Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Covid-19 restrictions.

• 28-03-2020 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Last night, we were told of new Covid-19 restrictions, however, Has the Minister actually made a new enforceable regulation under, the Health (Preservation and Protection and other Emergency Measures in the Public Interest) Act 2020.

So are the new restrictions officially law or are they just advisory.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Apparently new regulations made under the newly enacted Emergency Measures in the Public Interest (Covid-19) Act 2020 are with the AG to be checked for any legal anomaly and will be signed by the Minister today.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭cobhguy28

GM228 wrote: »
    Apparently new regulations made under the newly enacted Emergency Measures in the Public Interest (Covid-19) Act 2020 are with the AG to be checked for any legal anomaly and will be signed by the Minister today.

I was searching earlier and couldn't find them, so until they are signed they technically don't come into effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

cobhguy28 wrote: »
    I was searching earlier and couldn't find them, so until they are signed they technically don't come into effect.

I think the fact that your already looking for a loop hole means your an idiot .

Just suck it up and stop being a millennial

Mod
    Take it easy, doughef. Stay off this forum for 24 hours

doughef wrote: »
    I think the fact that your already looking for a loop hole means your an idiot .

Just suck it up and stop being a millennial

You must be on the wrong site because this is a legal dissuasion web forum. I am not looking for loop holes,I am discussing a factual situation. Has this actually come into effect, where are the guidelines, what powers have the gardai been given to enforce this.

I was looking at the Statutory Instruments Act, 1947 and S.3 is interesting,It says

"(b) the prosecutor does not prove that, at the date of the alleged contravention, notice of the making of the said statutory instrument had been published in the Iris Oifigiúil,

the charge shall be dismissed, unless the prosecutor satisfies the Court that at the said date reasonable steps had been taken for the purpose of bringing the purport of the said instrument to the notice of the public or of persons likely to be affected by it or of the defendant."

So the Tv speech last night would be enough to satisfy the reasonable steps to notify the public, without it been officially published in the Iris Oifigiúil,.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,998 ✭✭✭Caranica

Looks like idiots are testing this :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1243856491041472512?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

Where is this in the statute book?

What are the penalties? I cannot find anything that is actual law.

Stopped by the Gardai I am under no legal obligation to tell them where I am coming from or going to?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

A two weeks restriction is not unreasonable and would protect the most vulnerable. However there is never a time not to question the legal basis of any emergency measure. I've recently finish a book on US SC cases, one of which had to do with WW2 internment and restrictions on travel. Whilst again agruments could be made for/against it, that it was hardly challenged at the time was in retrospect considered, from a legal point of view, an aberration.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,088 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

anybody have the full combined text of the legislation? The bill is mostly comprised of amendments to existing legislation which makes it very hard to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

I heard on the news that the Garda Commissioner said they have no actual powers to enforce this, but he went on to make some vague statement that those who don't follow it will find the Gardaí have other powers to deal with this? :confused:

I agree with Manach that it is reasonable to critique these rules even if one fully intends to follow them. It does aggravate me a lot, however, that Simon Harris had the idiocy to say when questioned about restricting movement from Italy when the outbreak was getting quite severe there that freedom of movement was fundamental. Now none of us can even leave our houses. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

robman60 wrote: »
    I heard on the news that the Garda Commissioner said they have no actual powers to enforce this, but he went on to make some vague statement that those who don't follow it will find the Gardaí have other powers to deal with this? :confused:
    I assume they will tell you to go home and if you refuse find any reason under the sun to do you.

Nothing new there then.

robman60 wrote: »
    It does aggravate me a lot, however, that Simon Harris had the idiocy to say when questioned about restricting movement from Italy when the outbreak was getting quite severe there that freedom of movement was fundamental. Now none of us can even leave our houses. :rolleyes:

Free movement of people, goods and services between EU member states is a fundamental part of EU membership. That had nothing to do with us leaving our homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,990 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

cobhguy28 wrote: »
    I was looking at the Statutory Instruments Act, 1947 and S.3 is interesting,It says

"(b) the prosecutor does not prove that, at the date of the alleged contravention, notice of the making of the said statutory instrument had been published in the Iris Oifigiúil,

the charge shall be dismissed, unless the prosecutor satisfies the Court that at the said date reasonable steps had been taken for the purpose of bringing the purport of the said instrument to the notice of the public or of persons likely to be affected by it or of the defendant."

So the Tv speech last night would be enough to satisfy the reasonable steps to notify the public, without it been officially published in the Iris Oifigiúil,.
    Well, interesting question. Per post #2, regulations have been drafted and are currently with the AG's Department for review, after which they will be signed by the Minister. But none of this had happened when the Taoiseach give his speech.

Suppose the regs are signed on Sunday. On Monday I do something contrary to the regs. On Tuesday notice of the regulations is published in Irish Oifigiuil. On Wednesday I'm in court, charged with breaching the regs. (Justice is very quick in this scenario.) A key issue will be whether "reasonable steps had been taken for the purpose of bringing the purport of the said instrument" to my notice. Can the Taoiseac;'s TV speech count?

I would say not. At the time he gave the speech, there was no statutory instrument. It hadn't even been drafted. So he couldn't possibly have explained its effect. I would think "reasonable steps" could only be taken once the instrument had been prepared, and arguably once it had been made. So they could have published a notice in the daily papers on Monday, for instance, summarising the effect of the regulations and, in particular, the acts which it forbids or penalises - that would suffice. But they can't point to statement of policy intention made before there were any regulations whose purport could be explained.

