Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clay Farm, Leopardstown, Dublin 18

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

CPTM wrote: »
    I was looking at a house out that direction. I'd be taking the Luas to Cowper and cycling from there to work. In the evening I'd be cycling back to Cowper and taking the Luas to The Gallops. For how many stops after Harcourt street would it normally be difficult getting on the Luas during rush hour?

Doesn't really empty until Dundrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Are you planning on leaving your bike @ Cowper or is it a fold up bike? If it's the latter, makes it even more difficult to get on as space is at a premium! Depends on the time you'd be getting on.

Though maybe you're talking about the Dublin bikes, but I've no idea if there's a terminal there or not.

The Sandyford Luas has a little bit more room than the Bride's Glen one, though that doesn't help you. Mind you, you could hop on a Sandyford one, get off at Sandyford and then wait for a Bride's Glen one there (which would be a bit emptier at Sandyford than it would at Cowper).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

Are you planning on leaving your bike @ Cowper or is it a fold up bike? If it's the latter, makes it even more difficult to get on as space is at a premium! Depends on the time you'd be getting on.

Though maybe you're talking about the Dublin bikes, but I've no idea if there's a terminal there or not.

The Sandyford Luas has a little bit more room than the Bride's Glen one, though that doesn't help you. Mind you, you could hop on a Sandyford one, get off at Sandyford and then wait for a Bride's Glen one there (which would be a bit emptier at Sandyford than it would at Cowper).

Thanks for the response. I'd leave an old 50€ bike at Cowper with a few heavy locks. It's only a 6 minute cycle from there to work so I could leave an old unwanted bicycle there. The other option is cycling from the gallops to ballsbridge, but I have a mental block about cycling to anywhere in Dublin from outside the M50. At the moment I have a 20 minute cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

I get the Luas in the morning at Leopardstown Valley at around 8.30am, and then catch a Luas at Marlborough St around 6.20pm going home.

I get a seat every morning and every evening, though I understand that Marlborough is a good way from Cowper and even at 6.45ish the Luas would be full enough at Cowper. No idea what it would be like earlier in the evening, more packed I'd imagine.

In the morning there are no seats left by Glencairn, and pretty squashed standing room by the time you get to Ballally. Some mornings there are people left on the platform at Milltown waiting for the next train. Definitely no room for a full bike, but a foldy up one would be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Looks like the developers are already working on Phase 2, which I think will be located beyond the 'eco park' - am I correct or is it the landscaping for the park that they are starting on? Really interested to see how the latter turns out.

The site planning docs surprise me a bit; it looks as though they build the entire eco park and only then build a permanent road across it to Phase 2. But surely that's a bit arseways?

Also read in the most recent submission to the authorities that the developers are saying that cannot complete the loop road or open any portion of the site up to the completed section of road to the west (where Elmfield meets the main road) as the owners of the land in Kilgobbin Wood (presumably the developers of that estate) are not cooperating. So for the time being all vehicular traffic to and from Clay Farm needs to go through the single entrance opposite the Leopardstown Valley Luas stop. Don't suppose anyone has any more info on what is going on with the loop road or eventual plans to go up to Stepaside?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

They've built the bridge over the river/stream, and are constructing phase 2 buildings on the far side.

I'm not sure what the status of the road is, but there was some discussion about a narrow strip near Elmfield being owned by another developer in the recent planning docs here http://clayfarm1cshd.ie/

The road won't become a through-route to Stepaside, it'll be a loop.

The greenway link to Cruagh estate seems have got the go-ahead and will be starting to be built soon. This will be pedestrian and bike only.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Henbabani

The apartments are going for sale for individuals buyers, 285-330k for 1 BDR, 370+ for 2BDR.
    If you look carefully on property price register, we can find out that 2 buildings are already sole probably for some cuko funds 189k for 1BDR and 284k for 2BDR.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭p15574

Henbabani wrote: »
    If you look carefully on property price register, we can find out that 2 buildings are already sole probably for some cuko funds 189k for 1BDR and 284k for 2BDR.

Or - for those prices - maybe the brother-in-law's mother's niece (or something) of someone connected to the planning permission...

One apartment block was bought by the Iveagh Trust - one of the housing charities. This presumably was to satisfy the 10% social housing requirement, and would explain the corresponding cheaper price of individual apartments as obviously the builders can't sell their 10% social allocation (whether it be to the council or to a housing charity) for full market price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I would think that quite a few of the houses and apartments they are building in Clay Farm right now will end up going to REITs, the council or housing charities, at some stage. Prices too high to entice many private buyers, market very shaky, probably easier to sell en masse to a bigger organisation - particularly with the pressure the council and housing charities will remain under to acquire units by whatever means necessary.

