Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Restorer recommendations, Dublin

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Peew

Armstrong's in Co. Wicklow are another option, although I know they have one very fancy (not mine) and one the opposite of fancy (mine) cars in at the moment for significant body restoration work: http://www.armstrongbodyrepairs.ie/craftsmen.php, so there might be a long lead time!

Agree with everything the guys have said about about realistic pricing. E.g. if you've bought an MG Midget with what looks like minor tin worm for a few grand, you'll be putting at least 5k in to come out of the project with the rust sorted and a modern (i.e. better than factory) level paint job at the end of it. Note; I'm completely excluding engine, electrics, running gear etc.

If your car happens to be Porsche; Jon Miller is fantastic: http://www.classiccarworkshop.ie/index.html
    .. I think he does Ferrari and Jag stuff too.

Interested in your experience with the above, I'm on the hunt for the right guy to do some work, and a bit like the OP had been scared off by alot of the comments previously.Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭scannerd

In my experience the the best guys who take on this kind of work are small and often found by word of mouth, so not easy to find. Agree with earlier posters before that normal shops have no interest, and most of those that do this work are outside Dublin. You need to go meet them as they are as concerned about what type of customer they take on.

I found a chap near Rathcoffey kildare, had to call to the house to make contact, we found common ground but cost was not agreed as level of time was unknown. He took on extensive rust on firewall and front leg repair of an E30 2 years ago for me. I stripped the accessories and did all the putting back (brakes ,wiring etc) which suited both of us, cost as about 1800 and that was good deal so it can be done. if I have not done my part it would have 4k plus - it lots of hours doing this type of work and welding requires more stripping than most realize.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

Peew wrote: »
    Interested in your experience with the above, I'm on the hunt for the right guy to do some work, and a bit like the OP had been scared off by alot of the comments previously.Cheers

I was hoping to get mine back before Sept Cars & Coffee but didn't happen thanks to one very hard to find (at a sane price) window seal. Armstrong's have done a great job on the bodywork, and Liam Collin's crew up in Bray did the wheels, which are perfect.

Of course the new paintwork highlights all the other crap that I've got to sort out, like knackered reflectors, foggy headlights etc - not to mention the tired engine that's got to be sorted out and a small matter of an NCT that I need to book now that it's back on the road!

To put the photo into context, Armstrong's addressed serious levels of rust; sills gone, rear right quarter was visibly holed, front right quarter was shot, hole under the drivers seat (looked like it had been jacked in the wrong position and damage had led to rot), etc etc etc

526170.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭w124man

Liam Collin's crew up in Bray did the wheels, which are perfect.

[/IMG]

I got a set of very rare alloys refurbed by the Collins crew a few years ago and within 6 months they looked the same as when I left them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

w124man wrote: »
    I got a set of very rare alloys refurbed by the Collins crew a few years ago and within 6 months they looked the same as when I left them in.

No comment on their work as I don't know them from Adam, but maybe as someone mentioned, they're one of the business that focus on word-of-mouth etc, because their webpage is fairly brutal.

The testimonials and gallery are duplicated, and 1/3 of the gallery is of the recovery truck. Maybe it's just me, but I find a bad website is worse than no website.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

galwaytt wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me, but I find a bad website is worse than no website.

Completely agree. Very offputting.

On Alloy refurb., I found these guys really good and very reasonable.

https://quinnautostyling.ie/

galwaytt wrote: »
    but maybe as someone mentioned, they're one of the business that focus on word-of-mouth etc

Definitely the case.

I've used them twice and have had good experiences both times. The first time I went, Liam took the time to give me a full tour of the workshop, he showed me the projects that were currently being done and some finished ones, which is always a good indicator of the kind of place and people you're dealing with.

Perhaps others haven't had the same positive experience but I have no complaints and will use them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The Golf looks good - what model is it, 1.6 GL?,I didn't particularly like the mk3 at the time but it has aged pretty well and is in a 1990s sweetspot between the now very outdated looking mk2 and the mk4.

I wish it was still the 1990s :):(

BrianD3 wrote: »
    The Golf looks good - what model is it, 1.6 GL?,I didn't particularly like the mk3 at the time but it has aged pretty well and is in a 1990s sweetspot between the now very outdated looking mk2 and the mk4.

I'm the exact same, didn't like the Mk3 at all originally - the Mk3 is something of the difficult third album in the Golf family. It's a 1.8 GL 90, so it has the nice "chug" of the 1.8 8v engine; that might just be holes in the exhaust though :eek:

I was hoping to get mine back before Sept Cars & Coffee but didn't happen thanks to one very hard to find (at a sane price) window seal. Armstrong's have done a great job on the bodywork, and Liam Collin's crew up in Bray did the wheels, which are perfect.

Of course the new paintwork highlights all the other crap that I've got to sort out, like knackered reflectors, foggy headlights etc - not to mention the tired engine that's got to be sorted out and a small matter of an NCT that I need to book now that it's back on the road!

To put the photo into context, Armstrong's addressed serious levels of rust; sills gone, rear right quarter was visibly holed, front right quarter was shot, hole under the drivers seat (looked like it had been jacked in the wrong position and damage had led to rot), etc etc etc

526170.jpg
    Looks great.I might give them a shout.

• Advertisement

I got down to Armstrong's just before this 5km restriction and Aubrey took a good look over the car, up on the ramp etc, so waiting on him to come back to me.
    They were completely rammed with work mostly the simple stuff but did have a complete skeleton of a 911 that would be interesting see progress.

Peew wrote: »
    I got down to Armstrong's just before this 5km restriction and Aubrey took a good look over the car, up on the ramp etc, so waiting on him to come back to me.
    They were completely rammed with work mostly the simple stuff but did have a complete skeleton of a 911 that would be interesting see progress.

That 911 is mahoooosive job - it was just back from the sand blaster when I brought my Golf down originally and there was - as is so often the case with everything up as far as the 964 - barely a net of a shell left particularly in the usual spots at the base of the b pillars / kidney bowls. The original widening of the rear arches was a complete hackjob, which Aubrey and the team have had to fix too. Fascinating stuff to see.

Good luck with the resto!

That 911 is mahoooosive job - it was just back from the sand blaster when I brought my Golf down originally and there was - as is so often the case with everything up as far as the 964 - barely a net of a shell left particularly in the usual spots at the base of the b pillars / kidney bowls. The original widening of the rear arches was a complete hackjob, which Aubrey and the team have had to fix too. Fascinating stuff to see.

Good luck with the resto!

Yeah a huge job on that 911 alright.
    It is great to see, there will be some hours in that car.

Advertisement