Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting Dewalt Batteries in the freezer.

• 17-08-2010 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭

Hi has anyone on here any experience in putting Dewalt batteries in the freezer to restore the cells when the battery wont hold it's charge for long? I have an 18v battery that wont charge completly like it used to and only will drive a few screws before you have to charge it again.

I have hear that putting it in the freezer for 24 hours and then letting it thaw naturally for a further 24 hours will help restore the cells in the battery.

Is this an old wifes tale or does it actually work? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Certainley heard of it but never tried it.If your battery is that far gone give it a go,its fecked anyway!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

The battery is in the freezer now! Hope it works.
    Has anyone used the nano batteries as replacements instead of the nicad batteries?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭jack of all

That nano battery technology is new to me, sounds promising. If the freezer doesn't work you could try disassembling the old battery and replacing the individual cells with new cells from someone like eurobatteries. A little tedious and probably require some soldering work but it might make a relatively cheap job.

O right that sounds like a good idea. Have you ever seen this done before?

I did it a few years ago, with a battery pack for a rechargeable mini-vacuum. Hardest part was opening the battery pack without making s***e of the case! It's not particularly difficult but only really worth it if doing so is significantly cheaper than buying a new battery altogether.

• Advertisement

Grand. Il try the battery tomorrow evening after its charged and report back. Where did u buy the new cells?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭saltandpepper10

The battery is in the freezer now! Hope it works.
    Has anyone used the nano batteries as replacements instead of the nicad batteries?
    i bought two nano batt last year off english website [on special offer cant remember price still big money]anyways discovered they dont fit any of my chargers which i am kicking out of my way,had to buy another charger for 100 sterling,too answer your ?very good batteries but any 2.6 batt are also nearly as good

do they fit any dewalt drills?im sure they could be bought cheap enough on ebay. Thats were I bought nearly all my dewalt tools from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭saltandpepper10

do they fit any dewalt drills?im sure they could be bought cheap enough on ebay. Thats were I bought nearly all my dewalt tools from.
    they fit all 18 volt cordless tools.i find it much cheaper to buy a tool with batteries supplied ie jigsaw 3 batt if on offer,by the way did freezing work

Grand. Il try the battery tomorrow evening after its charged and report back. Where did u buy the new cells?

I bought some loose cells from this crowd:

http://shop.eurobatteries.com/batteries-nicd-nimh-lion-c-25_67.html

Obviously it's important to check voltage, A/h, physical dimensions etc....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

I havent got around to trying this myself but a plumber told me that what he does is connect the dud battery to a know good fully charged battery for a few seconds to shock the memory on damaged cells into life.
    He told me it works. Works better if you are using a new battery with a higher voltage. Say connecting a 18v good battery to a damaged 12v battery + to + - to - for a few seconds.

You could try this.

I wonder what would be the chances of damaging the good battery by doing that? I would have to wreck a good battery by accident if something went wrong.
    Its a good idea though

I wonder what would be the chances of damaging the good battery by doing that? I would have to wreck a good battery by accident if something went wrong.
    Its a good idea though

Would it not be similar to jumping a flat car battery from another car battery? Still, those cordless batteries are so expensive you would be understandably a little apprehensive!

well guys battery seems to last a tiny bit longer but its only minute. The battery just doesnt appear to deliver the same power as it used to!

Advertisement