Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changing tax class for 30yo vehicle

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Thanks all. It's at least worth a try to get the printouts from GTR registry and any other VIN look up sites I can find, and send this off with the RF111 form when the time comes. Worst case scenario, I have to wait another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

kdevitt wrote: »
    If you, or anyone else, would rather not apply based on manufacturing date then that's up to you. If I had a car on €1800 a year road tax and could switch to around €50 quid a year I'd want to be doing it as soon as possible - especially when the cost of doing so is next to zero (I can't remember what a stamp costs?)

Of course. And I would be the first to print out that Tipperary county council website's statement if it was my car and chance my arm :p

Ireland is probably the only EU country left where one can easily "convince" government officials of one's version of the truth :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭kdevitt

unkel wrote: »
    Of course. And I would be the first to print out that Tipperary county council website's statement if it was my car and chance my arm :p

Ireland is probably the only EU country left where one can easily "convince" government officials of one's version of the truth :pac:

Yes, totally chancing ones arm - perhaps if the Tipp Coco site is down you could print it from Wicklow CoCo's site
    Vintage & Veteran Vehicles
    A vehicle is classed as a vintage/veteran once it is 30 years old from the date of manufacture.

... or Monaghans
    Vintage Classification:
    Any vehicle body type 30 years old from date of manufacture qualifies as vintage on which a concessionary rate of motor tax can apply.

...or Louths
    Taxation of Vintage & Veteran Vehicle
    A vehicle is classed as a vintage/veteran once its 30 years old from date of manufacture and a concessionary rate of motor tax applies.

...or maybe Sligo
    A vehicle is classed as a vintage/veteran once it is 30 years old from date of manufacture and a concessionary rate of motor tax then applies

...Galways would probably work too -
    VINTAGE / VETERAN VEHICLES:

A vehicle is classed as vintage / veteran once it is 30 years old from the year of manufacture.

Then if they get arsey and point out that the VRT35 form states date of registration for ZV plates, you could go for the ultimate 'chancing your arm' approach and direct them to the actual section from SI 357-1991 which allows for ZV plates on cars from 30 years of age (manufacturing) and which doesn't mention registration date at all.
    (ii) the applicant for a licence satisfies the licensing authority that the vehicle was constructed more than 30 years prior to the commencement of the period in respect of which the licence is sought,

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭turbocab

turbocab wrote: »
    thanks for that , my 944 turbo turns 30 next year first reg date is aug 4th, all I have to do iis find manufacture date,cheers

So ve got a certificate of authenticity from porsche,It says model year is 1990,Production completion date is 4/5/90. so hopefully ican change to vintage now ,so i just send photo copy of this cert plus registration document to dublin city counil office tomorrow ,Is there any fee for this lads cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

So ve got a certificate of authenticity from porsche,It says model year is 1990,Production completion date is 4/5/90. so hopefully ican change to vintage now ,so i just send photo copy of this cert plus registration document to dublin city counil office tomorrow ,Is there any fee for this lads cheers.

No fee outside of the €56.00 you're gonna pay to them for the annual chape tax. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

I’m in a bit of a pickle, my cars date of manufacture is January 1991, so in the new year I’d like to have it switched to vintage.
    I have a certificate of authenticity from Volkswagen stating the date of manufacture.

My issue is I can’t for the life of me find the cars logbook, I’ve been searching for ages and can’t find it. I know it’s in the house somewhere as I would never throw it out.

Is there anyway I can change the tax class without the logbook?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

I doubt it very much. I can't see how they'd issue it vintage tax rates without it. You have until Janurary to find it, so you've got a bit of time, but if it comes to it, you may have to apply for a new book.

Neilw wrote: »
    I’m in a bit of a pickle, my cars date of manufacture is January 1991, so in the new year I’d like to have it switched to vintage.
    I have a certificate of authenticity from Volkswagen stating the date of manufacture.

My issue is I can’t for the life of me find the cars logbook, I’ve been searching for ages and can’t find it. I know it’s in the house somewhere as I would never throw it out.

Is there anyway I can change the tax class without the logbook?

Just apply for a duplicate log book Its 12 euro i think when you receive it then send it on with rf 111 form and certificate of authenticity Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Can anyone actually recommend a few decent VIN lookup services actually tha spit out decent detail? And has anyone ever gotten a non-exotic build sheet from say Toyota, Nissan etc?

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    So I was about to renew my cars tax when I realized its just hit 30. It was due to be taxed last month. So do I fill out section four and fill out the payment section. Or just fill out section 4 and wait for the new details to be sent to me?

I filled out section 4, and the payment section. Got a phone call from the tax office letting me know that the tax would be from the beginning of the month, so I would "loose" 2 weeks or so of tax, (as it was the middle of the month when it had it's 30th birthday) but once returned to me I could drive it straight away. I'd imagine if you didn't fill out the payment section, it would get reclassed as vintage, as normal, but it would just not be taxed. You would have to do that part seperate when you get the tax book back.

