Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do Irish people support English teams?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Greyfox wrote: »
    How is it pathetic when every LOI fan knows the English championship is a far superior league to anything Ireland will ever have? What makes you think anybody has the right to tell someone what they should be doing with there free time? What is someone from Tallaght doesnt like the way some Shamrock rovers fans cause trouble after a match?

The lack of knowledge here speaks volumes.

blade1 wrote: »
    Seems like a lot of begrudery from LOI fans here.

Maybe but we have a product that has enormous potential yet a vast majority refuse to support it. If Ireland were a normal football country with a culture clubs from our league would be regulars in European competition group stages IMO.

blade1 wrote: »
    Just look at the Sean Cox situation.
    Yeah nobody gave a damn about him :rolleyes:

Honestly that whole situation is baffling. While nobody deserves that to happen at any time if you "support" an english club abroad there is an expectation that trouble will follow. Then to have our national stadium hold a fundraising game on the SAME night as a round of domestic fixtures shows the complete lack of respect and fundamental understanding the FAI have for football.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

How did "we" do today?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Edgware wrote: »
    How did "we" do today?

Liverpool won 2-0. Great season for us. 2 players sharing a golden boot too.

But it’s not over, Madrid in a few weeks to look forward to now!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

How did "we" do today?
    Sick as a parrot!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,980 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

How did "we" do today?

Took the first set, but in the second half, they did a lucky bullseye and the rest of the dominoes fell like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    The lack of knowledge here speaks volumes.

Nonsense, I'm just living in the real world, I've nothing against the LOI but Sky televisions marketing machine and the media have put LOI in a really bad place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Greyfox wrote: »
    Nonsense, I'm just living in the real world, I've nothing against the LOI but Sky televisions marketing machine and the media have put LOI in a really bad place.

So now it's marketing and media not quality. Could we at least get bit of consistency from you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Just came across this now.

Old argument. Like someone above I got rid of Sky, other than for racing, as it really is mind numbing in its wall to wall EPL. Complete with sound effects for the crowd!

As for LOI v televised EPL, as mainly GAA person, I look at very few matches on TV other than some of big hurling games, There is just no comparison to being in Parnell Park or wherever. Same applies to watching your local LOI club.

The quality thing doesn't really hold up either. If it did then there would be no English soccer outside of EPL as the people who go to see Torquay or Cambridge would just watch whatever crap is on the telly. Same applies to Spain, Germany, Italy etc. People just like the community part of it.

Irish people are really bad supporters of all live sport. Last night there were 9,000 in Kilkenny for a match but if Kilkenny get to AI final there will be demand for 40,000 tickets!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Bonniedog wrote: »

The quality thing doesn't really hold up either. If it did then there would be no English soccer outside of EPL as the people who go to see Torquay or Cambridge would just watch whatever crap is on the telly. Same applies to Spain, Germany, Italy etc. People just like the community part of it.
    Just wondering, but did you pick Torquay or Cambridge randomly, or were you a fan of Soccer AM on Sky? A few years ago, the presenters were Helen Chamberlain (a Torquay United fan) and Max Rushden, a Cambridge United fan. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Just wondering, but did you pick Torquay or Cambridge randomly, or were you a fan of Soccer AM on Sky? A few years ago, the presenters were Helen Chamberlain (a Torquay United fan) and Max Rushden, a Cambridge United fan. :D

Mentioned Torquay because I watched brilliant Netflix doc called "Losers" which had bit about them, and actually sums up what it means to follow a "crap" little team in any sport (try the Dublin hurlers :)

And Cambridge because I knew woman from Cambridge who was absolute fanatic and supported not the glamorous United but City! Don't know if they're even in league an more. Must check.

Anyway, she derived huge joy and pain from that as opposed to people who form ersatz attachments to EPL teams. And yes, I was once that soldier and followed Leeds in the 70s, so I do get the lifetime attachment part and that there are Irish connections to various clubs. Leeds thing was definitely started through Giles I would say.

(Cambridge City always been non league according to Wikipedia. )

• Advertisement

Hurry hurry, Unira have a new shirt out celebrating the Treble, a must have for all the kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Hurry hurry, Unira have a new shirt out celebrating the Treble, a must have for all the kids

Unira?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Unira?

It's how some "salt of de earth" Dubs might say United. Usually have seen it written as Unireh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Omackeral wrote: »
    It's how some "salt of de earth" Dubs might say United. Usually have seen it written as Unireh

Oh I know. I just wanted him to explain how stupid it sounds.

Surprised a Maureen or brenda Rodgers wasn't thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Here is a synopsis of why Irish people support English clubs from 2016

https://www.balls.ie/football/irish-english-league-fans-353235-353235

I think they should have went into more detail on the Liverpool - Man United sections.

