Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/reels/tab//004625669/004625669_00415.pdf
    http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/reels/tab//004625669/004625669_00431.pdf
    Can anyone tell me what is the word after "John O' Neill". Very first line.
    looks like it ends in ...ner
    I just cannot make it out.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

BigCon wrote: »
    Any ideas for this one?

jhzsls.jpg

First entry on the page - https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634795#page/194/mode/1up

Michael of Michael Connors and Bridget Mahon (?)
    Sponsors Mary Corban and Thomas Tuite

hblock21 wrote: »
    http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/reels/tab//004625669/004625669_00415.pdf
    http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/reels/tab//004625669/004625669_00431.pdf
    Thanks

& Partners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Vetch wrote: »
    Michael of Michael Connors and Bridget Mahon (?)
    Sponsors Mary Corban and Thomas Tuite

I tried, and couldn't. Very impressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

Vetch wrote: »
    hblock21 wrote: »
    Thanks

& Partners
    Thank you.
    I've never come across that before.

• Advertisement

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I tried, and couldn't. Very impressed!

You're very kind but it could be wrong! It's a guess to get it started anyway.

I only noticed after posting that the second entry on the page seems to be for a twin of the first?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Rootsireland has it as

Michael Connors of John Connors and Bridget Walsh
    Sp. May Corban Tedy Quirk

Grennston

and then
    Judy Connors of John Connors (mother not recorded)
    Sp. Teady Quirk and Judy Ryan

Grennstown

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Hi,
    Record No. 362, I am wondering what the cause of death for William McGrath? Acute ....... Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

Can anyone read the age of the deceased on this death record from irishgenealogy.ie? Their transcription says 69 but it looks more like 89 to me. But frankly it doesn't really look like either 6 or 8, especially comparing it with the 8 in the 1872 date handwritten on far left and far right of record. Thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

montgo wrote: »
    Hi,
    Record No. 362, I am wondering what the cause of death for William McGrath? Acute ....... Thanks.

Gosh what dreadful writing.
    Acute something. Could be an M at the start, but I think it's an N.
    Could the next line be Sudden paralysis?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

Thanks for that, Hermy. But if it's 8, it looks so different from the other two 8's on the record. And it matters as there are several of the name.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I agree, it does look different but I've often seen 8 written like that before.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Agree on the 8, sometimes they are even what looks to us like sideways.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

spurious wrote: »
    Gosh what dreadful writing.
    Acute something. Could be an M at the start, but I think it's an N.
    Could the next line be Sudden paralysis?

Agree that the writing is very difficult to read, I can't even decipher the Registrar's own name. Sudden paralysis looks about right. William's age was a bit awry but has a correction on the margin! Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭laoisman11

This is a much more recent one compared to many put up here, but would someone be so kind as to decipher what is written in brackets after "Uimh 4"?

The birth was registered as the National Maternity Hospital.

Thanks in advance!

tm7djkT.PNG

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Deis?

DUB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Deis or Deo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Given the bit on front of the brackets is Irish "Uimh 4", we could assume the bit between the brackets is also in Irish?

• Advertisement

AFAIK Holles Street is District Number 4 in South Dublin on certs in English, so it should be something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Just a Guess...

"Deas" = "South"

Seeing more of the page might help with handwriting.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

This is another example of why more of the original page needs to be seen, not, in this case, for writing comparison, as it's legible enough, but context. The word in question appears to be 'Deis' but is that short for 'deisceart' as referred to above? What are the places named on individual birth entries and what range of area do they cover??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Well, I am always saying it: please post the full page.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭laoisman11

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Well, I am always saying it: please post the full page.

Apologies, I was not aware of the need to post the full page, I should have checked this out on the forum.

The birth cert is my own birth cert which I need to get translated and for this reason, I do not feel comfortable posting it in its entirety. The phrase in the image is repeated again further down in the birth cert and appears almost identical.

Thanks to all for your assistance, Deis as an abbreviation of Deisceart would appear to be the most logical answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Caxton

I'd appreciate any help with interpreting this baptism entry and could it refer to twins?

I read it as 'Dec 6th. Fanny & ???? Dan Carty & Margaret Delany'.

0DLLhSe.jpg

Here's the link to the original image.

Thanks

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Bridget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Bridget

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Caxton

Thanks guys, Bridget look good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Caxton wrote: »
    could it refer to twins?

If it was, there should be two pairs of sponsors.

Advertisement