Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ladies Only Learn to Lift Workshop - 4.0

• 24-10-2018 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭

Greetings good people of the fitness forum...

Most of you probably don't know me because I don't really post here much anymore ... that being said, some of you might - and those that do will probably vouch for how deadly and sound I am :pac:

Anyway.. Its been ages since we ran a Ladies Learn to Lift Seminar...

The first one was back in 2010 in raw under the watchful eye of G'em and JayRoc (the latter still lurks here from time to time :D ). Anyway it was deadly, banter was had, things were lifted, high fives were exchanged and all was well in the world.

(Read about that one here >>> https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055936775

Three years later he who shall not be named (lets call him Jame Shanley) and our very own weightlifing/powerlifting extraordinaire gymfreak (some of you know her too) took the reigns and did the second one in one of the previous incarnations of there that shall not be named (lets call it Jevolution Hitness) and many more excellent things were picked up and ideas exchanged.

(Read about that one here >>> https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057063080

Another 3 years went by and I ran one myself out in Sandyford... T'was might craic and I remain friends with many who attended to this day.

(Read about that one here >>> https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=98425705

Now.... I hate to break with the three year cycle but I'm going to run another one because (A) I am no longer constrained by commercial gym hell and (B) why the hell not.

The plan (this next bit is a copy & paste job from the last thread)
    COH wrote:

- Quick talk about how and why lifting weights is great, how it won’t make you bulky etc.
    - How to warm up correctly
    - How to squat, deadlift and do other awesome things with a barbell
    - How to fit these movements into your gym schedule

Then we’ll spend about an hour or so talking about nutrition in general, how you can structure your own, how it can and should support your goals etc.

Sound good so far?

Deadly...

So the location... EverStrength Fitness. Its a stones throw from Grand Canal Dock just over the bridge in Ringsend Village at the back of the Aviva Stadium.

The cost?

Entirely free. This forum has been great to me over he years and even though I don't post much anymore it remains good to me so I'm happy to give a little back.

The date?

I'm thinking a Sunday because parking is free in the area and it won't interfere with the gyms weekly schedule.

Option A - Nov 14th
    Option B - Nov 21st

Comment below with what date you would prefer.

The Time

Assume we'll kick off around 11 - and assume it will run til mid-late afternoon but we can iron out the details once we know who's coming.

As always its first come first serve - don't take a space if you can't attend as you're taking what will be a very enjoyable informative day away from the next person on the list.

Numbers are going to be strictly capped at 8-10 people. If the demand is WAY above that we might look at running both dates... but assume for the time being its one or the other.

COH wrote:
    If you take a spot and cancel last minute or don't turn up I can tell you I don't have money... but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you come and lift with us, that will be the end of it - I will not look for you, I will not pursue you... but if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you... and I will kill you

Ok that last part was Liam Neeson but you get the picture.

So... to secure your place just comment below and let me know what date you would prefer. I'll confirm your spot via PM later in the week.

Oh wait .. what about the lads!

Yeah we can run a Lads Learn to Lift Workshop too if there is sufficient demand, just post below and if there's enough people we'll organise a separate date for that.

What do you need to bring?

Comfortable training gear, pen and paper if you like, and open mind :)

*DISCLAIMER*

This is for people relatively new to lifting in general - not experienced/competitive lifters and especially not for 'fitness professionals'.

So now then ...

Who's in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭whippet

i'd love to but i'm trying to grow a beard at the moment !!!

but seriously - this would be a great opportunity for anyone who would like to go to the other part of the gym but don't have the confidence and end up on the cross trainer every time

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

As someone who has been trained by COH for a good while, all i can say is I highly recommend this to anyone.

You'll learn a lot, you'll be confident on the gym as a result because you'll know what's what and you'll havr craic on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I might even drop in myself and make the circle complete

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I got started on the second one of these and highly encourage any newbies who are curious to go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,695 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Ye I’d do this on the lads side. Wasn’t there something like this for lads a couple of years back, but never took off for whatever reason?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I can't remember which one I attended but it was very useful and I still employ the techniques learned there today. Not covered in the class: how to fob off eejitty men who come over to mansplain what you're "doing wrong".

