Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you happy about how your career is progressing?

• 24-05-2020 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Im 29, work as an engineer for a MN company. Worked hard to get here and I am glad of the experience.

The corporate way is wearing me down though: long hours, excessive meetings that everyone tries to talk for the sake of talking, lazy people getting more credit than hard workers, the politics etc. and so I am considering moving to something a bit more easy going, with less money.

I think the whole pandemic will change peoples attitude towards work in general.

How happy are you with your career? Do you regret staying one place too long/too little? Sacrifice too much family time for work? are you planning on going a different direction or simply just happy to have a job in the current climate?

Comments

On a day to day basis I like it mostly but I’m going absolutely nowhere and will still be doing exactly the same thing in 20 years if I stay at it. What I need to decide is if I’m happy that the positives outweigh that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

In general i think most people who have a job should just be happy they still have one.

I am one of them and while the situation may change for the worse i guess i just have to be happy to be employed. Will still in all likelyhood be down a decent number of raises/bonuses for the next few years because of all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Happy enough. I left a stressful, high paying job with long hours to go back and retrain in social care. I'm working for less money but I'm a lot happier where I am and don't have to bring the job home. There's a lot to be said for it.

On a day to day basis I like it mostly but I’m going absolutely nowhere and will still be doing exactly the same thing in 20 years if I stay at it. What I need to decide is if I’m happy that the positives outweigh that fact.

I'm abit the same. I maybe have one more promotion in me before I retire in 20 years. I think I'd prefer to cut my hours and enjoy more free time than go after promotions and career advancements. Maybe a 4 day week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭piplip87

I left a job back in October. It was in a major multinational, very well paid, long hours and a long commute. Left the house at 5 and not back until 7:30

I am now labouring on a site locally, crap money, crap job but no commute. 5 minute walk to work. Leave the house at 7:55 home at 5:10.

I am much happier now and I will stay working locally until I can get a work from home or better job locally.

I felt there was no point in spending 4 hours a day on a bus, to earn money to fund the future, while not enjoying life now, not seeing my kids enough, not spending enough time with family and friends, then feeling guilty for going out with the lads at weekend because i haven't seen the wife or kids enough during the week.

It's nice to have a good job that pays well but it's even nicer to have a job that pays enough to live a good life and actually spend time with those you love.

I am lucky enough as we did manage to inherit a house that was ready to live in a few years ago so no mortgage payment. If it wasn't for that I'd still be commuting

• Advertisement

I'm abit the same. I maybe have one more promotion in me before I retire in 20 years. I think I'd prefer to cut my hours and enjoy more free time than go after promotions and career advancements. Maybe a 4 day week.

I’d need to go into sales to progress where I am, which is a non starter as I don’t have the neck for it at all. Just not built that way. To move on for progression I’d need to go back to third level and add a level but I’m not sure I’d want to go down that road as I’d still be starting all over again at that (the industry doesn’t really work off experience, more that single number).

To be honest what you’re saying sounds the most preferable, work less and focus on what’s outside the job more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

nutjobb wrote: »
    Im 29, work as an engineer for a MN company. Worked hard to get here and I am glad of the experience.

The corporate way is wearing me down though: long hours, excessive meetings that everyone tries to talk for the sake of talking, lazy people getting more credit than hard workers, the politics etc. and so I am considering moving to something a bit more easy going, with less money.

I think the whole pandemic will change peoples attitude towards work in general.

How happy are you with your career? Do you regret staying one place too long/too little? Sacrifice too much family time for work? are you planning on going a different direction or simply just happy to have a job in the current climate?

Im a PM and as you can imagine, that takes a lot of meetings to get agreements and stuff done.

But I absolutely hate them for the reasons you mention. So typically my style is to prepare a deck, literally blast through the the agenda and send out a detailed email with actions afterwards or if I feel there is little discussion to be had, I will scrap the meeting and send an email update. From the moment it kicks off, no small talk and just get on with it.

My weekly checkpoints etc would only last 20 minutes and daily stand ups about 5 minutes.

I trust all the people on the project teams to know how to get **** done as they are the experts in their particular areas and that they are comfortable to raise any issues if necessary.

Worked Big4 previously and my god the meetings were absolutely soul destroying resulting in far too many late evenings working. Seemed to be too many meetings for the sake of being seen to be doing something without actually doing anything. The politics was horrible. Similar to another poster, I ended up working on a building site in Civil Works for a year after that particular role to reset myself and clear the head.

Being an Introvert, I'm much happier working this way and so are my colleagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Pops_20

I think I'm in the same boat as you OP. IT engineer with a large MN; Level 8 degree that was a hard slog over 4 years.

