Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork to Vigo ferry starting in 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Ya, two Spanish routes compeating againest each other.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

roundymac wrote: »
    Ya, two Spanish routes compeating againest each other.:confused:

But will they be competing against each other though. To drive from Santander to Vigo is 575km, a 5.5 hour drive. Also Vigo is close to the Portugal border. Competition is good anyway. I think the operator is connected to Grimaldi Lines. Time will tell.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

EU funding to ports of regional significance will soften the competition aspect. They've been trying to access this funding for quite some time. It may not last all that long, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

In the event of a no deal it may be funded more heavily by Europe as part of brexit mitigation measures to ensure free flow of goods and people.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭frisket

roundymac wrote: »
    Ya, two Spanish routes competing against each other.:confused:

Nothing wrong with a little healthy competition: it keeps them on their toes. Better than the unhealthy "competition" on the Rosslare–Pembroke Dock/Fishguard route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

Vigo is a great spot , lots of tradition of ancient irish trade there, they see their ancestors as celts and love the paddies. There’s always a handful of irish sailing boats tied up, it’s a straight run from cork avoiding the bay of bisquay, Vigo inlet is sort of as big as cork harbor and worth exploring, particularly combarro, with its village and some pubs built into caves .
    Exploring Galicia from vigo is like going to a Spain you’ve never experienced, nothing like the costas, best food, wine and cool weather with green landscapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Where do I book? Never been to Spain or Portugal. Should be able to nab both if you go on this.

Should increase the longevity of your car as well if you bring it on this ferry. A belt of the Spanish heat will keep electrical gremlins caused by dampness away for years to come

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Re: "Cork to Vigo ferry starting in 2020"

As next Saturday is 1st February, I was wondering if there has been any official confirmation regarding this proposed service since initial reports published last year?

All seems very unlikely given lack of information from reliable sources.

New Cork-Spain ferry route close to final green light

The "Brexit Buster" ferry route will link Cork with Plymouth in the UK and Vigo in Spain

https://i2-prod.corkbeo.ie/incoming/article17735269.ece/ALTERNATES/s810/1_Port-of-Corkjpeg.jpg
    The delegation from Cork and their Spanish counterparts in Vigo this week.

A new year-round ferry route linking Cork with Vigo in northern Spain - via Plymouth - has taken a big step towards launching this Spring or early Summer.

A delegation of Port of Cork officials travelled to Vigo this week to meet with port officials and ferry operators to finalise arrangements for the new service, which would replace the Cork-Santander service which stops operating at the end of this month.

The loss of the Brittany Ferries operated Cork-Santander route had been met with dismay in Cork, from local businesses, exporters and holiday-makers.

However this new ferry service - as first reported by CorkBeo in October - should provide a much needed transport and trade route in the post-Brexit environment, travelling between Cork, Plymouth and Spain.

The planned joint venture involving one of Europe's biggest ferry operators along with shipping companies in Spain will operate a three-times a week, year round service between Spain, the UK and Ireland.

It would serve tourism as well as being a so-called "Brexit Buster" that provides a new link between Ireland and the continent for imports and exports.

As major new port facilities come online in Cork Harbour, this new route would underline just how important the port of Cork could become in a post-Brexit environment.

Chief Executive of the Port of Cork Brendan Keating was among those to travel to Vigo this week to meet with their Spanish counterparts and discuss the proposed line which is seen as a priority for our two historic port cities.

The Port Authority of Vigo had sent a delegation to Cork before Christmas to discuss the new route, even as Brittany Ferries was making plans to end the Cork-Santander route and instead operate their Spanish link from Rosslare.

A statement from Port of Vigo said the visit by the Cork delegation had been a success and the new Cork-Plymouth-Vigo route was "highly sought after by the fishing and transport logistics sectors - potential customers have exceeded initial forecasts".

Article published on CorkBeo.ie 12 February 2020
    https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/new-cork-spain-ferry-route-17735299

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/new-cork-spain-ferry-route-17652516

Other sources:
    https://www.apvigo.es/es/paginas/noticias/app1/noticias/ver/167/la-apv-recibe-la-visita-de-responsables-del-puerto-irlandes-de-cork.html

https://www.apvigo.es/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,811 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

How long will the ferry take? I'm booked for the Rosslare-Bilbao ferry and that's 30 hours. If the ferry has to go to Plymouth and then Vigo it'll be a long time on a ferry.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    How long will the ferry take? I'm booked for the Rosslare-Bilbao ferry and that's 30 hours. If the ferry has to go to Plymouth and then Vigo it'll be a long time on a ferry.