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kmcd18

Interested - Nov 14 suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭alphaLaura

Very interested in this and Nov 14th works for me also.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

I'd like to attend, either date works for me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭COH

It has been very rightly pointed out that the dates in the original post are in fact Wednesdays.... not Sundays

We'll run with the Sunday the 18th if that suits people.

Apologies!

• Advertisement

4 spots gone... 4ish spots left :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭alphaLaura

18th still works for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

How generous of you to give your time and expertise once again, COH - thanks so much.

I came to the one back in 2013, I thought about it recently when I was cycling down Richmond Road, I remembered how nervous I was, but how I needen't have been - it was totally fun and informative and everyone was lovely. But I never got into lifting, so I'd love to come to this one for a refresher, if that was OK.

Sunday 18th is perfect, I live just around the corner, so please count me in, thanks again!

c

quaalude wrote: »
    How generous of you to give your time and expertise once again, COH - thanks so much.

I came to the one back in 2013, I thought about it recently when I was cycling down Richmond Road, I remembered how nervous I was, but how I needen't have been - it was totally fun and informative and everyone was lovely. But I never got into lifting, so I'd love to come to this one for a refresher, if that was OK.

Sunday 18th is perfect, I live just around the corner, so please count me in, thanks again!

c

Of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

I went to the very first one and it was awesome. Time went by and I fell out of lifting and fitness in general. If there's a spare space, and I do mean a space that no one else can use, any chance I could come as a means to ease/kick myself back to touch?

COH wrote: »
    Of course :)

Hi COH - I told a friend who lives local about it and she’d love to come, but has no boards account - so can I have a plus one? Thanks!

Jessibelle wrote: »
    I went to the very first one and it was awesome. Time went by and I fell out of lifting and fitness in general. If there's a spare space, and I do mean a space that no one else can use, any chance I could come as a means to ease/kick myself back to touch?

No problem
    quaalude wrote: »
    Hi COH - I told a friend who lives local about it and she’d love to come, but has no boards account - so can I have a plus one? Thanks!

She's more than welcome

So.... 7 spots gone. Let's say 1 left.

Confirmed list so far is as follows:

kmcd18
    alphaLaura
    Twenty10 +1
    quaalude +1
    Jessibelle

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭beamer-89

I'd be very interested in this if it's still on the 18th and there's space left!

beamer-89 wrote: »
    I'd be very interested in this if it's still on the 18th and there's space left!

Congrats - you are the final piece of the puzzle.

Just to confirm the final list:

kmcd18
    alphaLaura
    Twenty10 +1
    quaalude +1
    Jessibelle
    beamer-89

Delighted to have you all aboard - its going to be a fun day :)

• Advertisement

Well done to all of you who sacrificed your Sunday and came down today - You all did great and was a pleasure to have you all down at EverStrength

Expect to be sore basically head to toe tomorrow :)

To any of you who have not sent me on your email address please do and I'lll send you on a recap of everything that we covered today as well as the warm up/training material as promised.

Raging I didn't get a pic of the group training!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

And many thanks to you for giving us your time today, I found it really informative and it has inspired me to get back to regular training. I'd forgotten how much I enjoy it. Best of luck with your new gym, you have a great set up 👍

Twenty10 wrote: »
    And many thanks to you for giving us your time today, I found it really informative and it has inspired me to get back to regular training. I'd forgotten how much I enjoy it. Best of luck with your new gym, you have a great set up 👍

Delighted to hear it - And thank you :)

COH wrote: »
    Well done to all of you who sacrificed your Sunday and came down today - You all did great and was a pleasure to have you all down at EverStrength

Expect to be sore basically head to toe tomorrow :)

To any of you who have not sent me on your email address please do and I'lll send you on a recap of everything that we covered today as well as the warm up/training material as promised.

Raging I didn't get a pic of the group training!

Thanks so much - it was a great day, really informative, gave me loads to think about.
    My +1 loved it too - we'll both be telling everyone local how great your gym is :)

Advertisement