Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Code and notations in Revision/cancelled books

• 18-01-2020 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭

Can anyone explain to me what the attached image is referring to, please? I've posted the direct link below (hope it works!)

https://apps.proni.gov.uk/Val12B/ImageResult.aspx

If not it's the 1920-1929 Revision book on the PRONI website for the Killery (sic) parish, Camlough DED (it's actually Killevy) page 150, Patrick Doran.

In the Observations column there a large capital 'A' but no 'LAP' stamp nor is it 'in fee'. To my eyes it reads <obs col 1913>

I can tell you from the previous book Patrick took over the tenancy from his father Michael whose name was crossed out in 1912 (land only) and in 1913 a 'house and offices' were added. Patrick was married in 1911 and had twins born in 1912.

Can anyone advise me as to a decent website that explains the various terms, codes, abbreviations etc in the cancelled/revision books?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Replying to my own post I know but I figured out the abbreviated words. They just mean: observations column 1913 (as in see; refer to...).

I still can't figure out or find info on the large capital letter 'A'. Does it stand for 'Act' as in Land Purchase Act? Was Patrick in the process of buying the land from James Richardson, the landlord? Unlike a lot of the others entries though, on the pages before and after, there's no 'LAP' stamp, nor does it mention it was 'in fee' (see the very next entry).

Any help appreciated. I'm at a loss on the 'A'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

Can you post the volume number and name the townland? I can't find the entry from the information given.

In fee L.A.P. might mean that it is owned by the person named as the occupier, and bought under a Land Purchase Act.

If this is a tenancy, in fee L.A.P. wouldn't be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Reference: VAL/12/B/15/6J (1920 - 1929)

Carrickbrackan TD, page 150 plot 46

I know all about LAP and what it means, thanks. It's the letter 'A' in the observations column I need help with de-coding.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I'm away from my reference books but you could check Frances McGee's book of the history of the Valuation archives. That is the best source of details. You could also try asking PRONI or the Dublin valuation office who probably know of the top of their heads.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SophieLockhart

"Capital letters after the subdivision number (e.g. ‘2A, B ,C’) are used to label subdivisions within a lot and indicate separate parcels of property in the townland held by the same individual." That's for Griffith's valuation but maybe there's a connection to your image.

• Advertisement
Advertisement