Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boiler repairs

• 18-09-2019 7:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

I got my oil for the winter delivered last week, and the delivery man said there's a hole in the tank. I can't switch on my heating without going out to the boiler and bleeding it. On top of that it is chucking out black smoke. Not sure if there's a problem elsewhere but hot taps aren't working, just dropping cold water. I spoke to my landlord first about the smoke and he said I will have to pay a plumber to service it , but the other problems have come up and he says it is my responsibility to get it all fixed. Is this correct? I am here over a year but have never used the oil heating.

My landlord lives next door so I'm afraid to start bad relations..plus I'm worried if I question it he will evict me. Fridge and washing machine are broken also but the house was rented as unfurnished so I'm thinking these are my responsibility?

I ma a HaP tenant so I am contracted with them to stay here for at least a year, although I am part 4 I believe? Years contract expires a few months ago.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

its the landlords issue not the tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

He can't just evict you like that, and getting the boiler fixed is the landlord's responsibility. If the fridge etc are yours then it's up to you to get them fixed, but if they came with the house they're the landlord's responsibility too. That's my understanding anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Landlord is required to supply Fridge and Washing Facilities i.e. washing machine.

Hot and Cold water and Adequate Heating are also required to be supplied.

https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/beginning-a-tenancy/what-minimum-standards-must-a-property-meet/

Get on to them and tell them they need to get it fixed, refer them to the above link it is from the rtb website.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Rosedust84

Re: the washing machine and fridge, there were none when I moved in, I picked some up second hand but they are in the last of their life, I suppose I didn't argue it moving in so will have to replace them myself. Our next door neighbor moved in a month ago, and had to buy all her own appliances because he 'strictly' doesn't provide these things. The houses are filthy and in awful state of disrepair, gutters broken, holes in the walls, potholes in the drive, myself and a few neighbours got together and asked him about fixing them up, he said we will have to pay the workmen ourselves if we want them cleaned up. Again, I moved in when they were like this so I can't complain much now, my mother in law had paid deposit before I viewed the house so I felt I couldn't go back on it, in my defense :p

I am not sure how much I can do if he won't repair the heating , my mother in law says not to push it, he knows the family and it's a small town so people talk/I won't get another house easily. It's a sh!t mentality and I am looking for another place,, though not much is coming up for rent and if say I won't get my deposit back either, I treated the place like my own and did previous repairs, we put down new floors etc. But at the end of my tether

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

Good to see the Irish taxpayer subsidising slumlords like this guy via HAP.

Best of luck OP

• Advertisement

I have spoken to landlord again and he is standing firm with this. I spoke to a plumber who said I can't light the open fire while the pump is not working, so I have no heating supply. Not too bad with this late summer we are having but nights/morning are getting cold.

If I am reading the link right, I have to send landlord a letter and give him a chance to rectify, and then contact local authority to do an inspection?

Is the yearly service of the boiler my responsibility?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,233 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Browney7 wrote: »
    Good to see the Irish taxpayer subsidising slumlords like this guy via HAP.

Best of luck OP

That escalated quickly.
    The landlord said he’ll address the boiler.

The white goods belong to the tenant and are his responsiblity

ted1 wrote: »
    That escalated quickly.

He won't address it, that's the point of my thread ..?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭Caranica

Rosedust84 wrote: »
    He won't address it, that's the point of my thread ..?

That is illegal. So much of what you've told us is illegal. To sort it will rock the boat but it needs to be done. Talk to threshold for advice on the next steps

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That escalated quickly.

The landlord has to provide a fridge and access to a washing machine. Tenant should be requesting these

RTB complaint is what's needed now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I think you're gonna have to rock the boat, if he's well known locally, he'll be well known for being tight...( But in small towns there won't be many places available for rent anyway),
    While you can't complain about your personal appliances breaking down, as far as I know the house has to have working fridge, access to laundry and heating (of some kind),
    So if you go to rtb he could argue that he'd offered a few crappy electric heaters or something...
    I'd be a bit worried about the fireplace and back boiler (apart from them being inefficient and a waste of money), if they're badly installed they're dangerous, and one that need the boiler running to work sounds weird (but that could be miscommunication, from the plumber or something),

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

That escalated quickly.