My concern is that I've hit somewhat of a glass ceiling. No matter how hard you work, or how much extra you do in these corporate environments, it's always those that shout the loudest and complain most frequently that get the raises/promotions etc. That's my experience.
    I can tell when someone talks in a meeting just for the sake of saying something, when the annual review is on the horizon and they want to be noticed.

I'm lucky in that I'm still relatively young and can make a change, which I'm thinking about, but I could end up in the same type of environment elsewhere.

What really upset me was when I found out that the guys with 2-3 years less experience were on a higher salary. It's doesn't seem to be based on merit. I can't figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Figel Narage

Happy enough, good salary (89k) considering I'm finished work around 5pm most days and not too much pressure. Don't think I would want a promotion as don't really need much more money so wouldn't be worth the extra responsibility.

Wow fair play. If you don't mind me asking what do you do?

I'm mid 20's and not experienced the working world as much as you guys but I'm starting to realise alot of it is nonsense and to be honest, I'd want to get to a certain level salary and career wise and I'll be happy enough, ambition for career or money erodes over time unless you need those things my opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Happy enough, good salary (89k) considering I'm finished work around 5pm most days and not too much pressure. Don't think I would want a promotion as don't really need much more money so wouldn't be worth the extra responsibility.

What do you do?
    I’m on €60K in construction, and by god you work hard for it, albeit I’m not out on site. But the constant company politics and arguing on sites with other trades is soul destroying, I’m only 27 but I can’t wait to get out of Construction industry. It’s a ruthless, dinosaur-ran corrupt sh*theap. No wonder the young people never want to go into it. The only way I could see myself staying in it is if I went out on my own doing small jobs where I’m the boss and just a client.

I spend most weeks looking up postgrad courses online but don’t have a clue what to commit to. Even splashed out €500 on a career coach in Dublin last year which was the biggest load of bollocks ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,180 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'd like it to be rapidly progressing to early retirement but I'm not prepared to do more work or longer hours.

The lockdown has been a real eye opener into how much time commuting and work eats up, and in particular, how much of the work is bureaucratic time filling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

I was happy B.C.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I earn 85k after tax and don't get out of bed until at least 11am most mornings.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

I'm kinda re-training, I have a lot of transferable skills so at the moment I'm spending a lot of time on linked in learning, and doing some course's that will further my skill set and hopefully look a lot more attractive on my CV.

I do have a job but due to COVID19 rearing its ugly head That fell through so kinda not sure where life is going at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mayo londoner

Similar to the poster above, in Construction in Dublin and words can't describe how much I despise it, the office politics, the 'machoness' of it all,it's all bull**** and sad thing is most staff don't realise they are being completely exploited.

On 51k at the moment, have never got a bonus/pension in my career and TBH I'd imagine I'd be able to make another 5-10k max to be at the top of my payscale for my profession. It's just not worth the stress and all the ****e that goes with it. Can't ever see them offering WFH once a return to office is back on the cards next month.

At the moment I'm very high up on a panel for a low grade position in the Civil Service down the country and expect to be called for interview in the next few weeks. It's just over €300 less a week after tax which is obviously a huge financial hit but the way I see it the chance of progression to higher payscales, job security, less pressure, and a hell of a lot more free time and flexibility with my work hours is massively appealing. 150-200k less for a house than Dublin too which when you factor all that in makes a huge dent in the 300euro less a week I'll be making.

I've only 17k savings at 32 years of age (Pissed away and travelled a fair bit in my 20s and don't regret it one bit!).
    Maybe I'm absolutely nuts to be taking such a pay cut initially but I genuinely believe it will work out better in the long run both financially and for work/life balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Figel Narage

I work in internal audit for a bank, I'm 35 so it wouldn't a great salary for my age working for international bank. A friend in work the same age as me would be on double my salary nearly, but he's teo levels above me. Ten years a go I was on 25k, no salary increase for two years so left for a job paying 34k, that increased to 42k, then left for another job paying 55k. No salary increase in 2 years so left for a job paying 75k. Then again no salary increase in first year so left for 85k which rose to 89k a year later.

Moral of the story is it pays to move jobs if you aren't getting salary increases.

Thanks for answering.

Wow, moving jobs really is the way to go. Not the same but similar, I have been offered jobs in Operational risk in a large bank with a higher salary than I'm currently on but never really considered them as I thought the job may be boring and while I don't love my current job, I prefer having a bit of stress and days are never ever boring, however, maybe I should now....... I've heard Internal Audit can be boring, have you found this to be the case?

