Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese closed but takeaways open

• 03-04-2020 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Right can anyone explain why all the Chinese take aways are closed and Irish chippers are open

Is it just that the Chinese know they need to lockdown to avoid illness or something got to do with the goods they provide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

people these days have a hang up on everything chinese

i'm never having a chinese again

Right can anyone explain why all the Chinese take always are closed and Irish chippers are open

Is it just that the Chinese know they need to lockdown to avoid illness or something got to do with the goods they provide

Not all are closed out my way. About half

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

My local Chinese is open and my local chipper is closed ! You’re theory is up there with the 5g bull crap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Right can anyone explain why all the Chinese take always are closed and Irish chippers are open

They ran out of bat soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Newlymarried

hawkelady wrote: »
    My local Chinese is open and my local chipper is closed ! You’re theory is up there with the 5g bull crap

Who said I had a theory just wondering

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

My Chinese is open. We got one last Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Chinese and chipper open here, the Chinese are here years and are more Dublin than me!

I've been frequenting both with gloves and stand outside waiting for my order, it's so weird but has to be done...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Local two are doing deliveries. One of the two Thais has closed and that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

New menu in the one near me, looked at the starters section and can't figure out why it goes 16.17.18.20 though...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

dd973 wrote: »
    New menu in the one near me, looked at the starters section and can't figure out why it goes 16.17.18.20 though...

the no.19 would have been the pangolin stew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Right can anyone explain why all the Chinese take aways are closed and Irish chippers are open

Your statement is false. There's loads open on all of my takeaway apps. A out half are closed yes but there's still plenty for me to choose from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Were delis in garages oredered to close? Went to 3 today on my break only to find all 3 had closed their delis. Very frustrating. I usually bring lunch but said I'd treat myself today but had no idea they were closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Lundstram wrote: »
    Were delis in garages oredered to close? Went to 3 today on my break only to find all 3 had closed their delis. Very frustrating. I usually bring lunch but said I'd treat myself today but had no idea they were closed.

Not sure about garages but all our local centra/mace etc have working delis along with SuperValu.

I'm kind of surprised they're still open to be honest.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Your statement is false. There's loads open on all of my takeaway apps. A out half are closed yes but there's still plenty for me to choose from.

I just read this in the voice of the "didi mao" guy in The Deerhunter and God forgive me but I'm peeing myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭lurker2000

You might live near me OP. Tried to order my isolated mam a lemon chicken delivery and gave up after phoning the four nearest Chinese takeaways who were all shut. Got her a battered cod instead! I heard the Chinese takeaways had been badly hit even before the S**t had hit the fan here by declining sales due to customers being afraid of contracting infection.

I’d love a takeaway but I wouldn’t chance one at all these days, not any type nor a deli counter. Wouldn’t even get a coffee in a petrol station.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

All the Chinese takeaways around us are closed but the chippers are open. I was wondering the same as OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

All the Chinese takeaways around us are closed but the chippers are open. I was wondering the same as OP.

Same here, would have murdered a shredded chilli chicken last week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I’d love a takeaway but I wouldn’t chance one at all these days, not any type nor a deli counter. Wouldn’t even get a coffee in a petrol station.

Why? what about the food packaged and processed in supermarkets?

Why? what about the food packaged and processed in supermarkets?

I wipe down all the packaging with 100% IPA wipes and hand sanitiser once it gets delivered and after that you have to trust what’s inside the packaging will be ok and buy nothing unless it needs to be cooked (ie, no cheese, slices of cooked ham, etc). A food factory will be a more controlled environment than a takeaway kitchen or someone mauling all the coffee cups in a shop anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Same here, would have murdered a shredded chilli chicken last week

Sounds as if it was already murdered

I wipe down all the packaging with 100% IPA wipes and hand sanitiser once it gets delivered and after that you have to trust what’s inside the packaging will be ok and buy nothing unless it needs to be cooked (ie, no cheese, slices of cooked ham, etc). A food factory will be a more controlled environment than a takeaway kitchen or someone mauling all the coffee cups in a shop anyway.

A bit extreme don't you think?

It's human beings processing and packaging products that then go into either supermarkets or chippers/restaurants anyways.

If you're buying coffee in say a Centra (if you have to), they are cleaning down all the time so you'd be fine, ditto takeaway restaurants of a good standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,231 ✭✭✭✭ted1

My local store laces e.g Bombay Pantry , Camille Thai are doing delivery only. No in store collections or orders.

A bit extreme don't you think?

It's human beings processing and packaging products that then go into either supermarkets or chippers/restaurants anyways.

If you're buying coffee in say a Centra (if you have to), they are cleaning down all the time so you'd be fine, ditto takeaway restaurants of a good standard.

I’d be very dubious that takeaways are cleaning all the time, the ones that haven’t been closed/fined just probably haven’t been caught yet. I wouldn’t buy a coffee in a centra either these days, I’d only make my own.
    I just don’t want to die yet, so I can do without a takeaway or coffee if it helps that not happen, even though I’d love an Indian or a burger.

I’d be very dubious that takeaways are cleaning all the time, the ones that haven’t been closed/fined just probably haven’t been caught yet. I wouldn’t buy a coffee in a centra either these days, I’d only make my own.
    I just don’t want to die yet, so I can do without a takeaway or coffee if it helps that not happen, even though I’d love an Indian or a burger.

I still get an Indian or pizza delivered the odd time.

Cooking all the time can be a bit soul destroying when you're stuck at home, couple places still open in Westport.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

all the Chinese takeaways are closed
    Just because something may happen in your area of some town doesn't make it true for the rest of the country ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

My local Chinese is also open....chippy closed.

Given this intensive study, I think there is something in their kebabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Near me the takeaways that closed are the ones that were 'cash only' before all this. Can't take card payments and risk letting the tax man see what their real turnover is!

I read the risk from food is extremely low. The high temperatures kill any virus that may have been present.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I had Chinese food phase a few years ago but these days it's all about the Thai

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,333 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

I used to hear people bemoaning the food in Chinese take aways and how it doesn't represent real Chinese food.

On reflection the MSG wasn't all that bad.

Glazers Out!

Advertisement