Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to ready?

• 11-01-2019 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭

We are getting a new build house. It has base foundations ready, but no walls. Builder says it will be ready in 2 months to move in. Does this sound plausible?
    Area size is 1500 sq ft.

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,125 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Sounds like total pie in the sky.

Is this a one off house or part of a development? What finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Based on your experience, what's the expected time frame?
    awec wrote: »
    Sounds like total pie in the sky.

Is this a one off house or part of a development?

Based on your experience, what's the expected time frame?
    If it's part of a development (and therefore the developer is building multiple houses at once), and it's a turn key finish, I would expect at least 8 weeks once the house is watertight with the roof on and windows in.

Built from foundations to a turn key finish in 8 weeks sounds incredibly fast.

I'm not a builder, so not an expert, but seems really unlikely to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Is this being built by on of Drunkmonkey's 3D printers?

Joking aside seems very quick to me also - also not a builder.

Yes, it's a first house of the development. They have made around 12 home foundation bases and builder told they will start making walls and roofs in the queue.

I also felt 2 months is too short and thought will get others view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MSVforever

We are buying a new build as well. They started laying the foundation last April and we will have our 1st snag next week.
    10-12 month would be more realistic imo.

Oh my God, that's a long wait. But thanks for opening our eyes.
    MSVforever wrote: »
    We are buying a new build as well. They started laying the foundation last April and we will have our 1st snag next week.
    10-12 month would be more realistic imo.

If you're the very first house I wouldn't expect it to be as long as 10 months, but certainly more than 2.

Also consider that if you are in fact the very first house then you're basically the guinea pig which will slow things down.

How come first house is the Guinea pig? We were told they won't move to other house until the first house is complete.
    If you're the very first house I wouldn't expect it to be as long as 10 months, but certainly more than 2.

Also consider that if you are in fact the very first house then you're basically the guinea pig which will slow things down.

How come first house is the Guinea pig? We were told they won't move to other house until the first house is complete.

Well they’ve never built it before. The first time you do something is the hardest.

• Advertisement

The builder has built houses in the last few years. This is phase 3. Maybe that way he will be faster.
    Well they’ve never built it before. The first time you do something is the hardest.

Advertisement