I've read somewhere in the region of up to 28 hours so not more than the Rosslare-Bilbao route if that's 30 hours duration.

I gather that the proposed Cork/Plymouth/Vigo service will have some similarities with the soon to end Cork Santander and about to open Rosslare Bilbao routes in that they are all primarily aimed at transporting freight for export & import while also accommodating vehicles & passengers to a certain degree. It's success will rely on year-round freight I would imagine.

Further details on what is proposed although; not confirmed via below link.

Courtesy: CorkBeo.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Any word if these will be vehicle only like Cork-Santander or will there be space for foot passengers and cyclists?

It just mentions this, which doesn't sound too clear.
    The year round "Ro-pax" (roll-on/roll-off freight and passenger) service would serve tourism as well as being a so-called "Brexit Buster" that provides a new link between Ireland and the continent for imports and exports.

The passenger side will see tickets on sale for €350 to take a car and two passengers over and back on a trip that will take up to 28 hours between Spain and Ireland.

Then it mentions the Camino, but people are not going to drive on a ferry to then walk the Camino in Spain?
    Vigo is also a great access point to the Camino Way, the hugely popular pilgrimage route along the coast of North Western Spain, as well as the popular tourist regions of northern Spain and Portugal.

KevRossi wrote: »
    Any word if these will be vehicle only like Cork-Santander or will there be space for foot passengers and cyclists?

It just mentions this, which doesn't sound too clear.

Quote:
    "The year round "Ro-pax" (roll-on/roll-off freight and passenger) service would serve tourism as well as being a so-called "Brexit Buster" that provides a new link between Ireland and the continent for imports and exports. The passenger side will see tickets on sale for €350 to take a car and two passengers over and back on a trip that will take up to 28 hours between Spain and Ireland."

Then it mentions the Camino, but people are not going to drive on a ferry to then walk the Camino in Spain?

Quote:
    "Vigo is also a great access point to the Camino Way, the hugely popular pilgrimage route along the coast of North Western Spain, as well as the popular tourist regions of northern Spain and Portugal."

Unlikely that it will permit Foot Passengers/Cyclists as it only referred to a car & passengers with the rate price of €350 (Car & 2 passengers return trip) in relation to the passenger aspect although; nothing has been officially confirmed as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,811 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I've read somewhere in the region of up to 28 hours so not more than the Rosslare-Bilbao route if that's 30 hours duration.

I gather that the proposed Cork/Plymouth/Vigo service will have some similarities with the soon to end Cork Santander and about to open Rosslare Bilbao routes in that they are all primarily aimed at transporting freight for export & import while also accommodating vehicles & passengers to a certain degree. It's success will rely on year-round freight I would imagine.

Further details on what is proposed although; not confirmed via below link.

Courtesy: CorkBeo.ie

Cork to Vigo would be about 30 hours, but it's also going to have to stop in Plymouth so that's several extra hours sailing with a few more for unloading/loading. I can't see how a ferry going to Plymouth and then either Cork or Vigo can take the same time as a direct from Cork-Santander or Rosslare-Bilbao.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Cork to Vigo would be about 30 hours, but it's also going to have to stop in Plymouth so that's several extra hours sailing with a few more for unloading/loading. I can't see how a ferry going to Plymouth and then either Cork or Vigo can take the same time as a direct from Cork-Santander or Rosslare-Bilbao.

It does seem a very optimistic time-frame alright unless; it will be organised in a different way altogether.

Perhaps it is intended to operate from Cork-Vigo-Plymouth whereby; the Cork to Vigo element is expected to take up to 28 hours?

Otherwise, if it is planned to go from Cork to Plymouth to Vigo, I've no idea why they would have referenced "up to 28 hours" in the article published in CorkBeo.ie recently.

I would imagine that the Port of Cork will not want to see a situation of yet another ferry operation being set up on a trial basis only to be axed within 2 years coming so soon after the Cork Santander service was cancelled and switched to Rosslare Bilbao instead. The additional loss of the mid-week Cork Roscoff sailings which will depart ex-Rosslare from March has also been an additional blow for the Port of Cork and Ringaskiddy Ferryport not to mention the effect on Cork/Kerry tourism.

Until the proposed Cork Vigo route is officially confirmed along with the ferry operator, this is all just speculation.

Advertisement