Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow / Ice warning Mon 21 pm to Tues 22 Jan 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

right back at you gaoth laidir.

its no different to your broken record about northwesterlies and cheap atlantic muck.

it brings snow to people,get over it.

It's probably better to read posts (e.g. my snow parameters post) fully and carefully before making accusations of bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

It's looking even more marginal if you going by 12zgfs. low level snow very unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

GFS 12z has a week long northerly starting next Sunday. It will be cold going by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

GFS 12z has a week long northerly starting next Sunday. It will be cold going by it.

It will be pushed out to middle of February come Thursday/fridays charts

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Nothing-to-See-15a34a2fc727c8.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Shows how bad this winter has been. Arguing over sloppy scraps lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭pad199207

Billcarson wrote: »

But it is what it is, sloppy. That’s the stuff that comes from the Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Billcarson

pad199207 wrote: »
    Billcarson wrote: »

But it is what it is, sloppy. That’s the stuff that comes from the Atlantic.

Indeed polar maritime air. pm air. Poor man's cold I call it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note:

Off topic posts removed.

Please remain on topic and refrain from personal attacks.

Read the forum charter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM 12Z not too keen on snow apart from the NW

4xYUqrS.png

DpN8jJa.png

29OjCYY.png

QL73ohl.png

K85JM72.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The gfs has downgraded slightly this evening. A marginal situation gets even more marginal. Falling snow yes lying snow not really

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

the thing that makes me laugh is we'd be knee deep in a desperate technical thread if slop was approaching elsewhere in the country.

not mentioning anywhere in particular,dublin,oh there i said it.

marginal slop equality rights.

Discusing this is no less desperate than people driving to the summits of the wicklow mountains to see a bit of dandruff along the sides of the road.

so stick it up yer jaxy,with the moaning.

We may get more 'slop' in the wesht, but it is still more slop that those in the east get. Snow is snow!

I suppose, from a westerner's perspective, we are positioned in a relatively lucky position regarding snow. It can come from the SW, W, NW, N, NE, E and SE if conditions are favourable.

For example, snow cover from an Arctic sourced NW'ly in 2010:

https://edware.ie/2010/11/snow-across-ireland/

Non-slop snow doesn't always have to come from the east.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looks like we are no longer getting a 'direct hit' from this brief sniff of cold, the main area of cold now heading more towards Scotland and down the eastern side of the UK. We get swiped by the western edge of the cold. The cold also seems to be getting squeezed out as it moves southwards.

This is definitely looking more like a rain event now with maybe some wintry shower potential and some frost tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

It doesn't.... but generally the most significant amounts of snow tend to come from an easterly, or rather a northerly easterly quadrant. We can get a decent amount of snow from a proper northerly arctic flow, or contrary to what others will have you believe, a potent arctic sourced north westerly. Sadly these days both types of scenarios are rare.
    Anyway I think the showers after this front has passed will bring snow to the north west.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Yup, downgraded several times over the last few runs, my confidence has fallen significantly.

Also, I've been made post this from the new site, which certainly isn't good.

It doesn't.... but generally the most significant amounts of snow tend to come from an easterly, or rather a northerly easterly quadrant. We can get a decent amount of snow from a proper northerly arctic flow, or contrary to what others will have you believe, a potent arctic sourced north westerly. Sadly these days both types of scenarios are rare.
    Anyway I think the showers after this front has passed will bring snow to the north west.

05-C21630-A074-423-C-940-F-DC9920-B61-FEF.jpg

Case Settled :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Yup, downgraded several times over the last few runs, my confidence has fallen significantly.

Also, I've been made post this from the new site, which certainly isn't good.

can-this-day-get-any-worse_o_3457737.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Sadly these days both types of scenarios are rare.
    And rarer they will become. The very source of our Arctic N/NW'lys is now one of the warmest regions, relative to average, on the entire planet.

Keep in mind though, that the biggest snowfall reported in Ireland during the 20th Century came from a northerly.

ERA_1_1917040106_2.png

Sadly, we are unlikely such a depth of pattern in our lifetimes in the deepest of winter, not mind April.

New Moon

The 11pm TAF's have been released.