Obviously, until the Minister actually signs them, there aren't any regulations in force, so nothing for the guards to enforce, and any attempt at a prosecution for anything done before the regs are actually made must fail.

But, suppose the regs are signed, and suppose reg 1 says, in effect, "these regulations enter into force immediately on signature". They will be published in Irish Oifigiuil at the first opportunity. IO comes out twice a week, on Tuesday and Friday.

Right. The regs are signed on Sunday. On Monday I do something in breach of the regs. On Tuesday the regs are published in in IO. On Wednesday I'm in court, charged with breaching the regs. (Justice is very quick in this scenario.)

An article in the Sunday Business Post, says that the new regulations were signed by the Minister last night. However no sign of them being available to actually read, to know exactly what they are. The official publication of legislation, according to http://www.irisoifigiuil.ie/ happens on a Tuesday and Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Caranica wrote: »
    Looks like idiots are testing this :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1243856491041472512?s=19

How does going for a drive on your own, or with the people you live with, and not getting out of the car other than at your house, impact physical distancing? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Squiggle wrote: »
    How does going for a drive on your own, or with the people you live with, and not getting out of the car other than at your house, impact physical distancing? :confused:

Because how do you tell the different between that and some twat going to the park/beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Squiggle wrote: »

Use more fuel, have to fill up more, lots of potential infection points at the filling station.

Higher chance of crashing your car while in it than sitting on your couch, meaning you and the emergency services are exposed to risk while also using valuable health worker time.

Car may also be parked a bit away from the house and could potentially mean you get infected between your front door and the car, or if you are infected means you may infect others on the way to your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭political analyst

Obviously, the reception that would follow a wedding or baptismal ceremony cannot take place at the moment. But couldn't the ceremony still take place with a minimum number of witnesses. After all, the banning of the ceremony would be unconstitutional, i.e. right to marry, religious freedom, wouldn't it?

Last night on 'Claire Byrne Live', Fair City actor Jim Bartley said this is a 'war'. But Abraham Lincoln was US President during a civil war in his country and the judiciary still ruled that he had no power to suspend habeus corpus.

Obviously, the reception that would follow a wedding or baptismal ceremony cannot take place at the moment. But couldn't the ceremony still take place with a minimum number of witnesses. After all, the banning of the ceremony would be unconstitutional, i.e. right to marry, religious freedom, wouldn't it?

Last night on 'Claire Byrne Live', Fair City actor Jim Bartley said this is a 'war'. But Abraham Lincoln was US President during a civil war in his country and the judiciary still ruled that he had no power to suspend habeus corpus.

what "right to marry" is enshrined in the constitution? if you are going to object to these laws on the basis on constitutionality surely the natural place to start would be the right to peaceful assembly? But even that is not an absolute right
    The right of the citizens to assemble peaceably and without arms.

Provision may be made by law to prevent or control meetings which are determined in accordance with law to be calculated to cause a breach of the peace or to be a danger or nuisance to the general public and to prevent or control meetings in the vicinity of either House of the Oireachtas.

what "right to marry" is enshrined in the constitution? if you are going to object to these laws on the basis on constitutionality surely the natural place to start would be the right to peaceful assembly? But even that is not an absolute right

Not all constitutional rights are explicitly mentioned in the Constitution. Are you denying that there is a constitutional right to marry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,990 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Even if there is an unenumerated right to marry, that's not a right to marry immediately or a right to marry whenever you please.

There's an enumerated right of access to the courts in the Constitution. That's not inconsistent with the courts being closed for a period, either on account of a lockdown in a pandemic or, more boringly, on account of the periodic vacations for which the rules of court provide. By the same token, while it's arguable that there's a constitutional right to marry, it's harder to argue that there's a constitutional right to marry before 13 April.

Ryan vs The Attorney General [1965] IR 294, (the fluoridation case) confirmed the right to marry was an unenumerated right under Article 40 of the Constitution.
    Secondly, there are many personal rights of the citizen which follow from the Christian and democratic nature of the State which are not mentioned in Article 40 at all, the right to free movement within the State and the right to marry are examples of this

By the way for anyone wondering there were no ministerial regulations published in today's Iris Oifigiúil.

Ryan vs The Attorney General [1965] IR 294, (the fluoridation case) confirmed the right to marry was an unenumerated right under Article 40 of the Constitution.

what does that right entail? has it ever been tested?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Tails142

You have to give 3 months notice to marry anyway or obtain permission from the courts due to extenuating circumstances such as terminal illness

what does that right entail? has it ever been tested?

It consists of a Constitutional right to marriage!

It was tested in 2006 and saw S3(2) of the Deceased Wife's Sister's Marriage Act 1907 being declared unconstitutional in O'Shea vs Ireland (17 October 2006, unreported) High Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,233 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Indeed, it would be hard to have family rights (previously interpreted very close to marital rights) if you couldn't create a family.

I think there was something in last week's emergency act about weddings.

Why didn't our government stop all flights from Italy much earlier? It is sheer stupidity that so many Italians were allowed to visit this country - even after the Ireland v Italy rugby match had been called off!

Why didn't our government stop all flights from Italy much earlier? It is sheer stupidity that so many Italians were allowed to visit this country - even after the Ireland v Italy rugby match had been called off!

EU membership means you cannot unilaterally block nationals of another EU state from arriving. That and parts of Italy being in very short commuting distance to international airports in other countries.

• Advertisement

Caranica wrote: »
    EU membership means you cannot unilaterally block nationals of another EU state from arriving. That and parts of Italy being in very short commuting distance to international airports in other countries.

But can't freedom of movement be suspended in emergencies?! That's what happened after the November 2015 Paris terrorist attacks.

Advertisement