• Advertisement

I should say I think €330k for a one bedroom apartment is absolute nonsense. I live in Clay Farm, I really like it, it's a lovely estate, but it's not worth €330k for a one bed. You'd have to earning €85k as a single person which is way way beyond the means of most people and certainly the category of the population that would be interested in buying a one bed apartment. It's a ridiculous price, Luas or no Luas.

ionapaul wrote: »
    I would think that quite a few of the houses and apartments they are building in Clay Farm right now will end up going to REITs, the council or housing charities, at some stage. Prices too high to entice many private buyers, market very shaky, probably easier to sell en masse to a bigger organisation - particularly with the pressure the council and housing charities will remain under to acquire units by whatever means necessary.

I wonder is this current sale to the private market a sort of "test the waters" into the private buyers market. Obviously they can make more of a profit if selling the apartments individually, but it's no good if they're left with 20% of the apartments in a block unsold for any length of time. So we'll see if these private market apartment get snapped up, and if so, they might not go down the REIT/Council route so often after that.

There's plenty of couples with no children who could & would spend 330k on a one bed apartment in a good area in my opinion. DLR and beside Luas, Sandyford etc. I expect they will be snapped up fairly handily.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Henbabani wrote: »
    The apartments are going for sale for individuals buyers, 285-330k for 1 BDR, 370+ for 2BDR.

Property price register prices for new builds exclude vat @13.5%

Look at the specs of the apartments and it's superb.

The two beds are mostly 900+ Sq ft, some 1046sq ft. That's the size of a 3bed semi.

370k, @ 330k mortgage, €1400/month

Darc19 wrote: »

The two beds are mostly 900+ Sq ft, some 1046sq ft. That's the size of a 3bed semi.

370k, @ 330k mortgage, €1400/month

When you put it that way....

And I have to say, the houses are really well built - excellent sound and heat insulation. I'd expect the apartments will be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Darc19 wrote: »

The two beds are mostly 900+ Sq ft, some 1046sq ft. That's the size of a 3bed semi

Not that I've seen, just bought a 3 bed semi that is on the smaller side for a new build and that is 1163sq ft.

I'd say Darc means a small 3-bed (and perhaps not semi-detached). We moved from an end-of-terrace 3 bed house, built 30 years ago, which was about 950 sq ft. Really pokey for a three bed house, but would have been a great size if it was 2 bed apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Can't see them getting 330k for a one bed. The one beds across the road in the gallops (nearly ) go for 250 to 270 that's a big premium. They also have parking in all cases and none of the blocks there are owned by a homeless charity or overlook an ESB station / the local tip which surely will be visible from the top floors.

At the absolute height of the property madness the one beds in the Gallops were 330k and it was justified then , during the crash they couldn't be sold for 145 and were rented out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

nak wrote: »
    Not that I've seen, just bought a 3 bed semi that is on the smaller side for a new build and that is 1163sq ft.

These days people want more space, but many of the 1980's and 90's 3 bed semis were sub 1,000 Sq ft.

The 3rd bedroom was miniscule.

In the UK they'll squeeze 3 beds into under 900sq ft!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Can't see them getting 330k for a one bed. The one beds across the road in the gallops (nearly ) go for 250 to 270 that's a big premium. They also have parking in all cases and none of the blocks there are owned by a homeless charity or overlook an ESB station / the local tip which surely will be visible from the top floors.

The tip closed in 2004, but it used to be a valley before the 30 odd years of rubbish went in and it became a "mountain",
    The land/farm (Jamestown house) that was sold for it was bought for the staggering price (at the time) of £1million (punt) entrance to farm was where entrance is to council offices are now, but way down further.

• Advertisement

Can't see them getting 330k for a one bed. The one beds across the road in the gallops (nearly ) go for 250 to 270 that's a big premium.
    Don't know about the 1 beds in the Gallops, but the 2 beds are easily clearing 400k.
    They also have parking in all cases and none of the blocks there are owned by a homeless charity or overlook an ESB station / the local tip which surely will be visible from the top floors.
    The 2 beds down the road in Kilgobbin are hitting 350k second-hand and they're not huge. I think with LUAS alongside, Jamestown Park, and big expansions to Carrickmines etc planned in the next few years, along with good schools and easy access to the Dublin mountains, these will be snapped up - but we'll see. It also helps that in this area you're going to get a lot of upper middle-class/professional types, so there will usually be less hassle with people not paying management company fees etc.