Congrats anyway, you sound like a savy cat that knows you're worth and regarding your friends who are on more money, does that bother you a lot? Personally I wouldn't care as 89K is high above the median or average salary in Ireland but I can understand if you may feel somewhat shafted

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭nutjobb

I think it's too easy get caught up in the big the bank balance is and sacrificing other areas of life. I know in my company at least its all about progression and to be seen to want to progress. Really though as said above I think it's just encouraging a work to live attitude. More hours more work, enough is never enough

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Do you ask for salary increases or threaten to leave if you don't get one?

A company will pay as little as they have to, it's your responsibility to get as much as you can from the company. Be a better negotiator and become politically savvy. Get friendly with decision makers, earn their trust and look out for them.

I've gotten a raise the last two years running, which basically everyone gets, but its only 2% - so almost nothing after inflation. I haven't threatened to leave but I've made it known that I'm not happy on several occasions. I don't have it in me to threaten to leave, so I think I need another job offer to back that up.

I started on 31k over 4 years ago, which has gradually risen to 41k today. As you said in a later post, it seems the only way to get a proper increase is to change jobs every few years.

The only thing is that I do quite enjoy my job. There's plenty extra days off with the shift pattern I work, and it's relatively low pressure. I don't remember many days where I had to stay back late, and even then that was my own choice.

So it's not all bad news. I just feel a bit disillusioned and think I'm not valued at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Not really, stuck on the same salary and position for a few years now although the jobs ok. My free time is precious though, looking elsewhere, education or moving up requires a lot of time and hard work and I'm enjoying life outside of work too much to commit to that, I think if I tried to improve and it didn't work I'd feel bitter about wasting my time.

Greyfox wrote: »
    Not really, stuck on the same salary and position for a few years now although the jobs ok. My free time is precious though, looking elsewhere, education or moving up requires a lot of time and hard work and I'm enjoying life outside of work too much to commit to that, I think if I tried to improve and it didn't work I'd feel bitter about wasting my time.

It’s horrendously expensive too. I’d need to fork out nearly 10 grand just to do part time.

• Advertisement

Have to agree on it paying to move jobs. I've seen massive variations of in salary between company's for people performing effectively the same roles. I know someone performing an Internal Audit role for 40k.

Even if you are confident of your worth and hand in your notice a lot of employers will come back with the offer of a salary increase.

This has to be a calculated move with something else lined up.

nutjobb wrote: »

OP if your unhappy make the change, it's a risk but one which you may never regret.

I've worked in some form since I was seven, farm work on my uncle's farm over school holidays, could drive a tractor from nine years old, as well as building work with my dad from eleven, then retail security from fifteen, terminating in a.management position and have worked in I.T. for over twenty years.

I could have inherited my uncle's farm as they didn't have kids and I could have continued to work with my dad and taken over his clients, or could have gotten into the Airport police through another uncle, and was strongly encouraged to do one of these options by my dad rather than take over his clients as the building game isn't steady work, but I always wanted to go my own way.

I paid for college myself as a part time night student and for other courses because I like what I do.
    But while I will continue in the I.T. industry, I will be moving to a new organisation next month that while they offer lower pay, I'll have more flexible hours and actually be paid for any extra hours I do, not that I do many on principal as it is, and as I have since 2017 continue to work from home.

I don't see the current pandemic make much of a change to work culture other than perhaps working from home becoming more common. Even with this most Irish companies won't want to continue with this imo and going by some threads/posts on here.

A lot of what you and others have mentioned so far, I have seen in both retail and I.T. companies.

In terms of money, for some it is their life, they don't have much else despite what they might say to the contrary and that colours their world view.
    Some just need to think their somewhat important and those are the main types that go for management positions. Always funny to hear them going on about teamwork etc when they are the first to take credit for other people's work etc.
    Good managers are very hard to find at least in a technical setting in my experience. Those that are technically competent are often passed over because they are needed at the role that they are working in and often don't have the patience for endless meetings about meetings.

If you can afford to live on your salary and will have a better quality of life then go for it.

I earn 85k after tax and don't get out of bed until at least 11am most mornings.

:D;)

Similar to the poster above, in Construction in Dublin and words can't describe how much I despise it, the office politics, the 'machoness' of it all,it's all bull**** and sad thing is most staff don't realise they are being completely exploited.

On 51k at the moment, have never got a bonus/pension in my career and TBH I'd imagine I'd be able to make another 5-10k max to be at the top of my payscale for my profession. It's just not worth the stress and all the ****e that goes with it. Can't ever see them offering WFH once a return to office is back on the cards next month.