He's totally abdicating his responsibility here. It's guys like him who fuel the stories that the media lap up that drive the tenant legislation that LLs scream blue murder over. Pretty simple

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭dennyk

The landlord doesn't have to repair the tenant's personal white goods, true, but he does have to provide a working fridge, oven, hob, microwave, and washing machine, which he has not done. The landlord is absolutely responsible for seeing to it that those are provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

dennyk wrote: »
    The landlord doesn't have to repair the tenant's personal white goods, true, but he does have to provide a working fridge, oven, hob, microwave, and washing machine, which he has not done. The landlord is absolutely responsible for seeing to it that those are provided.

Microwave ? I doubt it... Cooker yes...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Markcheese wrote: »
    Microwave ? I doubt it... Cooker yes...

You doubt, but you're wrong

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html

Also note the 4 ring hob, a lot of smaller kitchens had 2

No he didn't provide any of these things, even the windows were bare, I bought blinds when I moved in and velux , a few people said to watch him because he would sell his grandmother for a fiver 😆 I could have walked away so I accepted these things moving in but this is the first time problems have come up. I have a feeling if I bring a dispute that he will think up a legal reasons to evict us, but not much I can do

The legal reasons to evict are few and far between. Forceful reminder of his responsibilities has to be given at this stage.

Markcheese wrote: »
    So if you go to rtb he could argue that he'd offered a few crappy electric heaters or something...
    I'd be a bit worried about the fireplace and back boiler (apart from them being inefficient and a waste of money), if they're badly installed they're dangerous, and one that need the boiler running to work sounds weird (but that could be miscommunication, from the plumber or something),

Sorry its probably a bad way I explained, the pump with the fire plugs in, I don't know if they are connected or just gone at the same time, anyway landlord told me if it's not plugged in the tank will burst or something? I had the fire pit a few days ago and it wasn't kicking in, so the landlord told me let the fire go down for safety..I'm really trying to describe something I am clueless about lol!

My question now is, I can't do without heating in from a few weeks time, if I get a plumber and pay him will that reflect badly on me, like I have accepted that it is my problem to sort?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭Caranica

You've already paid out a lot of money on stuff your landlord is legally obliged to provide. You're allowing them to ride roughshod over your legal rights. Stand up for yourself, it'll save you a fortune

L1011 wrote: »
    The legal reasons to evict are few and far between. Forceful reminder of his responsibilities has to be given at this stage.

If it gets a hap inspection and fails he may well end up having to move out though regardless of the legal reasons to evict.

I’m not saying the situation is in anyway right but you have to way up the potential consequences.

• Advertisement

If it gets a hap inspection and fails he may well end up having to move out though regardless of the legal reasons to evict.

I’m not saying the situation is in anyway right but you have to way up the potential consequences.
    The RTB won't be the reason a HAP inspection happens

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Sorry its probably a bad way I explained, the pump with the fire plugs in, I don't know if they are connected or just gone at the same time, anyway landlord told me if it's not plugged in the tank will burst or something? I had the fire pit a few days ago and it wasn't kicking in, so the landlord told me let the fire go down for safety..I'm really trying to describe something I am clueless about lol!

My question now is, I can't do without heating in from a few weeks time, if I get a plumber and pay him will that reflect badly on me, like I have accepted that it is my problem to sort?

please. call Threshold. They will advise and guide you accurately and if you need will also act as your advocate with the landlord ie speak with him on all this on your behalf . They did this for me a while back when I was in a very hard place in a tenancy and being bullied and as they are "official" they were able to get progress. Saved me a very hard confrontation.

Graces7 wrote: »
    please. call Threshold. They will advise and guide you accurately and if you need will also act as your advocate with the landlord ie speak with him on all this on your behalf . They did this for me a while back when I was in a very hard place in a tenancy and being bullied and as they are "official" they were able to get progress. Saved me a very hard confrontation.

Threshold and “accurately” are two words that have no place in the same paragraph.

Threshold and “accurately” are two words that have no place in the same paragraph.

You are totally wrong. I have had accurate and reliable dealings with them several times in my years of private renting here in Ireland and never a problem. Always accurate always helpful and constructive. Always supportive; saved a lease from a bad landlord for me

What exact dealings have YOU had please? As a tenant? Not as a landlord .