Shannon - PROB 30 moderate showers of rain and graupel between 10pm and 12am

Knock - Light showers of rain and graupel between 8pm and 12am

PROB 30 moderate showers of sleet between 9pm and 12am

Cork - PROB 30 moderate showers of sleet between 10pm and 12am

The 11pm TAF's have been released.

Shannon - PROB 30 moderate showers of rain and graupel between 10pm and 12am

Knock - Light showers of rain and graupel between 8pm and 12am

PROB 30 moderate showers of sleet between 9pm and 12am

Cork - PROB 30 moderate showers of sleet between 10pm and 12am

Oh no, not these again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

We may get more 'slop' in the wesht, but it is still more slop that those in the east get. Snow is snow!

I suppose, from a westerner's perspective, we are positioned in a relatively lucky position regarding snow. It can come from the SW, W, NW, N, NE, E and SE if conditions are favourable.

For example, snow cover from an Arctic sourced NW'ly in 2010:

https://edware.ie/2010/11/snow-across-ireland/

Ah the Greenland Express, who could forget. Still waiting on the next train...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭sdanseo

By the reports I saw, HIRLAM was essentially spot on for Thursday's snow in midlands and NW. Short lived and gone by mid morning, but that was expected.

With that in mind, I'll just leave this here.

hirlamuk-1-37-0.png?20-23

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Leaving aside the utterly ridiculous snow I experienced in Kildare last March the three best snowfall events of my lifetime all came from direct northerlies (1995, 2000 and 2010). Easterlies and North Easterlies are usually colder but drier for those of us in the north and west. 2009 is a good example of a north easterly, plenty of cold and plenty of snow but never any notable depths

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

11 am TAFS

Knock has rain showers becoming sleet from 8 pm, with a slight chance of moderate snow showers from 3 am to 9 am.

Cork has a slight chance of sleet/hail showers from 4 am to 9 am.

Dublin and Shannon mention only rain or rain/hail showers.

Belfast Aldergrove mentions moderate sleet showers from 7 pm to midnight, then moderate snow showers from midnight to midday tomorrow.

Dublin and Shannon mention only rain or rain/hail showers.

For further clarification, Dublin only mentions rain, and Shannon has rain/graupel showers mentioned.

Status Yellow - Snow-ice warning for Ireland
    Icy and slippery conditions expected due to accumulation of ice and snow on untreated surfaces.

Scattered sleet and snow showers most frequent across Ulster and Connacht will occur but some showers penetrating into central and eastern areas at times with the odd flurry further south. Accumulations generally 1-2cm expected. Wintry showers becoming confined to northern areas by late evening.

Issued: Monday 21 January 2019 11:00

Updated: Monday 21 January 2019 11:00

Valid from Tuesday 22 January 2019 22:00 to Wednesday 23 January 2019 20:00

I feel like they got the time and dates wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I feel like they got the time and dates wrong.

They've fixed it now...

Status Yellow - Snow-ice warning for Ireland

Icy and slippery conditions expected due to accumulation of ice and snow on untreated surfaces.

Scattered sleet and snow showers most frequent across Ulster and Connacht will occur but some showers penetrating into central and eastern areas at times with the odd flurry further south. Accumulations generally 1-2cm expected. Wintry showers becoming confined to northern areas by late evening

Issued: Monday 21 January 2019 11:00

Updated: Monday 21 January 2019 11:00

Valid from Monday 21 January 2019 21:00 to Tuesday 22 January 2019 19:00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

And rarer they will become. The very source of our Arctic N/NW'lys is now one of the warmest regions, relative to average, on the entire planet.

Keep in mind though, that the biggest snowfall reported in Ireland during the 20th Century came from a northerly.

ERA_1_1917040106_2.png

Sadly, we are unlikely such a depth of pattern in our lifetimes in the deepest of winter, not mind April.

In fairness now,that's a returning northeasterly from around the top of Lapland somewhere :D

Mod Note: Changed title to reflect the warning from Met Eireann.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Euro 04 still showing some pink in its 06z update but the parameters for snow look way off to me for everywhere but the far North West. See below

19012206_2106.gif

But see Uppers

19012206_2106.gif

And thickness.....

19012206_2106.gif

Advertisement