Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Comet NeoWise

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭oriel36

The dual effects of experimental theorists ('climate change' for example) and celestial sphere enthusiasts (descriptions of the comet without solar system context) are a product of Royal Society empiricism which unfortunately dominates this era.

The 17th century experimental method is like a virus which hijacked the machinery of astronomy and re-directed astronomical predictions towards experimental predictions as universal theories. It used the late 17th century equatorial coordinate system (RA/Dec) to make astronomical observations subservient to timekeeping or what became the 'clockwork solar system' of Newton thereby turning interpretation of the motions of the planet and the structure of the solar system on its head.

Whereas the geocentric astronomers and the original heliocentric astronomers could predict astronomical events as dates within the calendar system, the RA/Dec system allowed observers to predict events using the 24 hour clock within those dates. The trade-off was that more accurate predictions meant a loss of cause and effect that is more drastic than geocentricity, after all, those venerable astronomers distinguished between the direct motion of the Sun through the background field of stars while the planets wandered while RA/Dec also puts the Sun in a wandering motion -

https://community.dur.ac.uk/john.lucey/users/sun_ecliptic.gif

https://community.dur.ac.uk/john.lucey/users/solar_year.gif

Our era is trapped within a conundrum created by two groups with a definite beginning in late 17th century England. Because academic society is dominated by these empirical descriptions, the stranglehold looks unbreakable, however, a glimpse of something new and exciting permits the perceptive or intuitive side of humanity to escape the intellectual gridlock created by people who organised things to suit themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AEluR-CBu4&t=39s

The comet just reminds people of what astronomy and Earth sciences used to be with the connection between the motions of the planet and Earth sciences still in its infancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Was much fainter than last week despite this being the optimal few days.
    Woke my, son up after him moaning last week that I hadn't.
    He was unimpressed and couldn't see it. Went back to bed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Dublin SkyGlow and clouds ruining things for me in Bray.

Thankfully I’ll always have 97’s Hale-Bopp being in my mid 40’s as I am. Where did 23 years go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I was happy enough that I’d see it before closest approach on the 23rd but ye are all saying it’s getting dimmer.

Why would that be? Is it because it’s moving away from the sun?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

pauldry wrote: »
    Completely clear in Sligo now but cant see it. Off to bed.

Perfect sky here last night for viewing and no sign of it either despite looking in all the right directions, even with binocs.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who couldn't see it. Went outside at 1 am and had a perfect sky to see it. Not a sign of it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It can be seen all night as it's well above the northern horizon, moving from NNW to NNE between 10:30 pm and 3:30 a.m. (roughly the interval of dark skies). There is no best time to see it, depends on your local horizon and viewing parameters. However, it may be about to fade rapidly. I'm eight hours behind your time zone and waiting for darkness to have a look (sun just set here at 9 p.m. local time). Will report back how it compares to last two views I had.

(later edit) _ Just back in from viewing, would say it has dropped in brightness by about one magnitude past two days, it's about equal to the two guide stars it just passed. At best it is borderline of 2nd and 3rd mags. Still a good sight in binoculars. If you don't have very dark rural skies plus binocs, I would say not worth your time or effort now, but try for it if you have those two things.

I'll probably give it a miss then, definitely don't have dark rural skies here anyway so I'd say even the binocs won't help at those magnitudes

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Calibos wrote: »

Thankfully I’ll always have 97’s Hale-Bopp being in my mid 40’s as I am. Where did 23 years go!!

That was really something wasn't it, I can still remember it well too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Calibos wrote: »

Set the dairy for Fri 13th April 2029 (T- 3,206 earth days) for the wormwood-esq 'Lordy of Chaos' to arrive, it'll look like a moving gradually brightening star as it approaches.

Back in 2004 during its time of infamy as an asteroid that might strike Earth, Apophis set the record for the highest rating on the NEO Torino scale, reaching level 4 threat by the end of that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

Too early or anyone spotted it this evening yet? Contemplating a spin (north Wicklow) but won't bother my arse if it's tough to spot without binoculars by now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭lolie

What time are you guys seeing it at?

I only got a chance to look for it at 1.45 am and it was faint but easily noticeable with the najed eye but i was in a rural area with no light polution.
    I took the pic i posted at 3am and could barely notice it with the naked eye, definitely had dimmed a good bit since last Saturday night.
    Best time would be between 12 and 2am.
    If theres any lighr pollution where you are I'd forget about it as it will likely be a bit dimmer again tonight.
    Use the Plough/Saucepan as a guide.
    Screenshot-20200719-230151.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

g0g wrote: »
    Too early or anyone spotted it this evening yet? Contemplating a spin (north Wicklow) but won't bother my arse if it's tough to spot without binoculars by now?

