Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Creche charging for child's place during closure.

• 13-03-2020 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭

Got a text today from the manager advising that the "board of management" have decided that normal fees will apply during the school closure. Wtf? Is this being imposed by all creches? Paying for xmas week was bad enough but 2-5 weeks. They can feck off

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I’m well past that stage of my life but damn that’s hard to take.

Many households may be down in income because of kids home as someone needs to be with them.

Many people are being put on notice or reduced hours too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Guffy wrote: »
    Got a text today from the manager advising that the "board of management" have decided that normal fees will apply during the school closure. Wtf? Is this being imposed by all creches? Paying for xmas week was bad enough but 2-5 weeks. They can feck off

I agree with you completely. its gonna be dog eat dog in the time ahead. there will be a blood bath before this is all over. job losses e.t.c. they will be looking for children to fill places when through. best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

The place near us are charging reduced fees. No wages, no electricity etc. They haven't agreed a fee yet, but it will just be a fee to stop them from closure and and to keep everyone happy. It will be reviewed again on 1st April.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

Job losses is exactly why I am happy to pay my creche. I don't want the staff there to lose their jobs because they can't afford to keep them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Best part of 2.5 weeks, load of bollox.
    Its a total cop out, get the "we have to pay staff and costs" etc, but I had been told previously that most staff dont even get paid if not in work!!
    I came across this before when there was a closure and I was met with a point blank blunt response, I get they will have certain costs they will possibly pay on an ongoing basis, maybe monthly like insurance, but nothing like the complete costs put onto parents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Minier81 wrote: »
    Job losses is exactly why I am happy to pay my creche. I don't want the staff there to lose their jobs because they can't afford to keep them.

I've paid creche for the entire month of March and told by a staff member yesterday they're not getting paid during the closure. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭Guffy

Minier81 wrote: »

Are the staff getting paid? Why aren't they signing on like everyone else? If my place closes i get nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

My wife is a community crèche worker, she's been told it's unsure whether she'll be paid in full, 70_80% of pay is the figure is all they can manage as they are seeking funding to cover more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

My GF works in a creche, she's not getting paid.

My child attends a different creche, staff their won't be paid.

They were all in the dole office today

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

My kids are in their late 20s but it irked my 25 years ago that crèches charged a fee to keep the place open for your child while they closed for two weeks at Christmas! Every other business in the world adds this to the weekly free and you don't feel so ripped off.

Can i suggest getting together with other parents and refusing to pay this money. It's a crazy fee BUT paying them for Christmas has gotten them in the habit of getting money for nothing

• Advertisement

As. Nancy Ragen says just say no

Are the staff getting paid? Why aren't they signing on like everyone else? If my place closes i get nothing.

They proably should get something, I think the issue is that staff arent being paid and parenst are still expected to pay

My GF works in a creche, she's not getting paid.

My child attends a different creche, staff their won't be paid.

They were all in the dole office today

Christ, you'd think they'd be able to sign on online, business should have an agreed code that its closed and no pay and then issue that to staff to submit online, save front of house staff in contact and people not getting payed being in contact with everyone, Im I the only one who thinks of this stuff??

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    My kids are in their late 20s but it irked my 25 years ago that crèches charged a fee to keep the place open for your child while they closed for two weeks at Christmas! Every other business in the world adds this to the weekly free and you don't feel so ripped off.

Can i suggest getting together with other parents and refusing to pay this money. It's a crazy fee BUT paying them for Christmas has gotten them in the habit of getting money for nothing

Im outright going to start bringing this up with parents I come across, in front of the creche manager if need be, I know some will be like my wife and be too embarrassed to oppose it shut me down as ts an uncomfortable subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

It's a hure of a situation. We pay a month in advance so March is paid already. If they tell us we have to pay the full fees for April I dont know what we will do. We are fortunate that our jobs will allow remote working for as long as it is required but the thought of paying €1600 in April with no benefit from it is sickening. The problem is if we decide to pull them out what do we do when (if) this dies down? The creche is great and most of the staff are lovely plus its difficult to find childcare where we are. I'd be happy enough to pay a reduced rate, maybe 60%, enough to pay staff but if this goes on long term I just dont know

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

My brother is a childcare worker and he has had to sign on, I would be cancelling my Direct Debit if a creche said this to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I have zero issue paying fees IF the staff are being paid. I’ve a massive issue if they are not

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I feel the same, if staff are been paid then I could deal with it but no way would I pay it if the staff are being temporarily laid off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Are there really creches out there charging full fees but not paying their employees? If so that's absolutely disgusting, to be honest I'd be taking my child out of there as a matter of principle.