Biggest downside for me would be that it is going to be a long time before the landscaping etc matures - it's pretty grey in Clay Farm when I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Zoz

Hi Guys,
    I am planning to buy an apartment in clayfarm. wanna take ur opinion about the area ? any safety concerns ? any antisocial behaviour or drugs ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

hmmm wrote: »
    Don't know about the 1 beds in the Gallops, but the 2 beds are easily clearing 400k.

The 2 beds down the road in Kilgobbin are hitting 350k second-hand and they're not huge. I think with LUAS alongside, Jamestown Park, and big expansions to Carrickmines etc planned in the next few years, along with good schools and easy access to the Dublin mountains, these will be snapped up - but we'll see. It also helps that in this area you're going to get a lot of upper middle-class/professional types, so there will usually be less hassle with people not paying management company fees etc.

Biggest downside for me would be that it is going to be a long time before the landscaping etc matures - it's pretty grey in Clay Farm when I see it.

Why would anyone pay more for Clayfarm than the Gallops?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Why would anyone pay more for Clayfarm than the Gallops?

Its newer. Its closer to the luas. Closer to Sliab Rua school. Easier to access Dunnes

godtabh wrote: »
    Its newer. Its closer to the luas. Closer to Sliab Rua school. Easier to access Dunnes

The lower end of Ballyogan road is quite rough. There seems to be a problem outside dunnes with gangs of feral teens after it closes.

The lower end of Ballyogan road is quite rough. There seems to be a problem outside dunnes with gangs of feral teens after it closes.
    That end is certainly a problem area, and there can be a bit of low-level anti social behaviour on the LUAS as a consequence. With the exception of that though the whole Ballyogan area is largely well-off middle-class and pretty quiet, certainly an awful lot nicer than other suburbs which would attract first-time buyers. One problem is a lack of pubs/cafes etc., although the LUAS can take you into places like Ranelagh pretty quick, and there's one or two up Stepaside/Kilternan direction.

hmmm wrote: »
    That end is certainly a problem area, and there can be a bit of low-level anti social behaviour on the LUAS as a consequence. With the exception of that though the whole Ballyogan area is largely well-off middle-class and pretty quiet, certainly an awful lot nicer than other suburbs which would attract first-time buyers. One problem is a lack of pubs/cafes etc., although the LUAS can take you into places like Ranelagh pretty quick, and there's one or two up Stepaside/Kilternan direction.

Dunno where you are getting that idea about Ballyogan being well off. Anything beyond Dunnes on that side of the road down to the roundabout is a no go area. Clayfarm is quite close to this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,966 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I see the same scummy looking teen wearing the same scummy looking grey tracksuit all the time down by the Dunnes there. I was looking at the Ballyogan estate on street view once and what do I see again? Same teen, same tracksuit.

I've been here nearly 5 years and have never had any issues in the area but I live up by the Gallops Luas stop and am happy enough to be that bit further away from the estate than Clay Farm is. The below happened in there last year which is absolutely fúcking nuts:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/garda-fear-footage-of-assault-on-officers-will-be-circulated-on-social-media-36858579.html

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭pandoraj09

I see the same scummy looking teen wearing the same scummy looking grey tracksuit all the time down by the Dunnes there. I was looking at the Ballyogan estate on street view once and what do I see again? Same teen, same tracksuit.

I've been here nearly 5 years and have never had any issues in the area but I live up by the Gallops Luas stop and am happy enough to be that bit further away from the estate than Clay Farm is. The below happened in there last year which is absolutely fúcking nuts:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/garda-fear-footage-of-assault-on-officers-will-be-circulated-on-social-media-36858579.html
    They're gone from the estate now. The house they were in has been sold, renovated and a family living there now...

• Advertisement

pandoraj09 wrote: »
    That's not true, unfortunately. There is a very rough element in Ballyogan and once October starts so do the fireworks, bangers etc that sound like explosions in the area.
    I didn't deny that the area around the social housing estate is rough, but every area beside a social housing estate has to deal with fireworks etc at this time of year. You look at other parts of Dublin, and other than a few exclusive enclaves they all have to put up with anti-social behaviour, and people sitting around in pyjamas is the least of their worries.

Other than this estate, all the other estates in the area are generally pretty nice, and some are more than nice.

Advertisement