Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Yaris differences

• 24-06-2011 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭

Pardon me for asking but ive searched google and boards for an answer without finding something satisfactory.

im trying to find the feature of a yaris 2001 sol specced.

why i am asking is, ive gone to see the car, which cartell says is a sol but it has only 2 front electric windows and no remote central locking.

i though sol was the highest spec available?

could somebody enlighten me the differences between the spec of that era?i found the 2006 model specs, and they are not the same at all.

Thanks again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

The Sol should have the following:
    CD, Remote Locking, Electric Mirrors, colour coded Mirrors, 3 rear headrests, height adjustable Driver seat (and I think the Grill should be chrome).
    I don't know if it had the remote central locking built into the key fob or if it was on a seperate unit. If it was seperate it could well have been mislaid over the years.
    It may also state the model type on the registration cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    The Sol should have the following:
    CD, Remote Locking, Electric Mirrors, colour coded Mirrors, 3 rear headrests, height adjustable Driver seat (and I think the Grill should be chrome).
    I don't know if it had the remote central locking built into the key fob or if it was on a seperate unit. If it was seperate it could well have been mislaid over the years.
    It may also state the model type on the registration cert.

New sol spec is completely different. None of them had rear electric windows or aircon standard

Spec was changed in 2003 also.

^^^ OP asked about a 2001 and it should have CD player,remote central locking, electric & colour-coded mirrors, 3 rear headrests and height adjustable drivers seat.
    Nobody mentioned Air-con or electric rear windows.:confused::confused::confused:

I quoted the wrong post. On the mobile so major hassle to rectify!

Of course your specs are bang on, but I think the OP was expecting more spec on a top of the range model.

The original post makes reference to the lack of rear lec windows

In addition to the stuff you mentioned, the sol gets upgraded seat fabrics, kinda velour, leather steering wheel with cool bumpy grips and leather gearknob

No prob Colm.
    By the way the wife has the basic (Terra) spec Yaris. I swapped the stereo for a radio/cd player (lying around at home) and bought a remote central locking kit off ebay (€17).
    That's specced it enough for herself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Spipov

nice one. not much more than the terra then, doesnt warrant that much more cash.

im still struggling between getting a yaris (the prices of them = ouch) and a polo 2000-2002 (not a lot of good ones going around).

decisions decisions!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Spipov wrote: »
    nice one. not much more than the terra then, doesnt warrant that much more cash.

im still struggling between getting a yaris (the prices of them = ouch) and a polo 2000-2002 (not a lot of good ones going around).

decisions decisions!

For me I'd have to go with the Yaris. I had the displeasure of driving a 98' 1.0 litre Polo for a number of weeks. I'm unsure if the engine in the 2000 - 2002 version is the same (assuming you are looking at a 1.0 litre) but the engine in the one I was driving was just woeful. Granted, nobody expects a 1.0 litre car to be fast but Polo was just dreadful altogether to the point of being dangerously slow. Then at anything above 50mph it could be quite terrifying to drive, even on a smooth straight motorway.

It also had lots of niggly faults. Needed to keep the foot on the accelerator until the engine heated up fully or else the car cutted out (made life difficult when coming up to traffic lights/ junctions etc)....perhaps that was a problem that could have being rectified easily enough though. Apart from that ignition coil and brakes gave trouble and as I say I only had the car on loan for a few weeks. It was very apparent it was made to a budget. Most components were made in Spain I think. Also, was quite heavy on fuel considering it was such a slouch.

My sister drives a 2001 Yaris and it is just in a different league altogether. If I need to be critical the interior plastics seem fairly hard and cheap, wouldn't bother me too much really but some people get very hung up on this aspect. Having said that the interior does seem pretty robust and well screwed together. I'm also not a fan of the red or blue display only for engine temperature and would much rather see a needle. Sisters has being hassle free for her, just usual wear and tear items really and also not heavy on fuel. You might pay a wee bit of a premium for a Yaris but its worth it against the likes of a Polo I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

For me I'd have to go with the Yaris. I had the displeasure of driving a 98' 1.0 litre Polo for a number of weeks. I'm unsure if the engine in the 2000 - 2002 version is the same (assuming you are looking at a 1.0 litre) but the engine in the one I was driving was just woeful. Granted, nobody expects a 1.0 litre car to be fast but Polo was just dreadful altogether to the point of being dangerously slow. Then at anything above 50mph it could be quite terrifying to drive, even on a smooth straight motorway.

