Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin-Isle of Mann

• 29-05-2019 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭

Random question.

If you had some form of a power boat or general day to day use boat, how long would it take from Dublin to Isle of Mann?

Is it commutable?

I am not considering and and outside of a car ferry have zero knowledge of boats.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,759 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Its 80 miles, and "how long" would depend on how fast you go/ how much fuel you're prepared to use.

If by "commutable" you mean on a daily or weekly basis for work - well I wouldn't consider that practical or affordable, or (even if you did win the lotto and could afford it) remotely reliable given the weather that we regularly get in the Irish Sea!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

It would be very expensive without sails.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    It would be very expensive without sails.

And very slow with them!!

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    And very slow with them!!

#1 spinnaker (asymmetrical), spare wardrobe, good winds, fast watches with and experienced crew, constant trimming, offshore gear, running sail changes, carbon rig, contingency money for rips and breakages, 300K racing boat...

Simples! :o

John_Rambo wrote: »
    #1 spinnaker (asymmetrical), spare wardrobe, good winds, fast watches with and experienced crew, constant trimming, offshore gear, running sail changes, carbon rig, contingency money for rips and breakages, 300K racing boat...

Simples! :o

Adverse tides, headwinds, lumpy sea, F7/8 and gusting from the NE...... I've been there and done that, you can keep your carbon rig and fancy racing boat, no thanks!!! :D

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Adverse tides, headwinds, lumpy sea, F7/8 and gusting from the NE...... I've been there and done that, you can keep your carbon rig and fancy racing boat, no thanks!!! :D

Yeah. I know, I was being facetious, I've done it a few times. The tack slog back against prevailing Westerlies can be a bitch.

OP, it will cost an uncomfortable fortune on diesel to power to the Isle of man and back on what must be a powerful expensive sea going cruiser.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Have you there in under an hour, OP.

X12-Endurance-Outboard-Grey-dark.png

Goldfish ribs can do in excess of 100 knots and Douglas is about 70nm from Dublin.

Easy...;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Just a quick look in Navionics there,

Dun Laoghaire harbour to Peel harbour = 75.7nm
    At a cruising speed of 5.5kts, you'd do it in roughly 14 hours (this however is based on boat speed through the water, and tides would need to be factored in)

my 19HP engine would burn roughly 30l of diesel on that journey, costing roughly €30

Advertisement