At the moment I'm very high up on a panel for a low grade position in the Civil Service down the country and expect to be called for interview in the next few weeks. It's just over €300 less a week after tax which is obviously a huge financial hit but the way I see it the chance of progression to higher payscales, job security, less pressure, and a hell of a lot more free time and flexibility with my work hours is massively appealing. 150-200k less for a house than Dublin too which when you factor all that in makes a huge dent in the 300euro less a week I'll be making.

I've only 17k savings at 32 years of age (Pissed away and travelled a fair bit in my 20s and don't regret it one bit!).
    Maybe I'm absolutely nuts to be taking such a pay cut initially but I genuinely believe it will work out better in the long run both financially and for work/life balance.

No word of a lie, I left a ****e paying construction consultancy job in Belfast before moving to Australia in 2017.

The opportunities out there are mental for money. But all this talk about the lifestyle etc: I didn’t see it. They work hard in construction everywhere - unless as you say you get a public sector job with set hours etc. a friend who works in ESB here offered me one a few weeks back and I might latch onto it. Pay scales and all that craic with a semi state organization.

Anyway (off track) I walked right into a $135K a year job in Sydney, now I know it’s a very expensive place to live. But that was crazy money for a single lad like me in my 20s. My friends are still cursing me for this, but I lasted 8 weeks and gave it up. It was a $6billion dollar government job and I never saw as much red tape and meetings in my life. Lads were in the office at 6am in the morning, I made it in for 7/7:30 and stayed to 6/7 in the evenings. With one lunch break outside and a few 10 minute walks here in there. And a 1 hour commute. It wasn’t feasible. Some people are driven by money but i was miserable. Up at dark and home at dark. It wasn’t what I’d moved for

CBear1993 wrote: »
    :D;)

And they didn’t even mention how large their penis was.

No word of a lie, I left a ****e paying construction consultancy job in Belfast before moving to Australia in 2017.

The opportunities out there are mental for money. But all this talk about the lifestyle etc: I didn’t see it. They work hard in construction everywhere - unless as you say you get a public sector job with set hours etc. a friend who works in ESB here offered me one a few weeks back and I might latch onto it. Pay scales and all that craic with a semi state organization.

Anyway (off track) I walked right into a $135K a year job in Sydney, now I know it’s a very expensive place to live. But that was crazy money for a single lad like me in my 20s. My friends are still cursing me for this, but I lasted 8 weeks and gave it up. It was a $6billion dollar government job and I never saw as much red tape and meetings in my life. Lads were in the office at 6am in the morning, I made it in for 7/7:30 and stayed to 6/7 in the evenings. With one lunch break outside and a few 10 minute walks here in there. And a 1 hour commute. It wasn’t feasible. Some people are driven by money but i was miserable. Up at dark and home at dark. It wasn’t what I’d moved for

Light rail?? An absolute piss take that project. $45 an hour, $90 an hour on weekends for holding a brush pretending to look busy.

Yeah it was the northwest rapid transit, based up in castle hill with CPB. About 1,000 in the office easily and about 10 people for the job of 1 person. I have to say I do miss Sydney and wondered what might have been if I was out there now with my now girlfriend here in Dublin. Probably would have gave it a better shot than I did drinking every weekend!

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Light rail?? An absolute piss take that project. $45 an hour, $90 an hour on weekends for holding a brush pretending to look busy.

I know it’s class money for the lads out on site who would never have known anything like that back here. But you have to wonder , as someone else said 90% of them all return home some day, maybe even more, it’s bound to be some kick in the stones when you land back and still no qualifications except working on a site. And never get near that same money. Bit of a dreamland I think. An easy getaway for a lot of lads for a few years. I’ve seen a lot come back here and struggle with life in Ireland again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

eviltwin wrote: »
    Happy enough. I left a stressful, high paying job with long hours to go back and retrain in social care. I'm working for less money but I'm a lot happier where I am and don't have to bring the job home. There's a lot to be said for it.

What were you doing that could be more stressful than social care AND motivate you to retrain? I am guessing you were doing bodyguarding for Uday Hussein?

• Advertisement

I know it’s class money for the lads out on site who would never have known anything like that back here. But you have to wonder , as someone else said 90% of them all return home some day, maybe even more, it’s bound to be some kick in the stones when you land back and still no qualifications except working on a site. And never get near that same money. Bit of a dreamland I think. An easy getaway for a lot of lads for a few years. I’ve seen a lot come back here and struggle with life in Ireland again

I've thought that myself. I just did it as the craic was good on the sites and a bit of a career break from the finance projects world. My bro is similar to what you describe, no real career plan just happy to make big money ****ing around on the sites in Oz. I'm trying to get him to start upskilling to make his skills more transferable for the inevitable day he will likely return.

Advertisement