Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Vision Box and RTE NL DTT

• 20-01-2011 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

I lost my Kippure reception towards the end of last year when it was obviously nulled in my direction. Due to the recent "lift" Three Rock has been coming in loud and clear with me the last few days, (I take it it's Three Rock, as analogue TV3 and TG4 from there have been perfect the last few days too) so I've been able to watch DTT for the first time since October/November. While it's fine on my LG TV's, Previously it was possible to watch the channels, though not record them on a BT Vision Box - now however if I re-scan the box (did it to add 3e) it crashes when it reaches ch 54. Just wondering if anyone else on here "from the North" using a BT Vision box is having the same problem. I did write to BT, but I won't hold my breath waiting for a reply. It's not the change of service type, as the channels were there all throughout last year and 2009 and re-scans up until Kippure vanished on me, were all fine. (The last re-scan had the return of the "Test Card", just before 3e appeared.) Seems odd that BT would cripple reception of "extra channels", though the firmware in the box did update just after Christmas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I think there are at least two completely different BT vision boxes.

I could be wrong, but I think the original is Windows CE based (Philips?) and doesn't work very well, and a later one (but not sure if ever deployed) was a Linux based Motorola box.

Since the BT vision is for BT's hybrid UK VOD/IPTV using Freeview for the basic channels, I'd imagine they have zero interest in making it work for Irish service. I suspect it only has the MPEG4 HW/Codec to save bandwidth on the IPTV/VOD aspect. Does it even do HD? Saorview is inherently a service designed for HD. While RTE 2 content is still SD, it's now transmitted in 1440x 1080i 25fps 50Hz MPEG4 H.264 AVC Level 4 format (HDTV). If the BTvision only does SD, then it may only support Level3 of the codec.

The BT vision AFIAK is not sold as a Setbox but as part of a IPTV/VOD service? If so why whould they support "other channels"?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Another 0x1 problem no doubt, they find 'something' on channel 54 and cannot 'interpret' the broadcast flag and then crash.

BT could tweak the firmware to allow the box to scan and tune a 0x16 as well as a 0x1 flag, this problem will also affect them along the south coast of England where 0x16 flags will come in from France.

Both versions appear to support HDMI, HDCP, and HD (MPEG4 AVC H.264 L4)

This one is first version of the BT Vision box (colour grey, since February 2007?), not the black version released in December 2009.
    It is the Windows CE version. Definitely made by Philips and has loads of issues. None of the problems will be fixed.

http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/btvisionboxspecs.html
    HDMI 1.1 output (High Definition Multi-Media Interface) with HDCP copy protection

btvision_vbox.jpg

Video Decoders:
    MPEG4 AVC HP@L4 for 50Hz
    MPEG-2 MP@HL for 50Hz
    Microsoft Windows Media Vc1
    MPEG4 pt10 (H.264) in MPEG TS
    MPEG1 Video
    MPEG-2 DVB compliant up to MP@ML

Audio decoders:
    MPEG1 Layer II (2.0) (aka MP2)
    Dolby Digital
    Audio MPEG 1 Layer I, II, III (MP3)
    Dolby Digital (downmix to stereo)
    MPEG4 Audio AAC HE mono/stereo (aka HE-AAC, AAC+)

Last Software of the pre Dec 2009 Grey box before BBC iPlayer update:
    • TV2 Client Version: 1.6.25077.83x (roll-out started in August 2009)
    • Platform OS/Version: WinCE/5.0.1400

I doubt BT are interested. It would be like expecting Sky to add small software change to Digibox "Sky HD" to make it work with Saorsat.

I'm boggled that it supports MPEG1 (essentially Video CD format!)

Second Version: Released December 2009. Might be Motorola, Linux.
    Does NOT do DVB-T2 (Freeview HD)
    http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/btvisionbox.html
    BT Vision launched a revised version of the original set-top box in December 2009.

This new box sees a colour change from grey to shiny black. Some were expecting the second version of Vision V+ box to support DVB-T2 (needed for Freeview HD), but this one doesn't.
    btvision_box_black01.jpg

What is does offer is a slight re-design, a new colour, and some changes to the components to make the box a reported 12% more energy efficient. In 2008, BT announced that Motorola would replace Philips as manufacturer of the Vision boxes, so this new box may by a Motorola - we can't confirm that at this stage.

SRB, which box have you got?

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

Hi Watty - I have the first box - (the second one has never worked with the RTE NL DTT service, the picture freezes after about 30 secs viewing- sister in law has one) it's not a service type issue as the box happily stored the channels when Kippure first started DTT and it was happy when the service type changed the first time to 0X16, it also stored the channels happily until I lost Kippure. It does (or rather did) display RTE2 in HD with no problem.
    The box uses a BT EPG rather than the one in the broadcast stream and I suspect BT may have done something to prevent the box storing channels not in their EPG. It may also be an attempt to solve the problems, a lot of people have reported, with the wrong version of BBC1/ITV appearing at 1,2 and 3. Either way it's a bit annoying ! In NI it would be a plus point to their customers to be able to watch and record RTE on the box. There has been an update on the box, since the one listed in that article. It updated around Christmas to support the BBC I Player.

I think I'm inclined to add both boxes to the Black list? Will I?
    http://www.saortv.info/terrestrial-saorview/the-black-list/

Both these boxes sound less useful for Saorview than a Sky Digibox for FTA TV from 13E or 19E. As it's essentially for a BT service they are as likely as Sky adding Diseqc to fix whatever bugs/incompatibility on both boxes. In both cases a pity.

Is this correct?
    Neither box is available retail? They are only supplied with BT Vision subscription?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

Yes, I would add them, although they do support HD and the MHEG EPG (and even the Saorview EPG when it was there) you can't record the channels on them and they will only work with a BT connection, so they'd be better listed incase anyone buys one off ebay.

Advertisement