About 10 years of age during successful years - or failing that, thier father supported them.

I am surprised Arsenal does not get a mention - glory years recently - plus 80's on Brady - Stapelton - O'Leary.

IMO I think nearly all Irish fans of English teams are glory hunters or consumers of a brand. It feels wrong to call them supporters. Consumers is the probably the best word.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Irish people should support Italian football teams, why? because their food is better than English food and their flag is very similar to ours, they also make lovely wine, and the Pope lives in Rome, and he's not English ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Wiiiiberpool ..

• Registered Users Posts: 27,786 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

IMO I think nearly all Irish fans of English teams are glory hunters or consumers of a brand. It feels wrong to call them supporters. Consumers is the probably the best word.

"The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
    - Danny Blanchflower

Football is about glory. If by using the phrase glory hunters it was meant as a cheap insult it just shows up your limited parochial view of the game.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
    - Danny Blanchflower

Football is about glory. If by using the phrase glory hunters it was meant as a cheap insult it just shows up your limited parochial view of the game.

" What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes. It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city. It’s a small boy clambering up stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his father’s hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him and, without being able to do a thing about it, falling in love."
    -Bobby Robson

You also know fine well that the glory he is talking about is completely different the glory referred to in glory hunters. Glory hunters are after exactly what he says the game is not about, winning, look at Liverpool last night that was winning not glory, the game was ****, people may well have died of boredom, exactly what Danny says the game is not about.

D14Rugby wrote: »
    You also know fine well that the glory he is talking about is completely different the glory referred to in glory hunters. Glory hunters are after exactly what he says the game is not about, winning, look at Liverpool last night that was winning not glory, the game was ****, people may well have died of boredom, exactly what Danny says the game is not about.

Seriously? Liverpool's european campaign wasn't glorious? Pull the other one.

No one expects every minute of every match to have a goal. A 0-0 draw can be a glorious result for the underdog.

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Seriously? Liverpool's european campaign wasn't glorious? Pull the other one.

No one expects every minute of every match to have a goal.

If you think that final was glorious then you've set the bar seriously low. I'm working off the quote you posted here.

"doing things in style and with a flourish" neither of those things can be applied to anything done in that final, Liverpool won and grand well played but by your quote they did not win in a glorious way

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I don't support any English team

IMO I think nearly all Irish fans of English teams are glory hunters or consumers of a brand. It feels wrong to call them supporters.

If you watch you team on tv and care about wheter they win or lose your a supporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

If you think that final was glorious then you've set the bar seriously low. I'm working off the quote you posted here.

"doing things in style and with a flourish" neither of those things can be applied to anything done in that final, Liverpool won and grand well played but by your quote they did not win in a glorious way

TBF liverpool have`nt been particularly successful in recent years(until yesterday!) so people supporting them are hardly "glory hunters"-here in England they are disliked by the majority of fans of other teams as they are looked upon as a bunch of constant whingers who have a god given right to success.

RobMc59 wrote: »
    TBF liverpool have`nt been particularly successful in recent years(until yesterday!) so people supporting them are hardly "glory hunters"-here in England they are disliked by the majority of fans of other teams as they are looked upon as a bunch of constant whingers who have a god given right to success.

They haven't been successful in a winning leagues was but they won a champions league in 05 and were consistently top four until 09 which is when a lot of their fans here would have started following them. The difference in the amount of Liverpool jerseys you'd in 05 or now and in 2010 is staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,083 ✭✭✭✭blade1

They haven't been successful in a winning leagues was but they won a champions league in 05 and were consistently top four until 09 which is when a lot of their fans here would have started following them. The difference in the amount of Liverpool jerseys you'd in 05 or now and in 2010 is staggering.
    Merch is huge business these days.

Liverpool F.C. A good cup team

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭65535

I have to say I find it very odd that someone would 'support' a non local team.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I think that all soccer teams in Britain and beyond are 'owned' by people who 'buy' players.

So essentially the richest owner can buy the best players ?

Doesn't sound like what football was supposed to all about at all.

65535 wrote: »
    I have to say I find it very odd that someone would 'support' a non local team.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I think that all soccer teams in Britain and beyond are 'owned' by people who 'buy' players.

So essentially the richest owner can buy the best players ?

Doesn't sound like what football was supposed to all about at all.

Its been that way since 1893 at least. Back then some people found the concept of professional clubs odd too.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfer_(association_football)

• Advertisement

65535 wrote: »

Every good football club in the world buys players, including the LOI clubs.

Advertisement