Graces7 wrote: »
    You are totally wrong. I have had accurate and reliable dealings with them several times in my years of private renting here in Ireland and never a problem. Always accurate always helpful and constructive. Always supportive; saved a lease from a bad landlord for me

What exact dealings have YOU had please? As a tenant? Not as a landlord .

None but you only have to see the reports in the media and in here of their anti-LL stance and very often illegal and incorrect advice.

None but you only have to see the reports in the media and in here of their anti-LL stance and very often illegal and incorrect advice.

I have never seen any such reports; only vague accusations with no substance ; please show us the exact words?
    I am sure that if Threshold had acted illegally and incorrectly they would have been taken to court? Erroneous allegations are meaningless and invalid

As I have said, I have never had any such issues with them. The OP is a tenant with a very great need for support in a situation with a very bad landlord and Threshold are the people to help and guide her in this, Winter is coming and unless her landlord is sorted ?

This is what matters here. The OP.

Threshold will support and guide her within tenancy law and speak for her if she needs that as I did. Great folk.

Over and out from me on this.

And again; in all these years I have had only accurate and legal support and advice from Threshold - as a tenant in need. The Op can check that on the RTB site also.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,233 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Browney7 wrote: »
    He's totally abdicating his responsibility here. It's guys like him who fuel the stories that the media lap up that drive the tenant legislation that LLs scream blue murder over. Pretty simple

I read “
    I spoke to my landlord first about the smoke and he said I will have to pay a plumber to service it , but the other problems have come up and he says it is my responsibility to get it all fixed“

I read it as the landlord said “ I will have to pay a plumber to service it , “
    In that the landlord said he’ll pay for it but the other stuff is on the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ashes2014

I got my oil for the winter delivered last week, and the delivery man said there's a hole in the tank. I can't switch on my heating without going out to the boiler and bleeding it. On top of that it is chucking out black smoke. Not sure if there's a problem elsewhere but hot taps aren't working, just dropping cold water. I spoke to my landlord first about the smoke and he said I will have to pay a plumber to service it , but the other problems have come up and he says it is my responsibility to get it all fixed. Is this correct? I am here over a year but have never used the oil heating.

My landlord lives next door so I'm afraid to start bad relations..plus I'm worried if I question it he will evict me. Fridge and washing machine are broken also but the house was rented as unfurnished so I'm thinking these are my responsibility?

I ma a HaP tenant so I am contracted with them to stay here for at least a year, although I am part 4 I believe? Years contract expires a few months ago.

Ah Op, that sounds terrible. Your landlord sounds like a right chancer. As you know he is obliged to provide you with white goods and heating. You cant keep paying for stuff yourself-the heating issue sounds like it could be expensive. You have talked to him a couple of times, I would try writing to him next and see if you get a response, if not consider informing your local authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭MacDanger

This LL sounds like a complete c*nt and a bully.

It's 100% his responsibility to get the boiler & heating fixed.

As previously, he's obliged to provide white goods when renting a property. He doesn't need to fix your appliances but you can get rid of them and he should provide replacements.

If I were you, I'd put it in writing to him that it's his responsibility as a landlord as per the 2004 Residential Tenancies Act, to maintain the property in good condition particularly in relation to 1) there must be hot and cold water available; 2) A 4-ring hob, oven, grill, fridge, freezer (or combined fridgefreezer),and microwave oven must be provided; 3) appliances must be in good working order; 4) Provision of laundry facilities like a washing machine and access to a dryer (if there is no access to a yard). Currently the property does not fulfil *whichever of these is missing*.

If he cannot complete this work in X days, you will be obliged to pay to have this work done yourself (i.e. fix the boiler, etc.) but as per the 2004 Residential Tenancies Act, it is his responsibility to reimburse you for these expenses. If he fails to do so. you will be opening a dispute with the RTB against his for breach of landlord obligations and recovery of your expenses.

In parallel with sending/giving that letter to him, you should also contact Threshold and the local authority to get some advice.

Good luck with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭MacDanger

You should have it in writing first that you you have requested that he fix the issue before you pay for it yourself (otherwise he could claim that you didn't ask him to fix it). Once you've asked him in writing and he fails to resolve it in a timely manner, you can pay for it yourself and then raise an RTB dispute to reclaim your money

Advertisement