Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Curve - what’s it all about then

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Can i use curve with other prepaid mastercards?
    Can i transfer through curve back to a bank account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

retalivity wrote: »
    Can i use curve with other prepaid mastercards?
    Can i transfer through curve back to a bank account?

works with revolut and bunq prepaid cards for me

no as youre not loading the curve card your paying via it from your other card

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Frynge wrote: »
    I put in for £1000.00. Anyone else gamble on it?

me too for £1000. Hope it doesn't affect my grandfathered black legacy, as I have free membership on that

I'm curious about this overfunding business - will we all get squeezed immediately for them to stick to their 2% equity target (that was allowed for £1m)?

I went in for a smaller investment, was debating the 1k but the only money I have quick access to is making nice interest in nexo so I didn’t bother touching it.

They raised 1m in 4 minutes.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Put in for £100 myself. Am a big fan of the product so it's nice to have some skin in the game, no matter how microscopic! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I completely forgot about it. Had a small bit I could have taken a punt with. Oversubscribed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,441 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Frynge wrote: »
    I put in for £1000.00. Anyone else gamble on it?

The lack of detail regarding the equity split for crowdfunding in what passed for a prospectus put me off TBH.

I also have concerns regarding how they present their figures.
    For example presenting their growth rate at 307% year on year and strongly implying it's a sustainable rate.
    The math behind how they will actually make money, where is it?
    I like their service, particularly because it's free.
    If it becomes a pay service, I'll ditch it and use something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,972 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I got a message saying they are having problems with processing and to carry a back up card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Is it better to use Curve or Revolut for fx?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Fanny **** wrote: »
    Is it better to use Curve or Revolut for fx?

I’ve found Curve’s rates to be a tiny bit better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭arrowman

I have been using Revolut for a while now and find it excellent.

I have just got a replacement Revolut card as my old one expired and the new card is a VISA whereas my old one was a MasterCard
    From what I understand the Curve card is a Mastercard so if I signed up and added my Revolut (now VISA) then if I used my Curve for a transaction then it would be regarded as a MasterCard transaction? Am I right in this?

Also I wanted to double up on the fe free ATM withdrawal allowances by using the €200 limit on Revolut plus the €200 on Curve giving an effective €400 per month fee free ATM cash withdrawals

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Has anyone used the Go Back in Time Feature? I made a purchase using my curve card (linked to my current account) on Tuesday night. I realised after I got the notification that I used the wrong card and used the Go Back in Time Feature to change the card to my credit card. The money is gone from my current account and the transaction is showing up in my credit card as well. Will Curve just refund the money back into my current account now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Yeah it should show up as refunded in the curve app on the card you paid with originally

Pacifico wrote: »
    Yeah it should show up as refunded in the curve app on the card you paid with originally

Just showed up back in my account this morning, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

https://support.imaginecurve.com/hc/en-gb/articles/213636689-Can-I-use-Curve-to-pay-a-hotel-or-rental-deposit-

This sounds like it means I can, but want to check if anyone else has experience of this. I'm going to the US soon and plan to rent a car. Past experience tells me that they insist on putting a hold on your credit card, with no option to pay a refundable deposit by debit card, or else you are forced to pay a hefty insurance fee.

As I don't own a credit card this is a problem. The above link implies that Curve solves this. Is this the case even if the "real" card behind Curve is a debit card? Has anyone tried it and had success?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Now work's with Google Pay in the U.K. but not Republic of Ireland so far.

Nice, hopefully Apple Pay won't be long following. It will be a great workaround for people with banks that don't yet support Apple Pay and Google Pay. I'd say a lot of people will join Curve just for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 EmonMCC

Lads,

just seeing this today for the first time. Very interesting concept for someone who carries several cards to use in different situations to save fees and maximise cashback.

Can anyone confirm please if the Avantcard cashback works flawlessly with Curve?

Apple Pay is now supported by Curve. It was a bit tricky to add the card to Wallet, but it's working now.
    https://www.curve.app/en-gb/f/apple-pay

I added my Revolut card to Curve, it's detected as GBP card. I changed it to Euro, is this optimal. Assuming I'm using it in the Eurozone?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

cisk wrote: »
    I added my Revolut card to Curve, it's detected as GBP card. I changed it to Euro, is this optimal. Assuming I'm using it in the Eurozone?

Yeah, setting it to euro makes sense.

Just remember, for any non-euro transactions, you need to first set the card to the currency of each transaction if you want Revolut to handle the currency-conversion. That shouldn't be necessary though unless you exceed the £500/month fee-free limit on FX transactions with Curve.

Ah brilliant, thanks for clearing it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

quokula wrote: »
    https://support.imaginecurve.com/hc/en-gb/articles/213636689-Can-I-use-Curve-to-pay-a-hotel-or-rental-deposit-

This sounds like it means I can, but want to check if anyone else has experience of this. I'm going to the US soon and plan to rent a car. Past experience tells me that they insist on putting a hold on your credit card, with no option to pay a refundable deposit by debit card, or else you are forced to pay a hefty insurance fee.

As I don't own a credit card this is a problem. The above link implies that Curve solves this. Is this the case even if the "real" card behind Curve is a debit card? Has anyone tried it and had success?

Did you ever find out? Interested to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Can we post our promo codes here (where if you use it, we both get £5 after you make a purchase)? Or if anyone wants mine, I can pm it.

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

_Godot_ wrote: »
    Can we post our promo codes here (where if you use it, we both get £5 after you make a purchase)? Or if anyone wants mine, I can pm it.

Not here, but there is a referral thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057997897

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Always always lock your card when not in use!

yesterday I had three attempted fraudulent online transactions declined for my card - thankfully I had it locked. They weren't small transactions either. Someone was trying to add money to Joompay - I hadn't heard of this until now.
    I had made a paypal transaction only 10 minutes previous and then locked the card afterwards. I have no idea how the card number got out, as I've really only used it with PayPal to avoid fees.

I must say Curve are very very slow to respond on this, but I was just lucky that no money was taken.

I have removed all other cards from my account as a precaution while I await their response on next steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭v10

They've added Apple Pay today which is great and a feature I've been waiting for. Now I can use Apple Pay with all my cards, without carrying any.

Any sign of Google Pay arriving with Curve?

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

Any sign of Google Pay arriving with Curve?

Partially already available, see here https://community.curve.app/t/weve-launched-google-pay/14683

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭caddy16

I see these offer samsung pay but only for the UK, is there anyway around this? Want to purchase an app but can only do so through samsung pay?

Advertisement