I was in Fanore last night, perfect view of the northwest sky in a dark sky region, still couldn’t see it till about Half 12 due to the twilight glow

Was lovely to see with the naked eye but definitely bring binoculars to see it in more detail

g0g wrote: »

I just went out a few mins ago and spotted it, only for i knew exactly where to look.
    If you get a spot with no light pollution go for it.
    That or look out again in 6,800 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭pad199207

Visible to the naked eye here now

9-A08-EA32-0-BBD-4748-BFDA-A8601-D3-ECCAF.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,990 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

lolie wrote: »
    I just went out a few mins ago and spotted it, only for i knew exactly where to look.
    If you get a spot with no light pollution go for it.
    That or look out again in 6,800 years.

Is it still near the plough?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

First time spotting it just now. Faint but visible to the NW about halfway up the sky.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

Right now should be a little below, to the right of the plough (I *think*)

Its just after midnight now, in Galway city, I've got the apps and I know my phone is calibrated, and I'm confident I can see exactly where it should be in relation to the plough, so I know Im looking in the right direction, but I cant see anything.

Its not *that* dark, being in the city, and I'm looking with the naked eye only, but I thought I'd see something - the sky looks alot darker than some other random photos Ive see online posted by people with just their phones I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Calculator123

It is. Below the rightmost stars. Here is a picture I just took tonight. West Dublin. Lots of light pollution. But it's visible with binoculars. Only clear night I've had.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It's to the right of the plough, it's fairly visible to the naked eye. Set your smartphone camera to its highest exposure setting and wow you can really see it.

I had decamped to the country this weekend in the hope of seeing it, decided to stay down the extra night and have been rewarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭pad199207

Almost got a decent meteor/shooting star going across before this shot

3898-D4-A2-80-B9-487-B-9028-516-D183-ED921.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,990 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Anyone else just see the shooting star there 5 minutes ago under the Plough?
    I can see a hue which I reckon is the comet. Like a blur.

To thine own self be true

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Akrasia wrote: »
    I was in Fanore last night, perfect view of the northwest sky in a dark sky region, still couldn’t see it till about Half 12 due to the twilight glow

Was lovely to see with the naked eye but definitely bring binoculars to see it in more detail

When in Fanore, what geographical direction did you look ?

Would towards north of Galway city be the location ?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

Well, still cant see anything with naked in in Galway city, but I set my phone to night mode, max exposure - 10sec - and just pointed in the right direction, and sure enough, there it is on my phone! Quite faint, but woo! Im surprised my eyes cant pick it up - my eyesight is fine...

I finally saw it as I was looking in the right place tonight. Look NNW (about 340 °) and you can't miss it.

I also saw the shooting star and a satellite too for good measure.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

After my rather embarrassing attempt last night :o I spent a bit of time this evening learning up a bit.... better shot tonight and framed The Plough in as well. Very faint to the naked eye.

GQ7WiWv.jpg?1

IKJHrJI.jpg?1

Yeah, here's a pic taken a few mins ago on the phone.
    A bit out of focus though.

Jupiter and Saturn are the bright objects on the opposite side of, the sky and Mars is rising now in the East.
    Also the ISS is due out at 12.51 to 12.56 and again at 2.28 to 2.29,both West to east.

Pics-Art-07-20-12-25-34.jpg

It's amazing that we can see something so small from 105 million km away.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭robclay26

lolie wrote: »
    Yeah, here's a pic taken a few mins ago on the phone.
    A bit out of focus though.

Jupiter and Saturn are the bright objects on the opposite side of, the sky and Mars is rising now in the East.
    Also the ISS is due out at 12.51 to 12.56 and again at 2.28 to 2.29,both West to east.

Pics-Art-07-20-12-25-34.jpg

Super pic! What’s the streak going right to left at 30 degree angle??i can see it outside too

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

nthclare wrote: »
    When in Fanore, what geographical direction did you look ?

Would towards north of Galway city be the location ?

I’d Say slightly west of the city, ( from the POV of the Dunes on the Beach). i was looking too far north early on, its also quite high in the sky about now, maybe a third of the way between the horizon and 90 degrees

It’s a whispy tail to the naked eye but once you see it, you can’t miss it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Pointed phone at the sky with max exposure settings and hoped for the best....

Advertisement