It also had lots of niggly faults. Needed to keep the foot on the accelerator until the engine heated up fully or else the car cutted out (made life difficult when coming up to traffic lights/ junctions etc)....perhaps that was a problem that could have being rectified easily enough though. Apart from that ignition coil and brakes gave trouble and as I say I only had the car on loan for a few weeks. It was very apparent it was made to a budget. Most components were made in Spain I think. Also, was quite heavy on fuel considering it was such a slouch.

My sister drives a 2001 Yaris and it is just in a different league altogether. If I need to be critical the interior plastics seem fairly hard and cheap, wouldn't bother me too much really but some people get very hung up on this aspect. Having said that the interior does seem pretty robust and well screwed together. I'm also not a fan of the red or blue display only for engine temperature and would much rather see a needle. Sisters has being hassle free for her, just usual wear and tear items really and also not heavy on fuel. You might pay a wee bit of a premium for a Yaris but its worth it against the likes of a Polo I think.

The Yaris is the worst car Ive driven in the wet(from new on original and now aftermarket tyres), back end breaks loose easily and car spins. Could be potentially fatal... Steering feels very artificial also.
    Another 97 corolla we had handelled neutrally in the wet so its not a Toyota specific problem just a Yaris problem.
    Also right drivers armrest is crappy hard plastic so is uncomfortable on that point alone, window is too high to rest arm.
    Yaris is good fun though to drive in dry conditions though , cheeky little car.

I can't say I've experienced any severly bad handling problems with the Yaris lomb. Its not a sports car or a super saloon....I suppose if you treat it as such you will be in trouble! The Polo on the other hand was just a nightmare handling wise, wet, dry or indifferent and I'm not talking serious speed at all. Who knows, maybe that was just the one I drove for a few weeks. As I said the interior plastics are quite hard and not very comforting in the Yaris. To some people the inside of a car means a great deal but I wouldn't give a toss.

Priorities and all that but I'll put up with the hard plastic armrest everyday rather than the possibility of being stranded on the side of the road or potentially cutting out when overtaking a truck!

lads, thanks a bunch for the info.

i found an ad and ended up getting a 00 yaris, 1 previous owner, nct till 09/12 tax till 08/11. it was the best ive driven in a long while.

had clutch and tyres recently changed, so that made it feel better driving. the piles of c*ap i tried before getting to this one was unbelievable. and this was cheaper (just over 2k euros).

it has 2 keys, no service history unfortunately, but then again, its a 2k car.

its a terra model (the last sol i saw wasnt different from this one, didnt have remote central lock either).

im thinking of getting this aftermarket remote locking kit, have people had any problems?

http://www.rclick.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=50&products_id=675

im looking to get both keys cut then and the chip put into this one.

anybody knows of anybody who would fit that, and also cut the keys (+ changing the chip over to this kit?)

theres also a cd player in the car, so its just a matter of getting a mex-bt2700 and fitting it in.

all in all, im happy with the car (lets see if it develops any problems). im going to get it professionally valeted as well. - then give it as gift to the wife on our anniversary with a big bow on it!

• Advertisement

Spipov wrote: »
    lads, thanks a bunch for the info.

i found an ad and ended up getting a 00 yaris, 1 previous owner, nct till 09/12 tax till 08/11. it was the best ive driven in a long while.

had clutch and tyres recently changed, so that made it feel better driving. the piles of c*ap i tried before getting to this one was unbelievable. and this was cheaper (just over 2k euros).

it has 2 keys, no service history unfortunately, but then again, its a 2k car.

its a terra model (the last sol i saw wasnt different from this one, didnt have remote central lock either).

im thinking of getting this aftermarket remote locking kit, have people had any problems?

http://www.rclick.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=50&products_id=675

im looking to get both keys cut then and the chip put into this one.

anybody knows of anybody who would fit that, and also cut the keys (+ changing the chip over to this kit?)

theres also a cd player in the car, so its just a matter of getting a mex-bt2700 and fitting it in.

all in all, im happy with the car (lets see if it develops any problems). im going to get it professionally valeted as well. - then give it as gift to the wife on our anniversary with a big bow on it!

Congrats on the new motor Spipov. Hope its good for your wife and am sure it will be. It does seem to be a car that was well cared for by the way you describe it so thats a very good starting point anyway. Would think, she'll be over the moon with that present.

I'm afraid I'd be far from a whizz kid on the remote locking kit myself. mgbgt1978 might be the best man to advise on this if hes still following the thread as he mentioned he got one fitted to his car.

