Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Renault 19s - esp. phase 1 and TSE

• 17-04-2020 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭

Anyone here own a 19 or have a fetish for them. Are they starting to appear at classic car shows - many phase 1s are now old enough for classic status.

The 19 16v "valver" was one of the most well regarded hot hatches of the 90s but I only ever saw a handful on the roads in this country and am not sure if they were ever officially sold here.

The 1.7 8v and 1.8 8v were also not sold here. So here it was basically 1.4s and diesels.

The highest spec phase 1 1.4 was the TSE, I always thought these were very nice especially as a Chamade and in a nice metallic. They had the all important yellow foglights, velour armchairs, electric sunroof, dinky 13 inch Zenith alloys :cool:. I wonder do any survive. Chamades/4 doors were uncommon in the UK due to their preference for hatchbacks. Howmanyleft suggests that 4 door TSE and TXEs (1.7) are virtually extinct in the UK with 5 door cars not far off it.

There was an Irish brochure on ebay recently, pics below.
    509970.jpg

509971.jpg

509972.jpg

509969.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

ba_barabus has just restored his, it’s a ph2 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭BrianD3

colm_mcm wrote: »
    ba_barabus has just restored his, it’s a ph2 though.
    Yep, saw that - black RSi. Phase 2 discussion is welcome in this thread too and attached is a mini brochure for the Irish RSi

Last page of brochure

http://www.limerickcity.ie/media/Garage006.pdf

Period advert for long gone Limerick Renault dealer. Looks like the 19 TSI was £13,200

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

I had a Phase 2 95 saloon one almost 19 years ago. It was green, front fogs, side skirts, boot spoiler. alloys. 1.4 8v.

Didn't have it very long as a mate took a shine to it and i sold it... But it was a very comfortable car.... Great for the old Sunday morning tour of the parish pubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

My first car was a 1994 1.4 RSI saloon - in the same blue as below. I loved it

Ive always kept an eye out for them but they seem to be virtually extinct now. I imagine rust was a factor and the residuals were terrible so they were not that well minded.

RENAULT-19-Cabrio-2069_10.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

My first car was a 1990 supervan, absolutely loved it and if it could tell stories! My neig9had a black phase 1 16v which I used to drool over. Never really swayed by the phrase 2 but I'd kill for a supervan.

I used to see supervans being driven quite fast, never drove one but had a few spins in Megavans and they were dead slow.

What impressed me about the 19 was how little was needed to morph it into the Megane 1 which kept going til 2002

I used to see supervans being driven quite fast, never drove one but had a few spins in Megavans and they were dead slow.

What impressed me about the 19 was how little was needed to morph it into the Megane 1 which kept going til 2002

Mine was plenty fast for me but it was only a N/A engine, there was a turbo diesel van as well

Yes, now that I think of it a lad at schools dad had a turbo diesel ph2 in red, he changed it for a Megavan when they came out. quite a step down looks wise with the silly back doors

• Advertisement

The phase 1 turbo diesels had an extra little air intake at the base of the bonnet just under the badge, it was the only distinguishing feature AFAIK. Not many of them around even back in the day.

1st gen Megavan appeared in 96 here anyway.... Not much of a change from the 19 van.... In 1999 the second gen Megavan had a lot of changes....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/112961191@N02/33286098118/in/photostream
    You can see the extra grille between the number plate and badge here.

kev1.3s wrote: »
    The phase 1 turbo diesels had an extra little air intake at the base of the bonnet just under the badge, it was the only distinguishing feature AFAIK. Not many of them around even back in the day.
    Yes, the "Turbo DX" grille. Same as the cabrio I think but without the double optic headlight of the cabrios. So that means there were four different front ends for the phase 1 R19. The 16v had the double optic headlights but didn't have the little intake.

As you say, there were very few ph1 turbodiesels about back in the day. I saw a few of them around 1992. I don't recall seeing any vans with the intake.

edit: already mentioned above as I was typing

11122695826_c409e6c5ce_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭skibum

My first brand new car was a phase 1 supervan, loved it, really comfortable, good on fuel and was quick enough. got up to lots in it... one abiding memory was pulling up in front of "Club Apres" at the Kilternan sport hotel, all the lads piling out of the back, and the bouncer cracking up, comparing it to a clown car, he had never seen so many bodies pour out.... wouldn't get away with it today....:pac:

Just as a follow on to the geeky stuff about grilles and spec, does anyone notice a subtle difference between this TXE below and the TSE that I posted in the OP. Aside from the very obvious LHD, colour and rear spoiler :)

510025.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭pale rider

I had several 19’s finishing with a 1994 R19 Baccara, hatchback 1.4 petrol I. Metallic black with full black leather interior. Sports seats in the front, a/c, 15 inch alloys, loved that car.

I saw one for sale in Cork last year, they came in hatch and saloon and were the last run of the 19’s as I recall as I went to a Megane in 1996.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I had a 91 phase 1 16v back in about 95/96 - super car, but it drank juice like it was going outta fashion !

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Just as a follow on to the geeky stuff about grilles and spec, does anyone notice a subtle difference between this TXE below and the TSE that I posted in the OP. Aside from the very obvious LHD, colour and rear spoiler :)

No indicator repeaters?

No indicator repeaters?
    LOL you're right - I didn't even notice that. From googling, Indicator repeaters seem to be absent from some cars sold on the continent, possibly something to do with type approval/regulations.

There is another difference between the pics I posted - is blatantly obvious if you know to look for it but otherwise you just know something is "different" but can't put your finger on it.

• Advertisement

Suspension is lower?

The stripe?

Plastic covered sill

The answer I was looking for was - the wheels are the same but different. 13 inch Zenith alloys on the TSE, 14 inch Zenith alloys on the TXE. Also wider tyres on the TXE.

I'd never have noticed :)

Augeo wrote: »
    I'd never have noticed :)
    Only something that a geek would notice!

The best non 16v 19s IMO were the TSE/TXEs and the late model phase 2s from 1995/1996 such as the Baccara that was mentioned in this thread. The late Irish Baccaras had a particular alloy wheel design that I haven't managed to find a pic of online. If anyone has any Irish brochures for any model year it would be cool see them posted here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Rob Thomas wrote: »
    My first car was a 1994 1.4 RSI saloon - in the same blue as below. I loved it

Ive always kept an eye out for them but they seem to be virtually extinct now. I imagine rust was a factor and the residuals were terrible so they were not that well minded.

RENAULT-19-Cabrio-2069_10.jpg

Adriatic blue. I had it in a 95 Phase 2 5 door hatch. Loved it.
    Before that I had a white P2 saloon.
    And before that I had a 1990 phase 1 Supervan...and super it was. Rocket and would pull like the bejasus. Savage torque.

I'd love either a P1 or P2 now. Great thread.

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Only something that a geek would notice!

The best non 16v 19s IMO were the TSE/TXEs and the late model phase 2s from 1995/1996 such as the Baccara that was mentioned in this thread. The late Irish Baccaras had a particular alloy wheel design that I haven't managed to find a pic of online. If anyone has any Irish brochures for any model year it would be cool see them posted here.

Not these no?

https://www.adverts.ie/car/renault/19/renault-19-baccara-edition/5178074

• Registered Users Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭road_high

They were very popular in Ireland, they were big enough to offer the same for a family as a Sierra or Vectra class. The spec was decent for the time like electric windows etc
    80 bhp in the 1.4l was probably alright for the time too.

• Advertisement

And used to go through wheel bearings as often as a set of plugs!

Advertisement