Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knock/Eirtrade thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭embraer170

Inbound to knock on Friday between 1300-1400 for scrapping F-HPJB

Well the flight did not happen yesterday. Any idea when it might be expected?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

embraer170 wrote: »
    Well the flight did not happen yesterday. Any idea when it might be expected?

Yesterday was Tuesday??

Yesterday was Tuesday??

I misread the post. I didn't realise it said Friday.

I hope there are some people in NOC on Friday with good cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭eastmayo

I misread the post. I didn't realise it said Friday.

I hope there are some people in NOC on Friday with good cameras.

From what I hear it will not arrive this Friday, more towards the end off this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

eastmayo wrote: »
    From what I hear it will not arrive this Friday, more towards the end off this month.

I’m kind of surprised at the time of 13:00 - 14:00. This will draw a large crowd if/when it happens. Surely that time of day would be busy at the airport, and there would be a risk of arriving passengers getting delayed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

First sets of aircrafts are normally hot beds for errors. Manufacturers get information about what's wrong with them from the airlines and they'll fix those problems on newer aircraft. Very normal to scrap 10 year old planes if you're the first one to get it. Consider this as a beta test if you're the first one to get the aircraft. Any problems you have, report it to the developer i.e. Airbus and they'll sort them out. Within 2 years of first aircraft delivered, the issues are pretty much solved.

hopeso wrote: »
    I’m kind of surprised at the time of 13:00 - 14:00. This will draw a large crowd if/when it happens. Surely that time of day would be busy at the airport, and there would be a risk of arriving passengers getting delayed.

It’s scheduled to arrive after the last departure for two hours. It will have 60 mins to land and be moved to the central apron where it will be dismantled. More than enough time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Someone asked on Twitter and the airport said there's no truth to the rumours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

easypazz wrote: »
    I'd imagine airports will start culling the infrastructure for them too, double airbridge etc., so the number of available route options will fall.

Gatwick just added another A380 capable gate late last year for Emirates 380 so if the aircraft are coming the airports will accommodate them if the numbers add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Someone asked on Twitter and the airport said there's no truth to the rumours

I believe the question that was asked was “was it due in on Friday” to which they replied “No”

• Advertisement

I believe the question that was asked was “was it due in on Friday” to which they replied “No”

"I heard a rumor there's a A380 arriving into Knock on Friday to be dismantled.. Any truth to it ?

"No"

Exact tweets.

I've seen the Air France dispatch webpage and its on it to depart Dresden at 1100 local and arrive NOC at 13:30, even has the captains name on it.

Elaborate hoax or has it been delayed. Note Eirtrade webpage says they dismantle out aircraft up to and including A380's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I'd love to see an operating cost analysis for the A380. The big twins are more efficient, but that was the case even when the A380 was launched. Are they a maintenance black hole?
    It only ever made sense on a small number of ultra-busy slot-limited long-haul routes, and Emirates aside I think a lot of its market share was simply cannibalising the 747. A major problem is the huge losses that result from not filling up the plane..

Will have to call up for that, should see it leaving dresden on flight radar.
    Maybe the airport don't want a crowd blocking access roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Manuel

L1011 wrote: »
    Eitrade have a hangar and pad which they've scrapped plenty of other airframes on

https://eirtradeaviation.com/asset-management/aircraft-storage-disassembly/

Crikey, you'd make a fair few miraculous medals from the frame of an A380 ....

Will have to call up for that, should see it leaving dresden on flight radar.
    Maybe the airport don't want a crowd blocking access roads.

It would be a good free PR opportunity for the airport if done right.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,801 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Can't imagine the lessor would be keen for any publicity about this, but it is history being made - in a way :(

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Can't imagine the lessor would be keen for any publicity about this, but it is history being made - in a way :(

Its not the first A380 to be scrapped, and not the first airframe to be scrapped at NOC either so its not quite as momentous as it could be.

Even if it wasn't being scrapped, the arrival of a 380 to anywhere Ireland, let alone Knock, would be a big deal.

Life ain't always empty.

Even if it wasn't being scrapped, the arrival of a 380 to anywhere Ireland, let alone Knock, would be a big deal.

There have been A380s in Dublin and Shannon before. But an A380 at an Irish regional airport, that would be quite something.

What wide-bodies has Knock seen before? I presume some Boeing 767s at various times.

I know Kerry handled a TAP Air Portugal Airbus A310 in the mid-1990s, not long after the new runway opened. There was once a photo in a special Kerry airport supplement in the local paper (Kerryman), but I have never been able to locate it again. Kerry even had a Concorde fly-by once. Now those were different times...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

What wide-bodies has Knock seen before? I presume some Boeing 767s at various times.

Globespan may have used 767s sometimes on GLA-NOC-JFK but it was scheduled for a 757 as were the more recent EI BOS/JFK charters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Manuel

747 visited Knock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzGW6XepzPY

When was there an A380 in Dublin, other than up the Liffey?

Flight now arriving Monday 10th at 1500, today is Wednesday ;-) so not arriving today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

There have been A380s in Dublin and Shannon before. But an A380 at an Irish regional airport, that would be quite something.

Only Shannon has had A380s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

Is there any particular location at Knock to get a good view, for anyone going? It's years since I was there....

hopeso wrote: »
    Is there any particular location at Knock to get a good view, for anyone going? It's years since I was there....

Up by the water tower if its still there. Watched a BA jumbo come in from there before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Car99 wrote: »
    Gatwick just added another A380 capable gate late last year for Emirates 380 so if the aircraft are coming the airports will accommodate them if the numbers add up.

That was probably in planning / construction for a number of years before that.

Its hard to see too many airports designing the A380 into any new infrastructure, as the number of airframes starts to decline.

If there are no fatal crashes between now and the end of service I wonder would it be the first large production carrier ever to not have that dubious honour.

easypazz wrote: »
    If there are no fatal crashes between now and the end of service I wonder would it be the first large production carrier ever to not have that dubious honour.

A319 hasn't, and there's nearly 1500 of them in service, doing several cycles a day.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

A319 hasn't, and there's nearly 1500 of them in service, doing several cycles a day.

There are a few types which have never had a fatality, or even a hull loss (there were 3 x A319 hull losses, but thankfully no fatalities).

Mostly newer types such as the 787s, neos, A340s, A350s etc, but older fleets such as the Boeing 717 for example has had no fatalities or hull losses, same as the Bombardier C Series variants.

Of the various older plane types which have had fatalities I think the 747-8 is the only sub series variant with no fatalities or hull losses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭circular flexing

cnocbui wrote: »
    I was very recently reading an article on choosing flights and it was saying for economy seating, particularly long duration, your best bet was an A380. It's certainly would be my preference for a 12 hour flight. This is a retrograde step from the point of view of passenger comfort.

Why is economy A380 the best bet? Surely the comfort level depends on the airline trim.

Advertisement