor showing given I have been playing regularly and generally in the low 30s. Ah well, the weather was grand and even if my golf was not I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The chicken burger after the round was also very tasty, but so big I thought I might doze off on my drive home. Should have got a coffee before leaving!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,820 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Official results from Thurles
    Well done all, raging I couldn't make it, but no excuse for me next month :D

482997.jpg

Advertisement