Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

~10km OW Swims

• 31-07-2019 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭

Long time since posted here. Used to do a lot of OW swimming/racing before I moved to cycling and triathlon racing. Hit a lot of the goals I set in those sports and now want to go back to OW swimming in 2020 and hit some goals I been thinking about for a while.

When I was racing OW the biggest distance I did was ~7km.
    I always wanted to race a 10km race but never got the chance.

Its a long distance and as a result small number of races in Ireland.
    Besides Lough Dan and the ILDSA Lough Erne, are there any other typical 10km swims in Ireland?
    Also any options in the UK? I'll be planning in racing in togs :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Live in England so can suggest a few 10k ones over this way..

Dart10k in Devon. Stunning swim down river Dartmoor, spectacular setting and very well organised. Is down a river, however, so swims like a shorter race.

Great North Swim on Lake Windermere. Haven't done this before (have swum the length of the lake, however. Absolutely beautiful but can be cold) but heard good things from friends.

Dock2Dock, London. Pretty cool setting in London. But tow floats are mandatory, stupidly.

Bridge to Bridge on River Thames. 14km but downstream as well so swims closer to a 10km

And have to mention the 10k swim my OW club does in September in Poole Bay. East Dorset Open Water Swim Club. Very low key, no entrance fee to speak of. Not a race really, just a swim. But Poole Bay is gorgeous. And it's my club so had to mention it :)

All of the above have non-wetsuit options. Probably will need to prove to organisers you're properly acclimatised. Not as many hardy swimmers this side of the sea, so you'll likely be in the minority without a wetsuit in any race unfortunately.

There are others I've heard of, but the above are the ones I have experience of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Live in England so can suggest a few 10k ones over this way..

Dart10k in Devon. Stunning swim down river Dartmoor, spectacular setting and very well organised. Is down a river, however, so swims like a shorter race.

Great North Swim on Lake Windermere. Haven't done this before (have swum the length of the lake, however. Absolutely beautiful but can be cold) but heard good things from friends.

Dock2Dock, London. Pretty cool setting in London. But tow floats are mandatory, stupidly.

Bridge to Bridge on River Thames. 14km but downstream as well so swims closer to a 10km

And have to mention the 10k swim my OW club does in September in Poole Bay. East Dorset Open Water Swim Club. Very low key, no entrance fee to speak of. Not a race really, just a swim. But Poole Bay is gorgeous. And it's my club so had to mention it :)

All of the above have non-wetsuit options. Probably will need to prove to organisers you're properly acclimatised. Not as many hardy swimmers this side of the sea, so you'll likely be in the minority without a wetsuit in any race unfortunately.

There are others I've heard of, but the above are the ones I have experience of.

Thanks some great options. Will keep an eye on their 2020 dates

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭audiRon

Carlingford Open Water Festival at the end of this month hosts the Ulster 10KM champs. Great swim and well organised. Did it last year highly recommended.
    Battle for Carlingford, in the Lough has various distances run in May and leads up to a 10hour swim on the Monday. Again recommended, well organised event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

audiRon wrote: »
    Carlingford Open Water Festival at the end of this month hosts the Ulster 10KM champs. Great swim and well organised. Did it last year highly recommended.
    Battle for Carlingford, in the Lough has various distances run in May and leads up to a 10hour swim on the Monday. Again recommended, well organised event.

Great to known, not too far from my home

Advertisement