My ignition in my uncles 98' Corolla gave him hassle so he needed to replace that. He simply leaves the old key hanging on the bunch and thats grand to ensure that the immobiliser is happy when hes starting the car. Not sure if that bit of info is of any benefit to you but so you will know if need be;)

thanks. ill keep an eye out

This;
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Car-Remote-Control-Keyless-Door-Central-Locking-Kit-/160605434540?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2564d472ac
    is the kit i used for 2 different cars to give them remote central locking.
    Fairly simple to fit and no messing about with keys and transponders

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

Hi just wondering would anyone be able to tell me the spec for a 2004 model sol?

2 electric windows
    Remote locking
    14" alloys
    Front fogs
    Height adjust seats
    Electric mirrors
    ABS
    Colour coded rubbing strips on bumpers
    Leather wheel and gearknob
    Rear headrests
    Silver heater controls and door handles

The Strata is a better option, it loses the electric mirrors but gains chrome exhaust, remote audio, scuff plates, carbon fibre effect heating controls and door panels, tailored mats, coloured seats with better material and the option of Jupiter blue paint.
    Essentially its the earlier Yaris Blue special edition with alloys and more colours.
    These were cheaper than the sol and way more common in 2005 as it was the runout model before the new shape came out

colm_mcm wrote: »
    2 electric windows
    Remote locking
    14" alloys
    Front fogs
    Height adjust seats
    Electric mirrors
    ABS
    Colour coded rubbing strips on bumpers
    Leather wheel and gearknob
    Rear headrests
    Silver heater controls and door handles

The Strata is a better option, it loses the electric mirrors but gains chrome exhaust, remote audio, scuff plates, carbon fibre effect heating controls and door panels, tailored mats, coloured seats with better material and the option of Jupiter blue paint.
    Essentially its the earlier Yaris Blue special edition with alloys and more colours.
    These were cheaper than the sol and way more common in 2005 as it was the runout model before the new shape came out

Thanks a mill! I'm looking for a 2004 or 2005 Yaris at the moment and I was so confused about the models! Do the others not have remote central locking? :D

Terra has central locking but no remote, electric windows, abs, cd, colour coded bumpers and handles,

Luna adds remote locking, silvery interior bits, rear head rests

Blue special edition is same as strata but without alloys and was launched in 2004. Only available in blue (Jupiter, Stellar and Pearl)

So in order of niceness:
    Terra
    Luna
    Blue
    Sol
    Strata

hi all.

i ended up getting a terra 00 model. at the end of the day, between that and the sol, there was only the rear headrests and abs. there arent many sol's for sale or anything else apart from the terras in the irish market.
    the couple of sols i went to see were dreadful in condition and were not cheap. at the end of the day, since there were many terras knocking around, i managed to choose the right one.

i bought a remote locking kit for 15 euros on ebay, im just waiting to install it. apart from that, its in good nick apart from a few dents and smoke smell that im still trying to figure out how to get rid of.

Just to clarify, we are now talking about the post 03 facelift models where differences in spec are more significant between trim levels.

It's tough to find a sol or strata, they're all either sold or at a ridiculous price! I was adamant that I wanted Remote central locking but now I feel central locking without the remote will do!

• Advertisement

There are a few blue special editions around 04-05 same as strata just no alloys. Way nicer than a terra and have remote locks. Hold out for one

I'm thinking of going to view an 04 terra with 44000 miles for €4750 on monday. I must have a look again for the blue....

So the terra just has central locking nothing else fancy? :(

The 04 on donedeal for 4200 is a blue special edition. Why not buy that?

The 04 on donedeal for 4200 is a blue special edition. Why not buy that?

It was sold! i wish they would take down the ads when the car has been sold!

Here's a 1.3 blue special edition 3 door for 4k.
    Uk import but not unusual for sligo as its close to NI

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2313174?cid=2313174&

It's actually a 1.0 and not a 1.3 as advertised. It's uk alright.

It's actually a 1.0 and not a 1.3 as advertised. It's uk alright.
    not bad! i wonder why they don't have many pictures... Would it be worthwhile buying one in NI and reregistering it or would it end up costing more?

I don't think you'd save much up north, although there's a blue special edition for 2k on donedeal, there's 100 on the clock and it needs vrt for a few hundred

I may just hold out for the perfect one! I know I want a 5 door with max 70000 miles.. with as much as possible for my money!

• Advertisement

Advertisement