I included a covering note asking to return the brown log book, but talking the the person on the phone, it wasn't necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Ditto, fill out the payment section. I just did my Fastback about a month ago, and it was still on the normal tax rate on the system.

So like you I filled out section 4 and payment details, and change of colour too. They sent me a disc with the wrong colour,
    which i sent back and flagged up. Got it the following week.

Did they make Fastbacks into the 1990's or was it an older one that saw the road for the first time in a while?

Did they make Fastbacks into the 1990's or was it an older one that saw the road for the first time in a while?

It was an older one 1972, that had been off the road for years, and it was still on the system as full rate of tax, despite being nearly 50 years old. It was never taxed as vintage up until a few weeks ago. Long, long story.

Well guys just got my old log book, application and cert of authenticity reurned to me with an extra note saying your vehicle was registered on 4 august 1991, it cannot be changed to vintage yet as it must be30 years for this.It can be changed on or after the 4 august 2021.So it looks like dublin coco are going by first regristration and dont recognise date of manufacture as i have provided on certificate of authinicity.Im not taxing it now till next year anyway 56euro they would have got instead of a big fat zero.

Well guys just got my old log book, application and cert of authenticity reurned to me with an extra note saying your vehicle was registered on 4 august 1991, it cannot be changed to vintage yet as it must be30 years for this.It can be changed on or after the 4 august 2021.So it looks like dublin coco are going by first regristration and dont recognise date of manufacture as i have provided on certificate of authinicity.Im not taxing it now till next year anyway 56euro they would have got instead of a big fat zero.

I'm well open to correction on this, but if you are trying to VRT the vehicle, then the original registration date is what it used. But to change the tax class of an Irish vehicle, then it goes by the date of manufacture. Kdevitt posted a couple of post back that on numerous county council websites that the date of manufacture is what is used when classing vehicles as vintage.

You may have run foul of someone like I did in this regard. In may case, I didn't bother to pursue it as my car was off the road anyway, but I suggest you give them a call, and see what they have to say. If you get the person that sent your documents back to you, you may well have a fight on your hands, so have your facts prepared well in advance.

I'm well open to correction on this, but if you are trying to VRT the vehicle, then the original registration date is what it used. But to change the tax class of an Irish vehicle, then it goes by the date of manufacture. Kdevitt posted a couple of post back that on numerous county council websites that the date of manufacture is what is used when classing vehicles as vintage.

You may have run foul of someone like I did in this regard. In may case, I didn't bother to pursue it as my car was off the road anyway, but I suggest you give them a call, and see what they have to say. If you get the person that sent your documents back to you, you may well have a fight on your hands, so have your facts prepared well in advance.
    The car was vrted over 15 years ago,its just the tax class change im looking for .I based on Mr Kdevitts correct fact that it was on date of manufacture as described on tipp and monaghan coco websites,I would conceide that if you cannot verify date of manufacture it would automatically default to date of first registration. I have proof of manufacure date on authenticity cert, but dublin coco dont want to know ,Ill try ringing them later.

My tax class change in Westmeath on my 72 Fastback went on
    logbook details, granted the vehicle was well over 30 years old. But even so
    it was still on their tax class computer as full rate..

The car was vrted over 15 years ago,its just the tax class change im looking for .I based on Mr Kdevitts correct fact that it was on date of manufacture as described on tipp and monaghan coco websites,I would conceide that if you cannot verify date of manufacture it would automatically default to date of first registration. I have proof of manufacure date on authenticity cert, but dublin coco dont want to know ,Ill try ringing them later.
    So rang dublin coco today,they said they cannot change to vintage as the car is locked to 1991 on there system .Gave me a number in Wexford to ring in revenue.Guess what the number is not in use ,fobbed off again so in other words the date of manufacture doesnt count even though you can prove so.So she wont be taxed this year.

So rang dublin coco today,they said they cannot change to vintage as the car is locked to 1991 on there system .Gave me a number in Wexford to ring in revenue.Guess what the number is not in use ,fobbed off again so in other words the date of manufacture doesnt count even though you can prove so.So she wont be taxed this year.

I got the same story when I tried with the date of manufacture with mine, only I was told to contact Shannon. I did, and they told me to then contact Wexford. I didn't bother as I said before, it was off the road anyway at the time. I just waited an extra few months until it reached the 30 years old date on the tax book.
    I'd like to give you more advice as to what you can do next, but since I wasn't successful in the same situtation you find yourself in now, maybe someone else here can advice you better.

Edit:
    I was also told the same thing about being locked on their system. My car was an Irish car new from day one. I'm not sure how some councils can change things and others cant.

For the record, it was the Tipp Coco I had the trouble with. Go figure.

Advertisement