Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Electric shower correct MCB and cable size?

• 25-12-2009 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I have an old 8.5KW Triton electric shower for the last 10 years which needs replacing. I have bought a new 8.5KW electric shower and I'm hoping someone can help me.

I read the instruction manual of the new shower and it recommends a 10mm cable and a 40 amp MCB for showers over 8KW

I checked the set up of my old shower and it was wired with 6mm cable and the fuse box has a B32 amp MCB. The shower is approx 4m away from the fuse box.

Even though my old shower has worked fine for the last 10 years, can someone please advise me if the correct cable and MCB was installed from day 1??

Is 6mm cable and a B32 MCB safe for a 8.5KW shower??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

In my opinion the 6sq is fine but I would change the 32amp mcb to a 40 RCBO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I agree, the 6 sq. should be fine for a short run like that. But I would change to the RCBO as Woddle says.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭mistermarantz

Folks, thanks for your help

Whats the difference between a MCB and a RCDO?

Also, what does the "B" in B32 mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

Ya.cables fine for 8.5kw at 4metres but change to 40a rcbo.Might need a small rewire if the existing 32 is already fed via an rcd .
    Get a sparkie to test wiring at shower when finished

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

The rcbo combines the overload/short-circuit protection of an mcb with the earth-leakage protection of an rcd.The 'B' denotes the magnetic tripping characteristic and is the type you need for shower

• Advertisement
Advertisement