I believe our creche is charging full fees but only so that they can keep paying their staff. They did invite any parents not being paid for this period to contact them privately to discuss options, which is decent of them.

Exactly what would you be paying for if the creche is not open?

Any creche owner with a bit of cop on will have temporarily laid off all staff. Staff will get the dole for the few weeks and their tax free allowance for the few weeks will be spread out over the rest of the year. Most are on minimum wage so the dole won't be a massive drop in wages. Factor in no travel or lunch costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Any creche owner with a bit of cop on will have temporarily laid off all staff. Staff will get the dole for the few weeks and their tax free allowance for the few weeks will be spread out over the rest of the year. Most are on minimum wage so the dole won't be a massive drop in wages. Factor in no travel or lunch costs.

How much is the dole for a creche worker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

That's the attitude!

If the crèche is trying to pay it's staff then they should be supported if you can afford it, if you can't talk to them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭sooty1

Quote: Staff will get the dole for the few weeks and their tax free allowance for the few weeks will be spread out over the rest of the year. Most are on minimum wage so the dole won't be a massive drop in wages. Factor in no travel or lunch costs.

What about creche workers who don't have the 2 years PRSI paid and have to apply for Jobseekers Allowance where their parents income is means tested - some of them will come with next to nothing .........So for lots of these workers there is a massive drop in wages.

Sooty

sooty1 wrote: »
    Quote: Staff will get the dole for the few weeks and their tax free allowance for the few weeks will be spread out over the rest of the year. Most are on minimum wage so the dole won't be a massive drop in wages. Factor in no travel or lunch costs.

What about creche workers who don't have the 2 years PRSI paid and have to apply for Jobseekers Allowance where their parents income is means tested - some of them will come with next to nothing .........So for lots of these workers there is a massive drop in wages.

Sooty

What would any other worker do in such situations? My daughter is in childcare & it seems that the vast majority were laid off around the country.

boc121 wrote: »
    How much is the dole for a creche worker?

About two thirds of their normal take home pay but they have no travel & lunch expenses. Maybe you don't realize how badly paid they are but going on the dole for a few weeks isn't going to make a huge difference to them at the end of the day.

As mentioned already my daughter is in childcare & again across the country many of the parents have engaged staff from their local creche to mind their children so both parents can still work. These deals were worked out on the QT earlier this week when the rumors of a shutdown started. My daughter is part of childcare Facebook groups with members all over Ireland & it looks like very few childcare workers will suffer. Many will make more tax free money over the next few weeks than they would if the creche was still open.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

sooty1 wrote: »

Sooty

I think any drop in wages is far harder for lower paid workers, they won't have anything like the safety net others will and are more likely to be renting rather than owning their home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Cancel your direct debit or standing order.

But be prepared to have to look for a new place when business resumes as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

AulWan wrote: »
    Cancel your direct debit or standing order.

But be prepared to have to look for a new place when business resumes as normal.

That’s what we did and they have since been in touch Asking for reduced payment of 50e per child ..
    no way I would pay full amount at this time

Our creche are not charging..
    Letter sent out stated no staff wages. No creche fees for closure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

We got a call within 30 mins of Leo's speech to remind us that fees would still have to be paid - including the 7% increase announced a couple of weeks ago.

If only they were as quick to react when we had a question for them.

Daz_ wrote: »
    That’s what we did and they have since been in touch Asking for reduced payment of 50e per child ..
    no way I would pay full amount at this time

That's a reasonable request but full fees is taking parents for fools

• Advertisement

Is there any legal recourse for this, have no alternative option, tbh, if they were paying staff, Id be less unhappy, but its not simple to get straightforward answer as staff are reluctant to give details, some may get paid and others not.

Advertisement