Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Little ideas to help improve society

Options
  • 09-03-2019 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any ideas to help improve society and our standard of living?

I don't mean political, economical or major ideas. But little ideas which could benefit everyday life.

One I had was that all smart phones should come with a preloaded video and instructions, approved by medical experts which shows how to perform basic first aid. Shows how to do CPR, use a defib and other first aid. It should also be accessible beside the emergency call button you can access when a phone is locked.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Be good to animals, humans are a lost cause

• Registered Users Posts: 14,684 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Every pub should have a camera so I can see who's down the town before I go in.
    If it looks shyte I'll know I'm not missing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Definitely educate kids together in terms of religion, race, gender and class. It's too late in the game for places like Eton to exist alongside schools that can't offer A-levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,805 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Treat everyone equally

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Panthro wrote: »
    Every pub should have a camera so I can see who's down the town before I go in.
    If it looks shyte I'll know I'm not missing anything.

Also an app. that would tell me when to stop drinking. It should be able to know if I'm in work in the morning or am on a weekend binge.

• Advertisement

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Definitely educate kids together in terms of religion, race, gender and class.

+1, a snobbery exists in some Gaelscoils that isn't healthy when those children reach adulthood.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

People taking pride of their town/city/countryside -- Stop littering, and picking up rubbish. Instead of letting it accumulate into a dump...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

+1, a snobbery exists in some Gaelscoils that isn't healthy when those children reach adulthood.

Gaelscoils are hardly as exclusive as the fee paying schools.

We’ll never educate everybody together. Class and regional differences are too deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I read somewhere that in Nordic countries they put community playgrounds in nursing homes so the old and young can interact and it keeps the old people happy.

I thought it was genius in its simplicity. Wouldn’t it be great if we could do more simple things like that here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Go back to phones with capability to make and receive call only .. To much time spent looking at or following totally trivial sh..e on them .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ginandtonicsky

Ban smartphones from pubs and restaurants in the same way of the smoking ban. Designated areas like beer gardens where people can scroll through their Instagram and ignore their current company or take 435 group selfies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Youdunnit

Go back to phones with capability to make and receive call only .. To much time spent looking at or following totally trivial sh..e on them .

Still need text and WhatsApp for group activities and organization

Agree about all the social media rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Ban smartphones from pubs and restaurants in the same way of the smoking ban. Designated areas like beer gardens where people can scroll through their Instagram and ignore their current company or take 435 group selfies.

Can’t see a reason for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Put away your phones and talk to one another.

Believe me, the art of conversation in real time is dying and you will feel all the better for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,976 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The hours in our schools that are dedicated to RE and PE. Switch them around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Power bomb Ray D'arcy through a table.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Youdunnit wrote: »
    Still need text and WhatsApp for group activities and organization

Agree about all the social media rubbish
    would sort of agree with that , but I was taking part in lots of group activities long before mobiles were essential

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Rennaws wrote: »
    I read somewhere that in Nordic countries they put community playgrounds in nursing homes so the old and young can interact and it keeps the old people happy.

I thought it was genius in its simplicity. Wouldn’t it be great if we could do more simple things like that here.

In the Netherlands third level students can live cheaply in nursing homes as well.

The students get cheap rent and the residents get more company, seems like a good idea too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Rennaws wrote: »

It''ll never happen cause it doesn't make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,484 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Teach people how to change radio and TV stations. Or show them where the Off button is. This will save them daily suffering which they have to share with us on the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

How about the law starts coming down hard, on people who commit crimes for one, encourage kids to go outside and play instead of letting them play on xbox and phones, maybe show videos in school of how important it is to recycle and pick up your rubbish . Stop rewarding layabouts and the Margaret Cashs of the world with money and houses which are paid for by us .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'd love an initiative when I could connect my kid with an elderly person. My son doesn't have a grandfather and he'd love one, I'm sure there are lots of older people who would love to spend time with a child or teen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

eviltwin wrote: »
    I'd love an initiative when I could connect my kid with an elderly person. My son doesn't have a grandfather and he'd love one, I'm sure there are lots of older people who would love to spend time with a child or teen.
    Triple post

deleted triple post

There's lots of old lads gone to Thailand and the Phillipinnes. Sure they would love a child nearer home

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Giveaway wrote: »
    There's lots of old lads gone to Thailand and the Phillipinnes. Sure they would love a child nearer home

Lots of young ones have gone too and it ain't for sight seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Lots of young ones have gone too and it ain't for sight seeing.

They go for golf don't they - don't they.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There's a nursing home near you.

Ring up the head nurse and ask if they have anyone suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Issue every single child with an electric toothbrush as soon as they're able to use one.

I always used to think they were a gimmick till a couple of years ago.

Discovered them in my late '40s & wondered why I'd never used one before.:confused:

It would have saved me loads in dental bills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

As much as possible, always think of yourself as being part of a society of many others. A realtively simplistic idea that is evidently beyond the ken of many people.

Advertisement